Fran did it

hawkinn3

He got us to the tournament outright (no play in first round) which means he improved again even after losing his best player. I had some doubts, mostly after being heartbroken by the previous 2 guys, but I am all in on Fran. Great coach and sneaky good recruiter that will hopefully be here a long time. Go Hawks, cant wait to watch them in the Big Dance.

I agree with your sentiments. It wasn't looking too good even 2-3 weeks ago with fears of another meltdown, but as some were saying - let the season play out. Great job down the stretch!

Here's hoping the Hawks can make a nice tournament run!

Complete opposite finish from last season... if they can complete the job against Northwestern. Iowa is finally playing it's best basketball in March! Saturday's game day environment will be incredible.

One lil tidbit from Fran's presser not sure everyone saw is that Gabe's family will be in town from overseas to see him play here for the first time, with obvious heavy hearts.

That, Senior Day, sold out, honoring Marble, and revenge on their minds. Carver's roof might just blow off. Can't wait!

Eating crow as I thought they would collapse. Very happy thou as I really want to see Connor and pat play for the Hawks

Count me as one who had doubts begin to creep in after the Minnesota and Northwestern losses.

I couldn't be more proud of Fran...and especially the players. They have stepped up and played with heart and grit. I hope Carver is full Saturday and the crowd gives the players the cheers they deserve.

Hats off to Fran, his coaches and players. Fran did it his way and refused to back down or knuckle under to anyone. There have been disappointments along the way but I have thoroughly enjoyed his 5 years at the helm and the players he has recruited and coached. I cannot believe how many things his teams have accomplished many of which have not happened in 10-15 years or more. Just want to say thank you!

It certainly starts w/Fran....his calm demeanor was key.....I think the players understand what he's been trying to accomplish since he's been here...he just needs a couple of studs to really get to that next level, and hopefully some high school kids are paying close attention....Iowa's team is another year older, more mature, and have handled themselves very efficiently, and have really taken an interest in how each other is playing and contributing to the cause, and recently, proof is in the pudding (and now I'm hungry for pudding)......

you would certainly think, particularly if Iowa can do well in the BT Tournament and in the NCAA (at least one win at each level), that would really help us on the recruiting trail. Now that Fran can boast keeping players for four years (they are happy!), the string of 20 win seasons, climbing slowly but surely up the ladder in the BT standings, great new facilities, an NBA player, a first team all BT (if White is recognized as he should be), and a CHA crowd that has grown to a nice level. Hey, son! Want to become part of a team that is a new threat to win the BT? Come be a Hawk!

you would certainly think, particularly if Iowa can do well in the BT Tournament and in the NCAA (at least one win at each level), that would really help us on the recruiting trail. Now that Fran can boast keeping players for four years (they are happy!), the string of 20 win seasons, climbing slowly but surely up the ladder in the BT standings, great new facilities, an NBA player, a first team all BT (if White is recognized as he should be), and a CHA crowd that has grown to a nice level. Hey, son! Want to become part of a team that is a new threat to win the BT? Come be a Hawk!

It could help some of the assistant coaches get a head coaching job too.

I have been on Fran's bandwagon from day one. If you look at his record and the things he has done in previous jobs he has done nothing but succeed. I like his that he gets after his guys when they don't perform, I like that he gets T'ed up. That's the attitude I want in a football coach.
Does Fran know football?

I remember it was only 2 months ago when people here were claiming Fran couldn't win at this level and it was time to move on. haven't heard from them in awhile

It's true.

I ran into Eli Porter on the set of a new public access show.

He told me straight up, "Fran's the best, man. He deeeed it."

(Ok, sorry. I'll show myself out and post less)

Last edited:
It was less than 2 months ago...2 weeks and 3 days to be exact.

Have to give you credit. Of all the posters here, you were the most level-headed during that rough stretch. I never jumped off the bandwagon myself but I specifically remember posting that I didn't blame anyone who did after the Northwestern loss. Something about losing to Northwestern just gets me ****** off. Would love to see some merciless revenge this weekend but I'm not too greedy. Just want another win.

Congrats to Fran and the team, in particular Aaron White. Hopefully, we all learned something over the past month. I have been critical and at the same time I appreciate and respect what they have done. Aaron has become a leader, Fran seems confident, Woody seems settled and the team shows perseverance. Best of luck and I hope you make me eat crow, a full helping.

I've been a Fran fan from the very beginning. I remember back in his first year, after suffering through the "Clueless Ones's" era. I was watching one of his early games and turned to Mrs. Lucky and proclaimed, "This guy knows what he's doing." It has been a long, steady climb and he's not done yet. Hope he stays here until he retires.

I was at Fran's first game as a Hawk coach with my family . We were behind the bench . That was the first time I went to Iowa game since Alford.
I knew we have the best coach since Tom Davis . Even through we lost that game , I came away very impressed with him and the assistants.
My dad have become good friends with coaches . I can tell they all are so happy to be at Iowa!