Fran outcoached Thad

glidinghawk

Iowa had a great plan to attack that zone, and they played it perfectly. Crisp passing, great on the boards, used clock, and handled the ball except for a three minute stretch.

Matta made no adjustments, until he got his players to tighten the zone in the last 10 minutes.

McCaffery got a lot of minutes for Oglesby, and Josh deserved every one of them. He knew when to get Woodbury, Gesell, and Jok out of the game. I loved his sub patterns for the whole game.

Iowa had a great plan to attack that zone, and they played it perfectly. Crisp passing, great on the boards, used clock, and handled the ball except for a three minute stretch.

Matta made no adjustments, until he got his players to tighten the zone in the last 10 minutes.

McCaffery got a lot of minutes for Oglesby, and Josh deserved every one of them. He knew when to get Woodbury, Gesell, and Jok out of the game. I loved his sub patterns for the whole game.

The one thing I didn't like wss how quick in the game he went to the bench. When your starters score 17 ppints in 4 minutes, there is absolutely no reason to go to the bench that early. Especially when OSU had already called a timeout and a tv timeout was coming. I don't get that at all.

Agree that sub patterns made a lot more sense. I think getting Jok at the 2 and Clemmons to the back up point makes much more sense.

The one thing I didn't like wss how quick in the game he went to the bench. When your starters score 17 ppints in 4 minutes, there is absolutely no reason to go to the bench that early. Especially when OSU had already called a timeout and a tv timeout was coming. I don't get that at all.

This was my only complaint with Fran's subbing today, too.

Thad decided to play the odds, that Iowa would revert to it's usual shooting %. It didn't. Bucks lose.

Fran had Iowa ready to play against Syracuse's zone on a one day turn around earlier this season, we just couldn't hit a ******* shot and thus the offense looked bad. You can draw up the best play but if you don't have guys who can make shots, you're going to struggle.

I'm not sure I really agree... I thought when clemons was in the offense went stagnant - and he left him in a lot.

We won the game because we shot the ball well for one half... I can't imagine if we ever shot the ball for an entire game.

Fran dialed up a key out of bounds play with 6-7 minutes left IIRC to get a easy chance and two free throws.

I thought Fran should have called timeout with 45 seconds to go when we had that shot clock violation.

Fran dialed up a key out of bounds play with 6-7 minutes left IIRC to get a easy chance and two free throws.

I thought Fran should have called timeout with 45 seconds to go when we had that shot clock violation.

The shot clock violation actually wasn't even that bad considering the time left. I was mad when it happened but then I looked at the clock and there was only 45 seconds left.

Running an entire 35 seconds off there greatly increased our chance of winning. Obviously a made basket would have been better. But a missed shot with 15 seconds left on the clock would have been way worse.

Fran went to the bench so Uthoff/White would be able to give effort on defense down the stretch of the second half. Iowa was able to just not get obliterated when Uhl/Clemmons/Oglesby were all in at once, which was all they needed. I thought the divvying up on PG minutes between Gesell and Clemmons was spot on, as was Jok/Oglesby. Allows Gesell and Clemmons to give really good effort on defense and not worry about getting tired. Uthoff and White were both in for 35+ minutes, which was good. Beyond that it's going to be who has the hot hand and is out of foul trouble.

Fran seems to leave timeouts on the boards down the stretch. I sometimes wish he would call TO when we have the ball in big spots with not much time left. He seems to just let them play. I can't figure out if its a decision to not call time out, or a lack of strong decision making.

We had 3 TOs left when we got the shot clock violation. That should be an auto TO with 10 seconds left. Fran has failed to do this numerous times over the years and it drives me nuts.

All in all I think it was a solid game and win. It's clear when we turned the ball over 4 outta 5 possessions that we got super tight and were expecting something bad to happen. We looked liked the ball was a hot potato and no one wanted it which is a bit alarming to me. Shouldn't the best players want the ball? Utoff, White among others were panicked when the ball came to them which was shocking. Act like you've been there and calm down boys. Good win but lets clean up that last 4 minutes.

The shot clock violation actually wasn't even that bad considering the time left. I was mad when it happened but then I looked at the clock and there was only 45 seconds left.

Running an entire 35 seconds off there greatly increased our chance of winning. Obviously a made basket would have been better. But a missed shot with 15 seconds left on the clock would have been way worse.

Also, the violation allowed Iowa to set up a defense, which may not occur on a rebounded shot attempt.

It worked out well for the Hawks on this occassion, but I don't think we will be seeing Fran draw up any intentional shot clock violations going forward simply because of the fortuitous outcome in this event.

Fran seems to leave timeouts on the boards down the stretch. I sometimes wish he would call TO when we have the ball in big spots with not much time left. He seems to just let them play. I can't figure out if its a decision to not call time out, or a lack of strong decision making.

I think he puts a lot of trust in his players to respond to adversity. Doesn't hover-mom them.

Fran had Iowa ready to play against Syracuse's zone on a one day turn around earlier this season, we just couldn't hit a ******* shot and thus the offense looked bad. You can draw up the best play but if you don't have guys who can make shots, you're going to struggle.

I was gonna say this in another thread!!

I hope teams play zone all the time against us. We have gotten great looks both these games.

So many have been down on Fran, but this thread couldn't be more true. Glad he is getting some credit.

No problems with the early subbing, have to keep guys fresh for D. I did think he should have taken a timeout towards the end of the shot clock (violation possession) to run a set play to get a shot off.

I thought Uhl actually did pretty well for hist first B10 game too. We're going to need him to spell Uthoff and White for a few mins each game and he played within himself. Knowing where to be on defense, boxing out, crashing the offensive boards and not turning the ball over is going to be his game at this point. If he does all that for 10 mins a game or so, he will help the team.

Thad decided to play the odds, that Iowa would revert to it's usual shooting %. It didn't. Bucks lose.

The announcers said Ohio State had not played 1 minute of man this season. They haven't even done it in practice. My guess is some of this is due to the fact they play so many freshmen...typically not strong defensive players.

Ohio State has some athletes and looked pretty good when they had to play some man late. I think it's a mistake if they continue to play strictly zone moving forward. But I could care less if they win so...