Former Hawkeye Greg Brunner Connects with Incoming Freshman Josh Ogundele

great article, Rick!

Maybe Greg can give Josh some pointers on how to scratch and claw for every single rebound and then maybe Josh can be the first to become a 1000 career rebound!

I'll bet Josh is chomping at the bit to get the visa situation worked out and get to IC.

Very excited to see the development and progression of Ogundele. I think he'll end up being pretty damn good by his Senior year.

Great article Rob. It was fun watching him here in CC. My boys idolized him as did many of us here.

I got to see Brunner play twice in-person while he was in HS. One of the better players I ever witnessed at that level. He could do it all. Both times versus Webster City In Jefferson Gymnasium. Pretty sure Brunner was a Sophomore the first time. Chuck City beat us and we had a real good team that year. I'll never forget- first play of the game- alley oop dunk to David Rottinghaus (I think that was his name, went on to play at Wyoming, IIRC). The second time was Brunner's Sr year. Him and our best player, Jared Josten (ended up playing & contributing at UNI), went blow for blow that game. Both had 40+ points I'm certain. Brunner played a lot of PG that game, too. A 6 foot 7 PG was interesting. We came out on top that game though. :cool:

Very excited to see the development and progression of Ogundele. I think he'll end up being pretty damn good by his Senior year.

I understand the development angle on JO, but I think he'll come along a little faster. He needs to lean down a bit and refine his game, but he'll contribute. The kid obviously isn't afraid to be challenged and work...looks like he has a great attitude

I took my son to IC to watch Brunner, Horner. and Pierre Pierce play in the PTL. The League was very good at that time and fun to watch. We were sitting behind the basket when a woman walked up, and reached out to me to take her hand to help her sit down. Mrs. Horner sat next to me the entire game and we talked throughout. That was very nice. The games were intense at the time and Brunner made an impression on me. He would rebound almost every defensive rebound and immediately throw the ball downcourt to Horner or Pierce.

The Hawks were really a pleasure to watch his junior season with Horner, Brunner, Haluska, Doug Thomas, and Pierre Pierce. In a pre-conference tournament in Hawaii, Jay Bilas mentioned with emphasis, that the Hawks were a Very Good team after beating ranked Louisville and Texas.

:cool:

I understand the development angle on JO, but I think he'll come along a little faster. He needs to lean down a bit and refine his game, but he'll contribute. The kid obviously isn't afraid to be challenged and work...looks like he has a great attitude

Can't help but wonder how far behind he is, due to being stuck overseas and not being able to practice with the team.

If he doesn't get to IC until late summer he may be the leading candidate to redshirt. He's missing valuable strength and conditioning time.

If he doesn't get to IC until late summer he may be the leading candidate to redshirt. He's missing valuable strength and conditioning time.

Kind of hope all goes well, and soon. If Luka comes back, there will be a bullseye on him, and we will need an enforcer who might not care about 3 quick fouls to "settle" opposing teams down. If Luka does not return, we need the extra big..............

I took my son to IC to watch Brunner, Horner. and Pierre Pierce play in the PTL. The League was very good at that time and fun to watch. We were sitting behind the basket when a woman walked up, and reached out to me to take her hand to help her sit down. Mrs. Horner sat next to me the entire game and we talked throughout. That was very nice. The games were intense at the time and Brunner made an impression on me. He would rebound almost every defensive rebound and immediately throw the ball downcourt to Horner or Pierce.

The Hawks were really a pleasure to watch his junior season with Horner, Brunner, Haluska, Doug Thomas, and Pierre Pierce. In a pre-conference tournament in Hawaii, Jay Bilas mentioned with emphasis, that the Hawks were a Very Good team after beating ranked Louisville and Texas.

:cool:

Had the pleasure of watching those games in person. Was the trip of a lifetime the way everything played out. Pitino went from being cordial in the hallways of the hotel to giving us Iowa fans looks of hatred after the Hawks beat em. :)

Not going to dispute Brunner's opinion of how excited Iowa fans were to sign him, but for myself, I remember being very excited that he wanted to be a Hawk. I remember seeing videos of him on the news as a HS player and, just as he was in college, he was relentless. Hope Josh plays the same way, but I really believe he would profit from taking a redshirt year.

Not going to dispute Brunner's opinion of how excited Iowa fans were to sign him, but for myself, I remember being very excited that he wanted to be a Hawk. I remember seeing videos of him on the news as a HS player and, just as he was in college, he was relentless. Hope Josh plays the same way, but I really believe he would profit from taking a redshirt year.

Absoluely agree he would profit greatly from a RS year, but with Garza still silent, I think I would rather see him play. JUST ANNOUNCE ALREADY LUKA!!! I'm sure he's made up his mind already, don't you?

Hard to say what Luka is thinking at this point. This pandemic, and the way it is raising it's ugly head again makes the future of basketball, at all levels, very problematic for (at least) the upcoming season. Luka might be smart waiting things out until the absolute deadline.

Latest posts