Fran is the worst bench coach since...

Just a sliver of composure from Iowa's bench or players in the last minute gets that win. Shouldve never come down to the last 15 seconds.

This. A competent coach has drawn and drilled into his players in-bounds plays for late in the game when the opponents are desperate to get the ball. And has set plays to set up the opportunity for a good look at the basket with under 10 to play.

Instead, Franc's players looked like deer caught in the headlights and wound up roadkill on the Hilton floor. #tragic

Frans the worse coach since 2020 in future when he is starting to have dementia. Come on , this thread is worse joke since 2009.

This. A competent coach has drawn and drilled into his players in-bounds plays for late in the game when the opponents are desperate to get the ball. And has set plays to set up the opportunity for a good look at the basket with under 10 to play.

Instead, Franc's players looked like deer caught in the headlights and wound up roadkill on the Hilton floor. #tragic

Jok said the last shot was supposed to go to him. Kinda a weird thing to say if they were just flying by the seat of their pants. If they already have plays drawn up that he can communicate from the bench, which is obviously the case based on Jok's comments, isn't that more advantageous that calling the timeout to communicate the play?

And someone is really dumb enough to say they need inbound plays for situations like that? Of course they have them and of course they used them. Just because you have a play drawn up doesn't mean its foolproof.

Tops Raveling? Uh, I'm not sure about that one. Close, but not sure. But - I loved George, his demeanor, and his great recruiting. Had so many positives compared to McCaffery. However, it seemed like when Iowa was playing for the last shot, time would run down and the best shot we could get was some 30ft, off balance shot...

I also don't remember Raveling treating anybody with disrespect, including the press and the fans. Fran can be a real jerk. I've gotten off-subject a little bit, but I will close my post with saying that I am basically through watching Iowa basketball after that full-blown debauchery of a loss last night. Yes, I know the correct term is "debacle", but somehow "debauchery" fits better. A least I know that "Gorgeous Georges (Niang)" and the Clowns will not go that far this year if they can barely beat a team like Iowa - on their home court no less.

Your opinion of Raveling...I disagree.

Your opinion of Fran...I disagree.

Your opinion of this year's Hawks...I disagree.

But you're done watching so...We will agree to disagree at the point when you jumped off the bandwagon.

Since 'ol Tip is done watching, maybe he'll quit posting also!

If the game is close at the end, the team with the better athletes usually has the best chance to win. I think Fran is a great coach, but usually at the level Iowa plays most of the teams have more of an advantage at a lot of the different positions. Iowa has gotten more athletic every year that Fran has been at Iowa. That Iowa has been in a lot of those games is a tribute to the coaching staff. I can see complaining if the basketball staff didn't work hard at recruiting, but I doubt there are many college basketball staffs that work harder than the Iowa staff.

So McCaffery told Clemmons to throw a bounce pass at Woodbury's knees? He told Uthoff to hold the ball until they got a five second call? He said after the game that everyone on the team knew they had a TO left. He can't call it once the ball is handed to Uthoff. This game hurts, but I sure as hell don't put it on McCaffery.

Tops Raveling? Uh, I'm not sure about that one. Close, but not sure. But - I loved George, his demeanor, and his great recruiting. Had so many positives compared to McCaffery. However, it seemed like when Iowa was playing for the last shot, time would run down and the best shot we could get was some 30ft, off balance shot...

I also don't remember Raveling treating anybody with disrespect, including the press and the fans. Fran can be a real jerk. I've gotten off-subject a little bit, but I will close my post with saying that I am basically through watching Iowa basketball after that full-blown debauchery of a loss last night. Yes, I know the correct term is "debacle", but somehow "debauchery" fits better. A least I know that "Gorgeous Georges (Niang)" and the Clowns will not go that far this year if they can barely beat a team like Iowa - on their home court no less.

Raveling was the worst because he had the most talent of any of the recent coaches. I can still picture him, standing over there in his sweat suit, watching the un-Raveling of his team as it blew another lead.

So McCaffery told Clemmons to throw a bounce pass at Woodbury's knees? He told Uthoff to hold the ball until they got a five second call? He said after the game that everyone on the team knew they had a TO left. He can't call it once the ball is handed to Uthoff. This game hurts, but I sure as hell don't put it on McCaffery.

Did anyone else notice that 5 second call was closer to a 4 second call? The ref moving his arm for each second had just finished the 4th second when Uthoff bobbled the ball and tapped it into Woody. The amount of time that passed between his last arm move and him blowing the whistle was less than half the time between his other arm moves.

And you can't answer Lickliter because he has been erased from our memories. Correct?

Oops.

But seriously, Fran gets out coached in big games. Repeatedly.

How can you finish a game with yet another timeout in your pocket?? Does he get $$ for saved timeouts?? Ridiculous. Even Bobby Hansen made a passing comment right after the game. And that is the most criticism Fran will receive probably.

http://hawkeyenation.com/2015/mccaffery-talks-isu-loss-moving-forward

SK, Fran answers that question and more in this link. Fran admits making a mistake, but we all need to remember that Fran can no longer call timeouts from the bench in that situation. Fran admits fatigue with JU was a 2nd half factor, which leads back to having a reliable bench which he also discusses. This team still has not figured out how to make up for the loss of Jones. Losing DJ is a much bigger loss than folks are talking about. Jones provided reliable scoring and rebounding off the bench. With Jones we had 2 of those guys off the bench (Uhl) and we don't have any single player that has stepped up to replace that. Baer has a chance to, but isn't there yet.

LittleGiants-Still7.jpg

Latest posts