For those who attended, are we really that slow?

hawkIhoops

Bobby and Dolph must have mentioned at least a dozen times that NWMSU was quicker off the bounce and to the ball. Offensive rebounding was obviously an issue and coming out of half, Dillard said the staff was not satisfied with anything.

Was it more first game jitters / adjusting to game speed or are we really that slow of foot? From the radio broadcast, it sounded like they had their way with us down low, but creidt the team and staff, as adjustments were made at half.

Mizzou had a very quick pg who was of the Earl Boykins mold where he was 5'7 but the quickest guy on the floor.

Iowa will never be the quickest back court outside of Cartwright, but I would say the front court is above average in terms of quickness. Iowa slept walked through the game which never helps with this matter.

I watched online. NWMST had a wing player (the leading scorer) who was a transfer from Ill St. He was the best wing on the floor.

From what I saw this team has four primary weaknesses and this in order of importance

1. We don't have a wing player that has great quickness to get to the rim and defend other players quickness. May is a good athlete but doesn't have the ball skills and is not a great defender. Marble is not quick either. I don't see us improving this next year.

2. Interior game is extremely weak. We will miss Cole. It will be interesting to see if White can play inside effectively when real competition starts since they have him playing post.

3. No backup PG. It was interesting because Fran talked about how Marble had his progression slowed last year having to play PG but this was not addressed. If BC gets hurt we are dead

4. Basabe's inefficiency. I think Basabe is a lot like Reggie Evans. When you run the offense through him things get stagnant and very inefficient. Slows play down and tends to turn it over. Got several shots sent back by their bigs. Also seems to still be foul prone. Not a good sign. Somebody posted about Fran having a sit down with two players about attitude and I am sure Basabe was one of them. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

I can't wait for a real game so our resident coaches can really unload on this team. This isn't mid-January by the way. It was a scrimmage.

I would agree to some extent..

I can't wait for a real game so our resident coaches can really unload on this team. This isn't mid-January by the way. It was a scrimmage.

obsessing over all mistakes or drawing conclusions (positive or negative) from one scrimmage is dangerous.

That said, there is a reason why Fran went out and recruited Hubbard - this team is still in desperate need of athleticism/ability on the perimeter. A year of improvement from Gatens/May/Marble and the addition of Oglesby help, but only to a degree. It's likely this team will still look overwhelmed at times on the perimeter against the likes of MSU, OSU, Illinois, Michigan.

Looking for steps forward this year. If team can stay healthy, they can win more games than they lose. But talk of 12-1 non-conference record and approaching 20 wins seems pie in the sky to me.

I realize a lot can change from now until Jan. Just look at last years team as proof of that. We had no inside game at all and PG was a crap shoot at this time last year. I am not saying that Fran can't or won't get us back but it is still a long road ahead and the excitement of the great recruiting class won't change the current reality.

We are still lacking in some very key areas as I outlined. Hubbard would have probably addressed two of them by giving somebody who creates and match up with athletic wings as well as backup PG.

But if you want to look at positives compared to last coaching staff; just having almost all the players stay and almost every scholarship player and even some of the walkons at least showing some promise is a big start.

Archie avg 1 rebound every 4 minutes is not good if he want to be the starting Center he has got to do better on defensive rebounding, all game lond Bobby and Dolphe talked about how they were getting their but kicked in giving up rebounds, also i don't understand the talk of Olaseni leading the team in rebound during practice and the Rodman comparision the he get garbage minute and 5 minutes total for the game, if he is not going to play him he should redshirt him, afterall it was just a scrimmage that doesn't count in any catagory

Fans need to remember this was an exhibition game, more or less a glorified scrimmage, Butler got beat by Northern State sd, think that would happen in the regular season, I'm sure the coaches will have the players attention this week in practice, I would bet there will be some intense rebounding and closeout drills being done this week, Hopefully the players will put out a better effort in their first real game.

This was an exhibition game nto a scrimmage correct? You can actually have scrimmages before the season, like ISU did with Nebraska.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this game. No one was going to play like their life was on the line. Drake actually lost their exhibition game so things could be worse.

Yeah they looked a bit rusty. Basically like they were playing their first organized competition of the season. The first half had some moments where they looked pretty ugly but they picked it up in the second half a bit. Either way, they obviously didn't play their best game and still won by 20 - for whatever it's worth.

They have some young players who have showed some potential. Not to mention they can easily go 11 deep (12 if you count Stubbs - which I won't), which is a night and day difference from our previous regime. Plenty of things to build on but they are very young and it will take some time.

BTW, some people need to use periods in their sentences. ;)

I think we will see a different energy level when the real games start.

Basabe will ride the pine if he doesn't bring it during the season, But I don't think that will be the case.

Coach will have them ready to play.

Go Hawks!!!!!

Basabe is so overrated.

I saw nothing from him last year that led me to believe he would be a dominant Big 10 player.

Basabe seems to play to the level of the competition, at least when he doesn't get into foul trouble. He needs to bring his A game every single time if we are to have a decent year. Regarding the rebounds, they seemed to get a lot of offensive rebounds and some of that was just the bounce of the ball. Overall, for the game, we did out rebound them.

he's only over rated by our own fans. I don't think anyone else really rates him at all.

Oh so wrong...so sad:

College Basketball Power Rankings

Basabe is not overrated, he needs help, not sure if he is going to get a whole lot this year down low, but things will open up if Gatens and Oglesby hit some of the wide open shots that were missed badly last year.

It wasn't too difficult to defend Iowa last season when overplaying passing lanes against Cartwright and doubling Basabe, Iowa won games when other stepped up and produced...it doesn't make Basabe overrated.

The problem with Basabe is not his skill set. The biggest problem is that he made it known that he didn't want to partake in the game on Sunday. He had awful body language, he wouldn't give teammates any dap, his cuts were lazy, etc. I really hope he doesn't adopt the entitled attitude that he showed this summer and in the exhibition game.

I think he is a great kid and will be a key part of Iowa's success moving forward.

Latest posts