Fran and Co. need a rebounder / enforcer

hawkIhoops

I have no doubt our perimeter defense will improve with the addition of Gessell, Clemmons and Ingram, but we need somebody down low with Cole's work ethic and Doug Thomas hops. I hope the staff can find a juco or transfer who is one of those born rebounder types. The dude does not need to be a prolific scorer, just a beast on the boards who can outlet and run the floor.

I am not sure which is more discoraging, getting dominated on the glass, or our French military defensive strategy.

Mel could fill that role but I think he is more of a glory guy than a guts guy. That role needs to be filled for sure. Stop thinking Mel and just play the game!!!

I have no doubt our perimeter defense will improve with the addition of Gessell, Clemmons and Ingram, but we need somebody down low with Cole's work ethic and Doug Thomas hops. I hope the staff can find a juco or transfer who is one of those born rebounder types. The dude does not need to be a prolific scorer, just a beast on the boards who can outlet and run the floor.

I am not sure which is more discoraging, getting dominated on the glass, or our French military defensive strategy.

McCabe has the desire, but just is not athletic enough to be consistent.

The recruits are going to help, Iowa will not have such a height disadvantage next season. McCabe/Basabe can body up and block out any guy remotely their size, but struggle with guys 6-9 or taller.
That is why Iowa gets destroyed on the boards against teams that have a Center who has a concept of offense.
The most glaring weakeness of overall height is taken care of next season, it won't be the end all, cure all, but teams with size shouldn't just expect to have their way with Iowa on the boards next year.
Thomas Gipson would have been a player that would be a rebounder; not so much enforcer, but he is rebounding very well this season; too bad Iowa didn't have more time to recruit him.

FWIW I really do think that the combination of McCabe/Meyer will be a frontline with toughness and all kinds of hustle. McCabe doesn't shy away from contact and it seems Meyer is a kid who doesn't either. One comparison of Meyer is that he plays like Hansbrough at UNC, not saying he is an elite player like Hansbrough, but plays with the same fire.

The team also needs to learn to attain a better balance between fast breaking and securing defensive rebounds. All fast pace teams tend to have issues with defensive rebounding and we are no different.

Amen to this. Skill guys are nice but having a Reggie Evans can be a huge piece. Maybe Gabe can develop into something close to that he seems athletic enough. Cole and Cyrus Tate were pretty good at that type of role too. They both had just enough of a back to the basket game that had to be respected too.

Good points made by all. I am not sure what to expect from Basabe moving forward. Maybe with more talent around him he can transition into a rebounder / garbage bucket guy, but he is so inconsistent with energy and effort, I have my doubts.

Certainly could use a Cy Tate, Reggie Evans, Doug Thomas, Kent Hill.

Intelligent Team defense would help enormously. Zeller was wide open to receive a pass for the majority of his dunks yesterday. Whoever was responsible for guarding him would shift to the other side of the basket to help out, and Cody was open for the pass and dunk.

Should have a player dedicated to gurading someone as dangerous as Zeller, not leaving him open to receive a pass. Same thing goes for someone who is red hot like the Nebraska player who lit it up from outside. Deny him the ball from end line to end line.

We really didn't have anyone who could guard Cody very well. Archie probably should have played more minutes, despite the lack of scoring ability, but it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

To put things in perspective, No. 20 Michigan lost by 15 to Ohio State yesterday. We are not the only team getting blown out in the B1G this year.

As Sportstalent says we should not have the problem in the middle next year. Size and athleticism are on the way. Mel should benefit from the incoming recruits. He will have help in the middle. I remember Reggie Evans having difficulty his second year. Teams would surround him with their arms out denying him the ability to shoot the ball and making it difficult to pass the ball. The Big Ten just might have figured out how to neutralize Basabe. Quite a few intelligent coaches in the Big Ten.

I do believe we will win six games in the Big Ten this season. I have no idea which ones they will be however.

We must not forget this is a rebuilding season. The second in a row after Lick. Next year will also be, to a degree, a rebuilding year with the advantage of having a solid nucleus for the incoming players. Marble, McCabe, Basabe, White, Oglesby and Olaseni are a very nice group of players who will only get better along with the Hawks.

I did like Olaseni's play yesterday. He seems to be getting more comfortable. It is not easy to play at Indiana, being intimidating to experienced players. He did well and should get more minutes the rest of the season. You can see the potential.

:)

It's tough to look like you are playing "cohesively..."

Intelligent Team defense would help enormously. Zeller was wide open to receive a pass for the majority of his dunks yesterday. Whoever was responsible for guarding him would shift to the other side of the basket to help out, and Cody was open for the pass and dunk.

Should have a player dedicated to gurading someone as dangerous as Zeller, not leaving him open to receive a pass. Same thing goes for someone who is red hot like the Nebraska player who lit it up from outside. Deny him the ball from end line to end line.

We really didn't have anyone who could guard Cody very well. Archie probably should have played more minutes, despite the lack of scoring ability, but it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

To put things in perspective, No. 20 Michigan lost by 15 to Ohio State yesterday. We are not the only team getting blown out in the B1G this year.

As Sportstalent says we should not have the problem in the middle next year. Size and athleticism are on the way. Mel should benefit from the incoming recruits. He will have help in the middle. I remember Reggie Evans having difficulty his second year. Teams would surround him with their arms out denying him the ability to shoot the ball and making it difficult to pass the ball. The Big Ten just might have figured out how to neutralize Basabe. Quite a few intelligent coaches in the Big Ten.

I do believe we will win six games in the Big Ten this season. I have no idea which ones they will be however.

We must not forget this is a rebuilding season. The second in a row after Lick. Next year will also be, to a degree, a rebuilding year with the advantage of having a solid nucleus for the incoming players. Marble, McCabe, Basabe, White, Oglesby and Olaseni are a very nice group of players who will only get better along with the Hawks.

I did like Olaseni's play yesterday. He seems to be getting more comfortable. It is not easy to play at Indiana, being intimidating to experienced players. He did well and should get more minutes the rest of the season. You can see the potential.

when every guy is getting beat off the dribble, basically every time down the floor. Yes, Iowa needs to help more intelligently, do a better job of realizing who to help off of, when to stay at home, etc. But, bottom line, you cannot defend teams when no one can keep their man in front of them. If you are in constant scramble/help mode, you are going to be caught out of position. Combine that with Iowa's inability to play the pick and roll and stop the ball in transition and you had the Hoosiers running a lay-up line the whole game.

It's why we have looked better against Wisconsin and Michigan. Wisky has only Taylor who gave us fits going to the basket, and Michigan had Burke and Hardaway, but Burke was in foul trouble. The games we've won in conference we have managed to at least limit somewhat the point blank shots, while having the opponent shoot poorly from 3-point range.

Re: It's tough to look like you are playing "cohesively..."

when every guy is getting beat off the dribble, basically every time down the floor. Yes, Iowa needs to help more intelligently, do a better job of realizing who to help off of, when to stay at home, etc. But, bottom line, you cannot defend teams when no one can keep their man in front of them. If you are in constant scramble/help mode, you are going to be caught out of position. Combine that with Iowa's inability to play the pick and roll and stop the ball in transition and you had the Hoosiers running a lay-up line the whole game.

It's why we have looked better against Wisconsin and Michigan. Wisky has only Taylor who gave us fits going to the basket, and Michigan had Burke and Hardaway, but Burke was in foul trouble. The games we've won in conference we have managed to at least limit somewhat the point blank shots, while having the opponent shoot poorly from 3-point range.
Good points, Dodger.....

i didnt mean put mel down but i always think being from new york and playing in street basketball would make him tough against another team. i play street basketball in washington dc and play against good players. you know ?:)

Our poor rebounding was a result of utter inability to defend ball screens. Indiana was setting high ball screens all game with their non-Zeller bigs. Our bigs were hedging hard trying to trap the dribbler, but our traps were terrible. Indiana's guard either got around our bigs or split the double team. Now one our our bigs is 25 feet from the rim (along with a guard), and Indiana has a penetrator near the free throw line playing 4 on 3 basketball, where our 3 defenders are in pure scramble mode. It happened all game. We are never going to play good defense our rebound in this situation.

Yes, we need better big guys. But last night's rebounding and defense was caused by a completely miserable execution of an aggressive defense scheme. We either need to practice the scheme more, so we can effectively trap ball-screens, or we need to implement a new ball-screen scheme.

its not like Indiana ripped Iowa a new one on Defense,
63% shooting, 53% 8-15 3 pt shooting
Indiana 55% shooting 4-16 25% 3 pt shooting
Indiana made 3 more fg's than Iowa
Indiana made more ft's 25 than Iowa shot ending up being a 25-13 edge
i will take a team that shoots 63% from the field including 8 of 15 from 3 anynight on being a winning team

Latest posts