Fran needs to close strongly

We need to become incredibly more athletic than what we currently have on the team.
Wes's AAU coach posts on Kakert's site, but its difficult to tell the current position of his recruiting. Is he becoming more hyped b/c more of us have personally seen him OR is it b/c there are fewer PG's uncomitted and he is over valued?

I just can't get on the Washpun bandwagon. We need players that can score, as outside of Basabe and Cartwright, we have a team of stationary jump shooters with limited ballhandling skills. If we were in a better sitiuation and could give him 1-2 years to develop his game, I would be much more interested. No way can we score outscore teams with athletic shooters with the roster we have.

It is time to take a look at the big picture here. Iowa is a below average team in record, but above average in effort. In one year Iowa went from a below average team in record and in effort. Iowa doesn't win at Indiana with the effort that was there last season, Iowa doesn't beat Purdue the last regular season game of the season. It is going to take time for Iowa to make a huge leap in the Big Ten, but one underrated recruit can make that change.

When I look at Iowa's roster there are a few things that stick out:
1a. Depth-with all the transfers there just isn't any in the grand scheme of things. McCabe and May/Marble being your best bench players is trouble. Then you look at Archie, who can't stay healthy and Brommer, while improved, is not going to scare people and may start next year.
1b. Player Development-again with all the transfers and an inept HC the last three years, there has been zero chance to develop players. You can flip these in your order, but they go hand in hand.

2. People talk about Iowa getting athleticism, they have enough, but it isn't developed May/Marble/Basabe are athletic as the next guy, but their skills have to be developed. The good thing Marble/Basabe will only be sophomores and I don't think it is too late for May to develop into a very good bench player, I like Eric, but he will never be a top flight starter, but that is not the worst thing in the world either.
Iowa needs guys that can put the ball through the hoop, guess what, Oglesby and White can shoot, how much more effective will Gatens/Basabe/Cartwright be if White and Oglesby can knock down some shots?

3. 3-pt defense must improve. When Iowa played teams with limited shooters, they could compete well. Again, people point out Gatens/May not being able to cover 3-pt shooters in the zone, but neither did Basabe or Cartwright. Teams got more shots out of the corner on Basabe's side and top of the key over Cartwright with okay ball movement while these two stood and watched. It takes a team to play quality defense and Iowa as a team didn't play good defense.

Iowa rebounded a lot better this year than I ever thought they would, but against some of the bigger teams, they got hammered. On the defensive end, everybody has to crash the boards to make up for the lack of size.
Iowa's scoring droughts were less and less as the season went along, that was largely due to Cartwright emerging as a pure penatrator.

Does Iowa need to close strong in recruiting, no, they need players that add some things the current roster is missing, shooting is what Iowa needs first and foremost, Oglesby/White should help solve this. If Iowa can get a big guy that can come off the bench and contribute or surprise and become a starter, that is closing strong. PG is not a huge need if Payne comes back healthy, but if Iowa brings can bring in Washpun, if the staff feels he can help, I would like to see him redshirted and work on his shot, he seems to have all the other attributes you would want. Also, I have no issues getting two guys from CR Wash, look Washpun is offered by Clemson an NCAA tourney team, that is good enough for me and we all know who Oglesby was being hounded by, including Iowa.
Iowa HS basketball doesn't have huge numbers of good basketball players, but they are better than given credit. Yes, a lot of Iowa kids aren't going to be program changers, like a Harrison Barnes, but having kids you can rely on and know they are genuinely there to make a program better and will work their butt off to do everything they can for a program is not the worst thing in the world either.

Fran and company know exactly what they are doing, no matter what two kids they bring in this Spring, we as fans should trust they have a vision that some may not fully understand. Iowa's future is bright weather it will be fully realized by fans after the Spring period will be determined. Don't underestimate what it means to have four starters back with all the experience they got and how enjoyable they were to watch this season, it was a sign of bigger things to come.

Latest posts