For people interested in analytics

A lot of our main competition has easier schedules compared to us looking at this chart. I would agree....especially Michigan.

Saw this on sb Nation. Has a Michigan state lean, but found it really interesting.
It figures: Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Rutgers all have easier schedules. I guess that mean only 1 thing: we need to beat them head to head!

I loved the scatter graph! Haven’t seen one since Statistics class in college. This guy is a serious math geek, who also loves sports! I was impressed

It figures: Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Rutgers all have easier schedules. I guess that mean only 1 thing: we need to beat them head to head!
Yeah, I know what you mean and, obviously, an easier schedule would be preferable to a harder one...but, consider:

- Good teams lose to teams they should beat all the time... possibly especially so in a league/year like this where most games promise to be a 40 minute bare knuckle brawl.

- Sadly, injuries happen. At least one of the championship contending teams is likely to be significantly impacted by injury before the race is won.

- Teams trend up and down, so what might look like an easy game today might be a tougher out in a few week's time. Not to bring up a bad memory, but recall a few years back when the Hawks were top 10 in the early/mid season and beating everyone in sight...and then by season's end I'm not sure we would have been a lock to win an intramural tournament.

It's a cliche, but I think the only way to go is to treat every game like a 1-game season. Try to go 1-0 and, if you fail, try to go 1-0 again a few nights later. Once you get down to the last 2-3 games, then start comparing schedules and scoreboard watching.

Just my 2 cents. I'm a big fan of analytics, but also acknowledging the games will be decided on court.

Yeah, I know what you mean and, obviously, an easier schedule would be preferable to a harder one...but, consider:

- Good teams lose to teams they should beat all the time... possibly especially so in a league/year like this where most games promise to be a 40 minute bare knuckle brawl.

- Sadly, injuries happen. At least one of the championship contending teams is likely to be significantly impacted by injury before the race is won.

- Teams trend up and down, so what might look like an easy game today might be a tougher out in a few week's time. Not to bring up a bad memory, but recall a few years back when the Hawks were top 10 in the early/mid season and beating everyone in sight...and then by season's end I'm not sure we would have been a lock to win an intramural tournament.

It's a cliche, but I think the only way to go is to treat every game like a 1-game season. Try to go 1-0 and, if you fail, try to go 1-0 again a few nights later. Once you get down to the last 2-3 games, then start comparing schedules and scoreboard watching.

Just my 2 cents. I'm a big fan of analytics, but also acknowledging the games will be decided on court.
I'm already scoreboard watching. Problem is, I have no idea who to root for tonight.

I'm already scoreboard watching. Problem is, I have no idea who to root for tonight.
Easy for me. Sparty has caused us much recent hardwood angst.

I say let Buttgers pound on them and have Izzo et al creep on towards the B1G basement.

MSU will be MSU the rest of the season. I thought tonight their D' looked good. They get out on the three point shooters. Don't ever count them out. RU made some runs but they don't have the horses of MSU. Plus RU's FT shooting will be their Achilles heel the rest of the season. Because of that they will end up mid-pack in the B1G. They are good enough though to win some games, particularly at home. Any team outside of the B1G should beware of them at Indy. Us winning there is big.

Latest posts