MLB - Morris, Alston
WLB - Hitchens, Fisher
CB - Lowery, Fleming
CB - Lomax, Draper
SS - Law, Lowdermilk/Gair
FS - Miller, Lowdermilk/Gair

K - Meyer, Koehn
P - Kornbrath, Mullings

How fluid do you think the line is right now? Typically this time of year it's like water.

So Rudock is going to get the first crack? I almost thought we'd see Sokol on the top line given the reluctance to use Rudock last year.

That's a quick rise for Ott. Didn't he have his redshirt pulled off only late in the year last season?

That's a quick rise for Ott. Didn't he have his redshirt pulled off only late in the year last season?

That's correct.

And I think it's pretty indicative of where the talent at D-End is this year. Not that Ott can't be a good player, but a place like Iowa, who needs great players in the trenches on both sides of the ball, can't afford to have a guy like Ott at this stage of his career being a starter. Just can't happen.

So Rudock is going to get the first crack? I almost thought we'd see Sokol on the top line given the reluctance to use Rudock last year.

I suspect it's closer to a "/" for all three of them. But I have no evidence of this other than gut feeling.

I suspect it's closer to a "/" for all three of them. But I have no evidence of this other than gut feeling.

Given KF's penchant for "rewarding" seniority, I'm gonna guess that Ruddock's name is first simply because he's got the most time in the program among the QBs.

King & Kroul
That's correct.

And I think it's pretty indicative of where the talent at D-End is this year. Not that Ott can't be a good player, but a place like Iowa, who needs great players in the trenches on both sides of the ball, can't afford to have a guy like Ott at this stage of his career being a starter. Just can't happen.

Really ? the team sucked when they were Fr ? I agree its good when guys have time to develop. But the premise that guys cant play young I dont know about. How many years do we hear that KF is terrible because he wont play the young guys.

Child, please. First of all, if you are using King & Kroul circa 2007, you need to have a history lesson.

Second of all, I'm not aware of any fan with even a modicum of common sense, calling for offensive line/defensive line players being played early. It's always been skill position players.

Goodness.

Thanks, I have a much better understanding now. I will follow your post for all thing Hawkeye in the future
Child, please. First of all, if you are using King & Kroul circa 2007, you need to have a history lesson.

Second of all, I'm not aware of any fan with even a modicum of common sense, calling for offensive line/defensive line players being played early. It's always been skill position players.

Goodness.

Couple of things standout...

Blythe at Center - My guess is that they were pleased with Boffeli last year at left guard...and KF always likes 5th year guys to play like 5th year guys. I have a feeling Simmons is going to push the hell out of Boffeli though. OL looks really solid.

DE - No Spears...surprising that Vencukus is there not Spears. Ott must have impressed the hell out of Parker/Morgan also. They wouldn't have burned the shirt if they didn't think he was going to be a good one early. Promising...my guess is that Meier moves into this somewhere by the end of Spring...Hardy and McMinn better improve.

YB, and no FB - I like getting guys like Duzey and KGR-Cole on the field. Guys with size that can catch or block. Not the stone hands FB's of the past. I like it.

Ott played last year due to injuries making it necessary. My guess is that his listing as starter is due to performance in winter drillls as much as anything.

It was always a part of plan to play Blythe at Center after JF graduated. He talked about that when being recruited.

Those two deeps are going to change so dont mean alot at this time.

Just for fun here is the Spring two deep from last year-

SE - Martin-Manley, Hillyer/Staggs
LT - Scherff/Donnal
LG - Tobin, Clark
C - Ferentz, Boffeli, Simmons
RG - Boffeli/Blythe, Walsh
RT - Van Sloten, MacMillan
TE - Fiedorowicz, Derby
WR - Davis, Shumpert
QB - Vandenberg, Rudock
FB - Rogers, Gimm
RB - Canzeri, Bullock, Johnson

DE - Tsopanides, Spears
DT - Bigach, Trinca-Pasat
DT - Cooper, Gaglione
DE - McMinn, Hardy
OLB - Kirksey, DiBona
MLB - Morris, Alston
WLB - Hitchens, Collins/Fisher
LC - Lowery, Lomax
RC - Hyde, Castillo
FS - Miller, Lowdermilk/Swanson
SS - Law, Donatell/Sleeper

PK - Meyer, Koehn, Mossbrucker
P - Wienke/Mullings
LS - Kreiter
H - Wienke

Sure some of the names and spots were the same once fall camp started and even when the the NIU two deep came out but I don't think there is any reason people should freak out or read too much into who is listed.

Couple of things standout...

Blythe at Center - My guess is that they were pleased with Boffeli last year at left guard...and KF always likes 5th year guys to play like 5th year guys. I have a feeling Simmons is going to push the hell out of Boffeli though. OL looks really solid.

DE - No Spears...surprising that Vencukus is there not Spears. Ott must have impressed the hell out of Parker/Morgan also. They wouldn't have burned the shirt if they didn't think he was going to be a good one early. Promising...my guess is that Meier moves into this somewhere by the end of Spring...Hardy and McMinn better improve.

YB, and no FB - I like getting guys like Duzey and KGR-Cole on the field. Guys with size that can catch or block. Not the stone hands FB's of the past. I like it.

Am I dumb not knowing what YB stands for?

Ott playing: Other teams who have done better than us have played young guys. Will he get better with time and pt? Yes. Is it possible for him to do a good job now? Yes.
I don't care what history books teach you, not all men are created equal.

Latest posts