Forbes isn't even the 1st assistant to Pearl?

Kingsbury14

Would we even consider this guy if he wasn't from Iowa?

Just trying to reconcile this. Paying a $2.4M buyout AND opening up the checkbook for a new coach and seemingly the most talked about name right now is Forbes? Really?

It's my understanding he isn't even the lead assistant on Pearl's staff. Tony Jones is - brother of Bill Jones.

Forbes really doesn't do anything for me either. I just have to believe that Iowa looks at all there options strongly before considering Forbes. He IMO must be a fall back guy.

However like Jon has said. Whatever the decision I will support it and hope it's the right move.

Forbes really doesn't do anything for me either. I just have to believe that Iowa looks at all there options strongly before considering Forbes. He IMO must be a fall back guy.

However like Jon has said. Whatever the decision I will support it and hope it's the right move.

I haven't said I will rubber stamp the decision.

But once it is made, I will certainly root for that coach to be successful

Hiring a #2 assistant program from an SEC school would be beyond a MAJOR disappointment.

I said if Keno Davis was not the son of Mr. Davis, we would never have even mentioned his name for this job.

With Forbes, if he was not a native of Lone Tree, again, he wouldn't even get a mention here.

Would we even consider this guy if he wasn't from Iowa?
Maybe not, but is anyone desperate for another Mid-Major Indiana native? Being an avid Iowa fan (as Forbes is) and having lived in Iowa would at least insinuate that he has some appreciation for the Iowa job.

Lickliter just never came off as really getting into being a Hawkeye.

maybe if lickliter had 5 players from the football team they would of beat Duquesne and Texas-San Antonio......its like the prisoners vs the prison guards out there...need some color on the court

I have gone on the Tenn. boards and have been told by the VOl fans that Forbes can flat out recruit, and that he is the only reason they even have a shot at Selby a 5* recruit. The fans aren't very interested in losing him, and keep telling me we ought to be thinking about Jacobsen. This speaks volumes in my mind.

I'll support whoever they hire. Forbes just does not excite me at all. Again, if he wasn't from Lone Tree, he would not even be considered.

I have gone on the Tenn. boards and have been told by the VOl fans that Forbes can flat out recruit, and that he is the only reason they even have a shot at Selby a 5* recruit. The fans aren't very interested in losing him, and keep telling me we ought to be thinking about Jacobsen. This speaks volumes in my mind.

Pearl was able to bring in great kids prior to Forbes. Lets not fool ourselves that Forbes is the reason that TN is successful because there is only one reason that TN is successful. PEARL! PEARL! PEARL!

If your number one reason for our next coach is that he is an Iowan then our top priority should be Keno.

Interesting you guys keep mentioning Forbe's resume in the context of TN, only. Everywhere he's gone, the recruiting exploded for that school - each time... his resume is more than TN. Granted the Lone Tree aspect has US talking about him - not the school - but that is a good reason why the Iowa Native is on everyone's mind... because he should have a better understanding of the Iowa BB landscape and WANT to stay in Iowa. 4 out of the last 5 coaches didn't get it... so doesn't it make sense to consider an Iowa native? Not to mention we sorely need a a coach/staff that can flatout recruit... tired of the NC, Kansas and Duke's of the world coming in a plucking out in-state recruits.

But can he sell his own program? Right now he is selling a program being run by Bruce Pearl, he has NCAA appearances with 3 Sweet 16 appearances, and a SEC conference championship. You go from selling that to selling an Iowa program that still has no practice facility, coming off a 20 game losing season, and has not been to the NCAA tournament in 4 years. Iowa's last sweet 16 appearance was in 1999 and they have not even won a game in the tournament since 2001. He had better be one heck of a salesman.

Last edited:
Interesting you guys keep mentioning Forbe's resume in the context of TN, only. Everywhere he's gone, the recruiting exploded for that school - each time... his resume is more than TN. Granted the Lone Tree aspect has US talking about him - not the school - but that is a good reason why the Iowa Native is on everyone's mind... because he should have a better understanding of the Iowa BB landscape and WANT to stay in Iowa. 4 out of the last 5 coaches didn't get it... so doesn't it make sense to consider an Iowa native? Not to mention we sorely need a a coach/staff that can flatout recruit... tired of the NC, Kansas and Duke's of the world coming in a plucking out in-state recruits.

This.

Still, there is very little info on the Internet about him, except for his bio. He is the great unknown.

But can he sell his own program? Right now he is selling a program being run by Bruce Pearl, he has NCAA appearances with 3 Sweet 16 appearances, and a SEC conference championship. You go from selling that to selling an Iowa program that still has no practice facility, coming off a 20 game losing season, and has not been to the NCAA tournament in 4 years. Iowa's last sweet 16 appearance was in 1999 and they have not even won a game in the tournament since 2001. He had better be one heck of a salesman.

Good question. I'm trying to remember what he had to sale at the previous schools... seems like a couple of those schools had poor seasons prior to him being on staff and was able to land top 10 or 20 classes (the next year), after he was hired. To be honest, I think his X's and O's will be more of factor than anything... can he do it or hire an asst. who can?

Seems to me we should hire Jacobson with the stipulation he hires the best used car salesmen in the Iowa City area for his lead recruiter.

Latest posts