Fran in games decided by 5 points or less

This doesn't mean that Fran's a bad coach; he's certainly elevated the program from where it was. But, this stat can't be ignored, either. It's not as if this is a one or two year blip compared to a string of other more successful years. Maybe letting the players play out the game without calling timeouts works for some teams, but it does not appear to be working for the Hawkeyes. Maybe it's time to try a different strategy. The record in these close losses supports it's time.

To get the program to an even higher level, they need to start turning this around right away - coach and players.

This doesn't mean that Fran's a bad coach; he's certainly elevated the program from where it was. But, this stat can't be ignored, either. It's not as if this is a one or two year blip compared to a string of other more successful years. Maybe letting the players play out the game without calling timeouts works for some teams, but it does not appear to be working for the Hawkeyes. Maybe it's time to try a different strategy. The record in these close losses supports it's time.

To get the program to an even higher level, they need to start turning this around right away - coach and players.

Agreed. Fran did a great job of pulling this program out of the muck and I give him full props. As I mentioned earlier, Iowa seems able to hang with most anyone, so they're very competitive.

As you said, the record in close games has been a recurring theme, so there's definitely a problem there somewhere. If *I* knew how to fix it, I'd be coaching somewhere, so I don't pretend to have the answers, but this needs to be fixed.

I know you can't win ALL the close ones, but you'd think you could at least break even as opposed to 2-5, 2-7, etc. year in and year out. Doing better in these games would only improve our overall record, likely add another quality win or two to the NCAA resume, which nets you a better seed, better chance at making a Sweet 16 or further, which can only help the program's rep. In other words, I can't bring myself to brush off these close losses and pooh pooh it with "Aw shucks" because winning these types of games makes a big difference at the end of the year.

I doubt it, Iowa lost that game by > 5. But it was an OT game, so I'd definitely classify that one as another "close loss". I seem to recall Iowa having the ball at the end of regulation, chance to win it, and Marble missed the shot. It's the same MO. Then TN dominated the OT.

Not just missing shots, but Iowa seems to often end up with a horrendous look at the basket or a turnover (see end of regulation vs FSU this year), which of course is not likely to win you the game.

Not even close, Marble hit a shot to tie it up with about 15 seconds and then we held TN on the other end.

I like the fact that Fran doesn't call TO for end of game situations. As an offense you can practice your end of the game plays, so everyone should know what is going on. At the same time it keeps the defense from being able to set up, not only that but they can call another TO after they see how you set up.

I think the advantage goes to the offense and calling a TO benefits the defense so much more than the O. I think more interesting would be to look back and see the quality of shot Iowa got off at the end. For instance the 2 losses in Ames we had ECCELLENT looks at the basket, and just missed the shot.

I like the fact that Fran doesn't call TO for end of game situations. As an offense you can practice your end of the game plays, so everyone should know what is going on. At the same time it keeps the defense from being able to set up, not only that but they can call another TO after they see how you set up.

I think the advantage goes to the offense and calling a TO benefits the defense so much more than the O. I think more interesting would be to look back and see the quality of shot Iowa got off at the end. For instance the 2 losses in Ames we had ECCELLENT looks at the basket, and just missed the shot.

I temember Marble had a couple turnovers going for late game winners. I just don't think you can fault Fran for going to a player like Marble at the end. He also got a great look for the win against MSU a couple years ago but missed. That's the one where Besabe got the rebound tip and got hammered from behind with no foul call.

I agree with the idea, but, for whatever reason, Iowa is not converting these looks at a very productive rate. From the stat, however, it's not just last second shots, but the 5 point or less losses speak to the final minute(s) of the game. I'm doing this from a less than perfect memory, but it seems Fran avoids calling timeouts, in general, in the final minutes, not just last possessions, letting the game often play itself out. Interestingly enough, I think Fran does a very good job of designing plays coming out of timeouts.

just a theory but I wonder if Fran's demeanor is part of the reason why the players seem to pucker up so much at the end of games? I mean he's not exactly a calm guy. Maybe when a team makes a big run, one of the calmer assistants should call time out and get everyone relaxed and refocused? It would be better if Fran could do it, but I'm not sure he's capable??

I wonder if we would have been within 5 points in any of these games without Fran. I prefer a 13-30 record in games decided by 5 points or less to losing 43 games by 10. And this analysis doesn't include the games we won by more than 5 and would have lost with another coach...or won by less than 5.

I temember Marble had a couple turnovers going for late game winners. I just don't think you can fault Fran for going to a player like Marble at the end. He also got a great look for the win against MSU a couple years ago but missed. That's the one where Besabe got the rebound tip and got hammered from behind with no foul call.

It seems like we usually get a good look at the basket, but the players aren't hitting the shots. Uthoff had a clean look at the basket, it was a good shot. Unfortunately we don't have a Marble who could get to the basket and maybe you can draw a foul as well. For whatever reason Gesell isn't good at creating contact and drawing fouls on his drives to the bucket.

For whatever reason Gesell isn't good at creating contact and drawing fouls on his drives to the bucket.

This is why I really want to see Clemmons with the ball in these situations a couple of times. He's stronger and finishes better around the rim IMO. There may not be any improvement but why not give it a try?

I wonder if we would have been within 5 points in any of these games without Fran. I prefer a 13-30 record in games decided by 5 points or less to losing 43 games by 10. And this analysis doesn't include the games we won by more than 5 and would have lost with another coach...or won by less than 5.

You're a glass half-empty kind of a guy I'm guessing ... I'm sorry if that sounds the least bit snarky but what you said above is obvious. If we are going to start listing things that we prefer ... I prefer that Iowa went 30-13 in those games instead of 13-30.

It seems like we usually get a good look at the basket, but the players aren't hitting the shots. Uthoff had a clean look at the basket, it was a good shot. Unfortunately we don't have a Marble who could get to the basket and maybe you can draw a foul as well. For whatever reason Gesell isn't good at creating contact and drawing fouls on his drives to the bucket.

Refs don't call fouls at the end of games anyway.

You're a glass half-empty kind of a guy I'm guessing ... I'm sorry if that sounds the least bit snarky but what you said above is obvious. If we are going to start listing things that we prefer ... I prefer that Iowa went 30-13 in those games instead of 13-30.

Anyone that knows me knows I'm an eternal optimist. That's why I made a positive post...that you are somehow turning into a negative one. I have to assume your glass is empty. Worse yet I suppose you spilled what was in it.

I don't disagree with you. I would agree that this trend is mostly on the players because in many cases they have been put in a position to win and they simply collapsed.

However, I do think Fran deserves some of the blame. He almost always ends the game with unused timeouts. In fact, I would venture to guess that in the majority of the games that were sited above the Hawks probably finished with timeouts left up on the board. There can be a debate about whether or not calling a timeout is the right move, but when you've failed so many times by not using your timeouts you'd think at some point you would try to change things up. That's probably my biggest gripe with Fran. It's like he just panics with his players and says "**** it whatever happens happens". Sometimes he needs to be the voice of reason. Call a timeout. Explain the situation. Get a couple different plays called and run through them based upon that situation. Don't just let all hell break lose and live with it. They've failed far too many times with that strategy.

Fran has also never had a game changer/difference maker player Iowa could go to at the end of games to make that winning shot, no blue chip stud. PG play has been average at best as well.

Fran has also never had a game changer/difference maker player Iowa could go to at the end of games to make that winning shot, no blue chip stud. PG play has been average at best as well.

Are you saying Marble wasn't that kind of player because he wasn't highly recruited coming out of high school?

Latest posts