Former Hawk, Tyler Smith to play in Israel

HawkeyeHypnosis

Former Vol Tyler Smith to play in Israel - Knoxville Tennessee Volunteers | Examiner.com

Its a shame he couldn't stick it out at Iowa. Things probably could have worked out better in the long run for him. I thought he had the potential to play imt the NBA. Well, now he plays in Israel. From article:

The Allegiant Athletic Agency announced this weekend that former Tennessee basketball player, Tyler Smith, has signed a one year deal with the Israeli basketball club, Hapoel Holon.

The 6-foot-7 forward spent last season with the German team, BBC Bayreuth. Smith appeared in 32 games and posted an average of 6.3 points and 6.1 rebounds per game while playing for BBC Bayreuth.

Following his illustrious high school career, Smith initially signed with the Iowa Hawkeyes where he started 29 games and was named to the All-Big Ten Third Team and the Big Ten All-Freshman Team.

Tyler Smith abandoned the Hawkeyes during their darkest hours to play for that slimeball Bruce Pearl (the one I once advocated as the next Iowa coach -- sigh). We know how well that turned out for everyone involved. I, too, could not care less about Tyler Smith. He is dead to me.

Tyler Smith abandoned the Hawkeyes during their darkest hours to play for that slimeball Bruce Pearl (the one I once advocated as the next Iowa coach -- sigh). We know how well that turned out for everyone involved. I, too, could not care less about Tyler Smith. He is dead to me.

Let's not forget his dad was sick. But don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Not cool...

I forgot all about him.
Say what you want, but he did look exactly like Jimi Hendrix.

Last edited:
His Dad was sick when he picked Iowa to begin with. That was just his excuse to get a hardship transfer waiver.
Really?? Is it not out of the realm of possibility that when he decided to come to Iowa that he thought his dad may have been getting better? Or that the distance wouldn't have been that big a deal. Kids think that and go to schools along ways from home and then after being there change their minds regardless of what the home situation is. I for one wouldn't hold it over his head that he went home to be with his ailing Dad. I wonder if going home is what got him to go down the wrong path with the drugs and weapons. Hanging around old friends who may have been bad influences. Or if he was just that type of kid and he woulda went down that road at Iowa. We'll never know but I assume he's kept his nose clean since.

I, for one, am glad that Tyler left. Had he stayed, then we probably have to suffer with Lickliter for longer than we did. He did us a favor by leaving!

Tyler was really a fun player to watch as a Hawkeye,but as it turned out, it was better for him to go home,to be closer to his dad,who did die from cancer.
Sure,he got in some trouble,but in the end,nobody was actually hurt,but himself.
I am glad he is making a living off of his talent. Gives him a chance to take care of his family and be a contributing member of society. Some fans on here have agendas that go beyond Tyler, but choose to take it out on him....let it go!

Umm...yeah, "nobody was actually hurt", so we should all just look past this part:

Inside the vehicle, according to DeBusk, officers found a handgun under the driver's seat, "accessible by either the driver or left rear seat passenger." They also found a handgun, with an altered serial number under the passenger seat, accessible by either the front seat passenger or right rear seat passenger, according to DeBusk.

Four UT basketball players face drug and weapon charges » GoVolsXtra

Four young men in a car, stoned, two guns, speeding down a road at 11:30 in the morning. Nothing wrong with that! It's normal everyday behavior!!

I saw him play in one game, vs. Bobo and Becky. I thought he was the best player on the court. The kid could play, good luck to him.

Latest posts