Forums Upgrade Coming, Changes

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Late Thursday night, at approximately Midnight, we will be upgrading the forums to vBulletin 5.0. There are some cool tools in here and finally some moderator controls that I believe will allow me to add mods at the level I am comfortable with. Older versions of vBulletin just allowed too much access to areas of the back end I was not comfortable with.

This will also be the first of many changes this summer, culminating with an extensive redesign to be launched before the start of football season. I think you’ll be pleased with the changes we have in place and we are making considerable investments into the website.

Also, if you are interested in writing a weekly column with a specific subject or angle in mind, I’d certainly be open to reviewing what you are thinking and possibly giving it a go. I want to make the site more open to you, the users, than I have in the past. I know I have made attempts at this in the past, but the problem was me and letting go a bit. I am resolved to follow through on that this time around and you’ll continue to see other changes.

As for the game changing recruiting project, even that is being analyzed for revival ;)

At any rate, thanks for your continued visits to the site.

"Older versions of vBulletin just allowed too much access to areas of the back end I was not comfortable with."

Seriously, there is no one on this forum that you could trust with mod access in the current system?

JD - before adding mods, plz go back and check through the reputation points they gave. I am concerned because back when you had rep on here, my rep was constantly trolled by people saying very bad things and I shudder at the the thought of those individuals being given too much power.

JD - before adding mods, plz go back and check through the reputation points they gave. I am concerned because back when you had rep on here, my rep was constantly trolled by people saying very bad things and I shudder at the the thought of those individuals being given too much power.

Rep was hilarious...as in how some folks got sideways with that.

"Older versions of vBulletin just allowed too much access to areas of the back end I was not comfortable with."

Seriously, there is no one on this forum that you could trust with mod access in the current system?

The two most recent attempts, neither could follow simple site rules...you can't do that, nah, I don't want you behind the curtain.

The two most recent attempts, neither could follow simple site rules...you can't do that, nah, I don't want you behind the curtain.

Hey, I get that you need to protect your product. I would probably be pretty protective myself. However, it just astounds me that there aren't at least a few folks that you know you could trust for this task.

Hey, I get that you need to protect your product. I would probably be pretty protective myself. However, it just astounds me that there aren't at least a few folks that you know you could trust for this task.

The problem is guys on message boards, myself included, are messed up dudes. You give them an ounce, just an ounce, of power and it goes to their head. The coolest message board poster, when entrusted with moderation power, suddenly becomes like the acne-riddled 19 year old mall cop who is looking to break onto the police force. It's sad, but it's the truth. These guys worry me because I might have said something to one of them like 3 years ago in passing and they act cool with me today, but the moment they get power, bam, I'm banned.

The other problem is the twitter. Basically, the twitter is like this big rudderless message board designed for people who can only process information in very small pieces. The place is a hellhole free for all and now everyone thinks everything on the internet should be like the twitter. So you get a bunch of clown fans who make up fake usernames that include "Hawk" in them and purport to be Hawkeye fans but really they are just here to stir the pot. They show up at the end of close games and immediately following losses.

The problem is guys on message boards, myself included, are messed up dudes. You give them an ounce, just an ounce, of power and it goes to their head. The coolest message board poster, when entrusted with moderation power, suddenly becomes like the acne-riddled 19 year old mall cop who is looking to break onto the police force. It's sad, but it's the truth. These guys worry me because I might have said something to one of them like 3 years ago in passing and they act cool with me today, but the moment they get power, bam, I'm banned.

The other problem is the twitter. Basically, the twitter is like this big rudderless message board designed for people who can only process information in very small pieces. The place is a hellhole free for all and now everyone thinks everything on the internet should be like the twitter. So you get a bunch of clown fans who make up fake usernames that include "Hawk" in them and purport to be Hawkeye fans but really they are just here to stir the pot. They show up at the end of close games and immediately following losses.

Truer words may never have been typed.

Jon -

It is with deepest gratitude and undying adoration that I accept the position of Moderator for the great HawkeyeNation.com. I will always strive to fulfil my duties to the high standards that this message board aspires to reach. This is a huge honor and I will not take my role lightly.

To show you how devoted I am, here's a picture of a baby otter.

help-name-this-cute-baby-otter-big.jpg

Mr. Lounge

If the "like" button does not come back with the upgrade, I will be sending Johnny the Hook from south Chicago to have a "visit" with Mr. Miller.

You're still on 4.2.2? You must not be a premium member.

Yeah, I don't know where this guy is getting 4.2.2. I logged in this morning and as soon as I did:

[video=youtube;CUkD4CY7YAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkD4CY7YAQ&feature=kp[/video]

Ha! We found a few bugs that 5.0 is still working out so we made some upgrades to the version 4. We'll be making a major design overhaul before the start of football season, too.

Latest posts