For you Nats fans....Harper called up to the bigs

In all seriousness though, it will be interesting to see how a 19 year old fares in the Big Leagues. I know they are off to a great start, and they have a key injury on the team, but calling up a kid this early could have negative consequences. Ideally you would like to give him more than a year to develop in your system.

I know he's most likely going to be a perennial All Star in time, however I'm surprised they brought him up already. He hasn't proven that he can hit well above high A. He was OK at double A, and struggled at triple A. I can't see him doing great right now against major league pitching.

There are some Nats fans believe or not and I am one of the few. I don't think it's a good idea. I'm just really surprised after Rizzo basically said it'll be the end of the summer if they consider it. He may not be hitting the minor pitchers very well at the moment, but he did have some great stats in fall ball and mid season last year. We'll see, I guess at the end of the day if the club feels he's ready to go who am I to question that I'm not watching him on a daily basis. Can't hurt to get some offense to help out this fantastic start from the pitching crew

In all seriousness though, it will be interesting to see how a 19 year old fares in the Big Leagues. I know they are off to a great start, and they have a key injury on the team, but calling up a kid this early could have negative consequences. Ideally you would like to give him more than a year to develop in your system.
Starlin Castro was 20 when the Cubs brought him up. That said, 19 is very young. Good luck to the kid.

Castro can hit but he's still learning SS. For the most part he's handled it well. He's proof it can be done.

If he isn't ready for it, give him a taste and send him back down and call him back up in September. It's not like they are every going to use all of their options with him and if they did, it would mean he is never going to be what they hoped.

Wasn't Miguel Cabrera like 19 when he was called up? He's done okay for himself.

I could also be dreaming since I drafted Harper for one of my fantasy teams just in case

I'm with ya whammer, I didn't draft him but I picked him up immediately out of FA, and have been holding on to him since. I hope he makes it pay off a little at least.

Pretty good debut for Harper 1-3 double, sac fly RBI. Looked pretty relaxed overall we'll see if he can build on it

Last night Hamels hit Harper intentionally, then Harper proceeded to steal home. This kid is a stud.
Love it both ways - Hamels has the stones to admit he did it on purpose and plunked in the back. And Harper shows he isn't intimidated. Plus, this game showed how you handle these situations - Hamels was hit in his next AB, benches warned, situation done. This wouldn't happen in the American League. :)

I also like the attempt by the Nats GM to get all concerned ... it's not like he's getting in the batter's box. Nice take by Cowherd in this link.

Mike Rizzo of Washington Nationals -- Cole Hamels of Phillies fake tough, not old school - ESPN

Last night Hamels hit Harper intentionally, then Harper proceeded to steal home. This kid is a stud.

Will be interesting, betting Hamels gets suspended for being a moron and opening his mouth admitting to hit Harper. However Harper handled it best by getting him back by stealing home.

Harper hit his first big league home run, a 3rd inning solo shot, tonight against San Diego.

Watched the video of it. Practically sprinted around the bases. He was either running on adrenaline or he wanted to show he can play with class.

Here's to many more.

Latest posts