Former Iowa and NFL coach Joe Philbin joining Buckeyes

Damn it. No man did more to build the Iowa legacy when Kurt took over and dismantle the solid run we had going than Philbin. Philbin put together that ridiculous O-line we had back in ought two. Unreal.

I really appreciated that and liked Philbin a lot. Then, he got hired to be the head coach of the Miami Dolphins after a stint with Green Bay. In connection with that stint he poached Kenneth O'Keefe from the Iowa staff and it has been nothing but downhill since then. When O'Keefe left we had a fairly proficient offense. Just this past season we had an offense that ranked second from the bottom in all of college football. This man played the long game to destroy Iowa football.

More revisionist history from the guy whose handle is named after the guy he is pumping up. There are a lot of ways to measure an offense. Yards, points, efficiency, etc. All of them tell a slightly different picture. Regarding KOK, he had some very good offenses, such as 2001-03. But, he fielded some pretty bad offenses as well (2004, 2007 (uggg), 2011) and that is giving him a pass for his first two seasons, which were unwatchable at times.

Greg Davis is generally pretty bad statistically now matter how you measure it. Bad hire. Bad OC.

BF has actually had a couple decent scoring teams, but yards have never been good and we know what a train wreck the last two seasons have been.

All three of these OCs have not been particularly awesome at Iowa. Is KOK the best of the bunch? Probably, but that aint saying much.

Philben was a stud OL coach. We have had great individual offensive lineman at Iowa since he left, but nothing close to what that 2002 OL was. He parlayed that season into the start of a nice NFL career. Since then, we always seem to have 1-2 gaping holes in the OL (or in the case of last year, 4).

More revisionist history from the guy whose handle is named after the guy he is pumping up. There are a lot of ways to measure an offense. Yards, points, efficiency, etc. All of them tell a slightly different picture. Regarding KOK, he had some very good offenses, such as 2001-03. But, he fielded some pretty bad offenses as well (2004, 2007 (uggg), 2011) and that is giving him a pass for his first two seasons, which were unwatchable at times.

Greg Davis is generally pretty bad statistically now matter how you measure it. Bad hire. Bad OC.

BF has actually had a couple decent scoring teams, but yards have never been good and we know what a train wreck the last two seasons have been.

All three of these OCs have not been particularly awesome at Iowa. Is KOK the best of the bunch? Probably, but that aint saying much.

Philben was a stud OL coach. We have had great individual offensive lineman at Iowa since he left, but nothing close to what that 2002 OL was. He parlayed that season into the start of a nice NFL career. Since then, we always seem to have 1-2 gaping holes in the OL (or in the case of last year, 4).

The common denominator? ………….. drum role……

Bound to happen in big boy football. Kirk had Philbin leave, but I damned sure hope he has enough horse sense to keep Woods @ Iowa, any way possible.

My first thought was... He's available? Why didn't Iowa grab him!
Maybe he did not want to come back to Iowa. Its not like he has deep roots. He coached here for a few years 20+ years ago. If loyalty did not matter, and you just wanted to be a part of a winning organization, would you rather be in IC or Columbus? There is no grab, its gotta be a two way street.

The common denominator? ………….. drum role……
I know you are hinting at KF. In my view, it comes down to QB play. All these F'ers call basically the same plays. Either they have a playmaking QB to execute them, or they don't.

When Nate Stanley was the QB, BF was a thoroughly average OC running a thoroughly average offense. If Iowa had an average offense the last two seasons we would have contended for titles. We did not because the QB stank.

CJ Beatherd, arguably the best QB of the KF era, deoderized a lot of shitty schemes and play calling by Davis.

KOK: when he had a QB (Banks, Tate, Stanzi) he had competent to really good offenses. When he ran out Jake Christensen the offense sucked balls.

So, that is why I have some optimism that even the reviled BF can rebound as an OC this year, because we seem to have a legitimate playmaking QB. If McNamara is healthy and plays to the level we saw at Michigan, the offense will be at least ok. We shall see.

Maybe he did not want to come back to Iowa. Its not like he has deep roots. He coached here for a few years 20+ years ago. If loyalty did not matter, and you just wanted to be a part of a winning organization, would you rather be in IC or Columbus? There is no grab, its gotta be a two way street.

You don't know why any more than I do.

I know you are hinting at KF. In my view, it comes down to QB play. All these F'ers call basically the same plays. Either they have a playmaking QB to execute them, or they don't.

When Nate Stanley was the QB, BF was a thoroughly average OC running a thoroughly average offense. If Iowa had an average offense the last two seasons we would have contended for titles. We did not because the QB stank.

CJ Beatherd, arguably the best QB of the KF era, deoderized a lot of shitty schemes and play calling by Davis.

Totally agree with everything you posted here. If Brian just leaves the transfer QB alone we should see significant improvement.

KOK: when he had a QB (Banks, Tate, Stanzi) he had competent to really good offenses. When he ran out Jake Christensen the offense sucked balls.

So, that is why I have some optimism that even the reviled BF can rebound as an OC this year, because we seem to have a legitimate playmaking QB. If McNamara is healthy and plays to the level we saw at Michigan, the offense will be at least ok. We shall see.