For those who care...Spring Practice Two-Deeps

Yep, I think you are right Sam, even if you have a good d line I like the idea of substituting as much as you can to keep guys fresh and hungry when they are in there. It def helps when everyone is similar in talent level. I think last year and this year they are all pretty similar, except hopefully for cooper he might stand out more, so the rotation is good. I think we have to rotate a lot as a result of our talent level as opposed to a conscious coaching decision to rotate though.

Yep, I think you are right Sam, even if you have a good d line I like the idea of substituting as much as you can to keep guys fresh and hungry when they are in there. It def helps when everyone is similar in talent level. I think last year and this year they are all pretty similar, except hopefully for cooper he might stand out more, so the rotation is good. I think we have to rotate a lot as a result of our talent level as opposed to a conscious coaching decision to rotate though.
I'd say we have a little more talent this year, but I am just speculating. 2-star Steve Bigach and Joey Gags played hard all year, but talented isn't the word I would use to describe them.

Nope, more hard workers that put in their time versus talent I would say. We may have a little more talent this year

I could see cooper out at de this yr. But getting ltp back will be huge because davis is nothing more than a backup...plays with terrible leverage and technique...just big. Ott should give some young blood and meier will probably play some by the end of it. Really there are a lot of unknowns on the dl but they had talent coming in so it will be seeing if they can realize that talent.

Ol should be really good. Every spot (iirc) has starts eventhough blythe never got a start at center he did at guard. Plus scherff is as good as they come. Blythe at center over simmons and boffeli shows he is the better of the 3. Guard typically is the lowest of the spots...2 tackles then center then the guards. But they should be strong.

I am not trying to hate on miller but I know the lowdermilk kid is athletic and I would like to see him get reps over miller. Miller gets out of position a lot. Cb looks deep so hopefully that helps the safeties.

I like the 2 deep for rbs but I can't wait to see what barkley hill can do when he is ready because he has power and speed. Best combo of it that any rb has.

I'd feel more positive about the hawk fb program if we had a different OC. Maybe GD will change but I doubt it.

I could see cooper out at de this yr. But getting ltp back will be huge because davis is nothing more than a backup...plays with terrible leverage and technique...just big. Ott should give some young blood and meier will probably play some by the end of it. Really there are a lot of unknowns on the dl but they had talent coming in so it will be seeing if they can realize that talent.

Foval, I disagree with your assessment on Davis. Technique can be taught (and has been often at Iowa). Davis' size is what could make him a big (no pun intended) for the line this year. I think the Dline this year is gonna surprise. It's a great mix of talent, potential, and/or motor guys.

I, like you, am also excited about B.Hill at RB. IIRC, he was the front runner (pun intended) last fall before going down with the knee.

Foval, I disagree with your assessment on Davis. Technique can be taught (and has been often at Iowa). Davis' size is what could make him a big (no pun intended) for the line this year. I think the Dline this year is gonna surprise. It's a great mix of talent, potential, and/or motor guys.

I, like you, am also excited about B.Hill at RB. IIRC, he was the front runner (pun intended) last fall before going down with the knee.

Yea technique can be taught. But he is a senior and his technique is still terrible...he is a big body that does very little. When he came in people thought he would be great because of his size. It took until last season for him to get decent snaps and he got passed by quickly because he got single blocked by ol...because of bad technique. He is a highly toted player that has done less than steve bigach in his career...that should tell enough.

Yea technique can be taught. But he is a senior and his technique is still terrible...he is a big body that does very little. When he came in people thought he would be great because of his size. It took until last season for him to get decent snaps and he got passed by quickly because he got single blocked by ol...because of bad technique. He is a highly toted player that has done less than steve bigach in his career...that should tell enough.

He (Davis) is a junior this fall.

He (Davis) is a junior this fall.

My bad he will be a redshirt junior...ie his 4th yr in the program. I don't trust a player developing good technique if they haven't figured it out after 3 yrs in the program. My money is on the young guys with better technique surpassing him and him giving them blows. Technique wins over size and he has size but terrible technique.

My bad he will be a redshirt junior...ie his 4th yr in the program. I don't trust a player developing good technique if they haven't figured it out after 3 yrs in the program. My money is on the young guys with better technique surpassing him and him giving them blows. Technique wins over size and he has size but terrible technique.

A lot of people have the lights come on going into their 4th year. If it doesn't happen this year I will agree it probably won't but I think he still has a decent shot at improving.

A lot of people have the lights come on going into their 4th year. If it doesn't happen this year I will agree it probably won't but I think he still has a decent shot at improving.
for 2 years the DL has rick Kaz as coach. For a lot of players that is a big negative. So while Davis is in his 4th year it is 2nd with coaching. Reese had to learn as he went last year. Reid will help a lot with both DL and Lbers this year.

for 2 years the DL has rick Kaz as coach. For a lot of players that is a big negative. So while Davis is in his 4th year it is 2nd with coaching. Reese had to learn as he went last year. Reid will help a lot with both DL and Lbers this year.

That point cannot be underestimated on the negative lingering affect that pr8ck Kaz had on some of these guys. Given the fact some guys take fours years to be turned into solid players Davis still might come around to being a solid member of the d-line rotation.

That point cannot be underestimated on the negative lingering affect that pr8ck Kaz had on some of these guys. Given the fact some guys take fours years to be turned into solid players Davis still might come around to being a solid member of the d-line rotation.

'Sup PJ? Anyway, is Kaz still at Nebraska? I hope he ruins their line.

Sorry if posted above, but who is Smith at WR? Is he one of the juco guys?

Sorry if posted above, but who is Smith at WR? Is he one of the juco guys?

Tevaun Smith and no he isnt a JUCO. Played a little bit last year as a true frosh.

I believe he is from Canada.

I wish herby was around just so I could read his explanation behind donnal being at guard and scherff at tackle. He claimed that scherff our best ol last yr would be passed over by donnal because donnal was taller.

Tevaun Smith and no he isnt a JUCO. Played a little bit last year as a true frosh.

I believe he is from Canada.

I believe Smith is also a burner (hands may not be the best-a lot if drops last year). I think he's the guy that can take the lid off of defenses, and open things up. And from the OP, it sounds like the offense will hopefully get a chance to do that this year. That was a significant Achilles heel last year. IMO. SIAP

I wish herby was around just so I could read his explanation behind donnal being at guard and scherff at tackle. He claimed that scherff our best ol last yr would be passed over by donnal because donnal was taller.

And why WOULDN'T this be the case?

I'm sure he's still there as Bo and him are perfect for each other.

As for me I'm celebrating the one year anniversary of being with my Lady Friend by spending all of my weekends helping her pack and getting ready to move as she sold her home. You'll be happy to know her family is all 1%'ers so it is definitely worth my time and effort.

Hate to break it to you but Herby was right. Donnal is taller.

Latest posts