Football ticket "Specials" for the first three games.

The ticket numbers posted aren't 100% accurate.Keep in mind, each visiting school gets 4,000 tickets. They send them back about 10-14 days before the game, if any are available.Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Missouri State will not bring 4,000 fans.I could see Northern Illinois bringing upwards of 2-3,000.Even the Big 10 games, not everyone will bring 4,000 fans from the allotment.Also, Bravo Sports receives 1,000 tickets to each game. They won't come close to selling that for the first 3 home games.So that's 5,000 seats to every game that are reserved, and a high percentage of those will be made available to the public eventually.There are numerous other groups that receive tickets, too.The "slow ticket sales" is because previous years, nearly every game would sell out the first day they went on sale.
They do not give 4K for the non-conference games. That is a B1G rule and only applies to conference games. The non-con contracts stipulate how many tickets the visitor's get, and I guarantee that none of those teams is getting anywhere close to 4K.

The ticket specials now give a rich booster a nice way to buy out an extra 1000 seats or so like a company does when an NFL team nears a blackout.
LOL, brilliant observation. I'm sure some rich old farmer will want to prevent a BTN blackout for those games, or protect our precious home sellout streak of ZERO (Nebraska was not a sellout last year). I'm sure there are a lot of people lining up to throw their money away for that.

Why are certain media types hyping up ISU's season ticket sales, while simultaneously calling Iowa's failure to sell less than 5% of their season total in early August disappointing? It's almost like there is a narrative they're following...Iowa only sold 59,000 season tickets :(, but ISU sold 40,000!!!!!:D

Game tickets should be more market based so no games would have empty seats. This would benefit both fans and the university here is how. All ticket sales should be sold similar to the way stocks are. So there would be a form of an auction. Prices would fall on the less interesting games such is Missouri State and the prices would drop accordingly. This would give fans on a tight budget more of a chance to go. It also keeps the stadium full. So the home field advantage and full customer bases for vendors. The University would make up for the loss in revenue on the big games because fans will bid up the price. All seats all games full at fair market value.

Why are certain media types hyping up ISU's season ticket sales, while simultaneously calling Iowa's failure to sell less than 5% of their season total in early August disappointing? It's almost like there is a narrative they're following...Iowa only sold 59,000 season tickets :(, but ISU sold 40,000!!!!!:D

Add to that ISU's ticket packages were much cheaper than Iowa's. Also factor in that for about half of Jack Trice you don't even need to donate to get into that section. At Iowa a normal person is probably paying at least $500-$600 a ticket compared to less than $200 at ISU. I would bet a small fortune ISU wouldn't sell out at Iowa type prices.

Iowa AD: No ‘gloom and doom’ on ticket sales | TheGazette

Going by this article, and reading it pessimistically, it appears that roughly 17,000 tickets remain out of the 494,095 for the season. Which means 3.4% of all tickets remain, and the season is over 3 weeks away.

It must be good when that is a bad year.

I don't think there is anything to this. Even if this year is like last year, 2014 ticket sales will be very strong as the fan base will believe that the 14 team will be good because so many players will be back.

Remember what happened as Iowa's basketball program crumbled? Gary Barta and the U of I have to be praying we don't have another season like last year. Another 4-8 and the cash cow that is Iowa Football will be hurting.

Remember what happened as Iowa's basketball program crumbled? Gary Barta and the U of I have to be praying we don't have another season like last year. Another 4-8 and the cash cow that is Iowa Football will be hurting.

Yes and no. The difference with football is that you get the whole game day experience. Going to the games last year wasn't fun but I still enjoyed the hell out of tailgating each Saturday. That's something you don't get from basketball.

Can anyone take advantage of the lower ticket prices, or do they have to be purchased by a season ticket holder?

Online tix office still shows normal prices.

Thank you!

The nice thing about this deal is that the prices are cheaper (for season tix holders-that is), and you can go online and pick your seats (much like how it will happen next year for the reseating).

Add to that ISU's ticket packages were much cheaper than Iowa's. Also factor in that for about half of Jack Trice you don't even need to donate to get into that section. At Iowa a normal person is probably paying at least $500-$600 a ticket compared to less than $200 at ISU. I would bet a small fortune ISU wouldn't sell out at Iowa type prices.

Ticket sales up at ISU, down at Iowa | TheGazette

According to the budget its submitting to the state Board of Regents, Iowa expects to make $21.36 million in overall football income this year. That’s down from $23.3 million from last year. Iowa State expects to make $10.1 million from ticket income this year, up from $9.4 million last year.

University actually makes more money off single game sales than season ticket sales.
This is especially true in the endzone seats where you don't need an IClub donation.
Season ticket this year is $388.
Non season ticket holders will pay $450.
Season ticket holders can pay $100 for a parking pass in the General Parking Lots.
Non season ticket holders will pay $20 a game, or $140 for the year.

Any sport team would love to sell out every seat as a season ticket because you also dont have to spend as much on marketing, sales people, and ancillary crap. Even if they make a little less overall on season tickets you have the money in hand well before the season for budgeting purposes.

And believe me, a lot of people go to the games and dont pay a dime in parking to the UI. The marginal game goer parks on some side street.

I am really surprised the Ath Dept hasnt put together some 3 game packages like two non-conf and one conf game for $100-125.

Game tickets should be more market based so no games would have empty seats. This would benefit both fans and the university here is how. All ticket sales should be sold similar to the way stocks are. So there would be a form of an auction. Prices would fall on the less interesting games such is Missouri State and the prices would drop accordingly. This would give fans on a tight budget more of a chance to go. It also keeps the stadium full. So the home field advantage and full customer bases for vendors. The University would make up for the loss in revenue on the big games because fans will bid up the price. All seats all games full at fair market value.
You wouldn't want that, trust me. A lot of MLB teams are doing that now and it's awful for the fans. Great for the team because they will make more money. Dynamic pricing will be taking over eventually.

You can't go below season ticket holder cost because that would kill the season ticket sales. There wouldn't be any reason to buy season tickets if the team offers tickets for cheaper during single game sales.
Next, prices begin to raise as seats are sold. University of Michigan is doing that this year. Take a look at their prices.
For example, Michigan vs Notre Dame. To just GET IN, the cheapest ticket is $260.
That isn't scalping... that is buying directly from the Michigan athletic office.
http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AUM%3AF13%3AF02%3A&linkID=umichse&shopperContext=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=F&cgc=
Sideline seats are $500 each.

So instead of paying a flat cost of $65-$70 for a Big ten game at home, you would be paying over $120+ every game.

Can anyone take advantage of the lower ticket prices, or do they have to be purchased by a season ticket holder?

Online tix office still shows normal prices.

Thank you!
Season ticket holders only. You have to sign into your account, and that will adjust the ticket prices.

You wouldn't want that, trust me. A lot of MLB teams are doing that now and it's awful for the fans. Great for the team because they will make more money. Dynamic pricing will be taking over eventually.

You can't go below season ticket holder cost because that would kill the season ticket sales. There wouldn't be any reason to buy season tickets if the team offers tickets for cheaper during single game sales.
Next, prices begin to raise as seats are sold. University of Michigan is doing that this year. Take a look at their prices.
For example, Michigan vs Notre Dame. To just GET IN, the cheapest ticket is $260.
That isn't scalping... that is buying directly from the Michigan athletic office.

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AUM%3AF13%3AF02%3A&linkID=umichse&shopperContext=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=F&cgc=
Sideline seats are $500 each.

So instead of paying a flat cost of $65-$70 for a Big ten game at home, you would be paying over $120+ every game.

Season ticket holders only. You have to sign into your account, and that will adjust the ticket prices.

I think Kansas basketball does this as well. I went down there to watch them play Iowa State last year (to cross Allen Fieldhouse off The List), and I remember seeing 80.00 prices on the KU website.

I thought about that problem too and tge solution would be to have season ticket sales be like the futures market. They would be bid on ahead of time in anticipation of what the final prices will be. The only way a buyer can get in on these futures is to buy them as a season. Thus avoiding the price spikes. So the season price would be calculated off the bid for all the games. Naturally having to buy all the tickets together would be a lower bid than each game would be. This way too the ticket price too could drop as far as the market would allow it. That part would be good for fans.

I dont have tritter/twitter. I do computer stuff and smartphone emails and text msgs all day during work, I dont need to get blasted by tweets and follow what people say they are doing.

HawkeyeNation is a good diversion for an hour.

Don't forget your stapler.

miltonresize1.jpg

Yes you would have both sides and I would be fine with that. So lets use basketball ball examples here. 1987 #1 Iowa vs #3? Indiana team is doing awesome prices spike to 200 dollars a ticket. Good for the team and good for the university financially. I would be more than happy to watch that game at home. On the other let's say one of the half full home games in 2009. Those tickets may drop to let's say 5 dollars. Good for us fans we can all afford to get in. Plus the team gets to play in front of a full house. So good for the team.

There definitely seems to be some bias there. And HFN makes some excellent points.

Any sport team would love to sell out every seat as a season ticket because you also dont have to spend as much on marketing, sales people, and ancillary crap. Even if they make a little less overall on season tickets you have the money in hand well before the season for budgeting purposes.

And believe me, a lot of people go to the games and dont pay a dime in parking to the UI. The marginal game goer parks on some side street.

I am really surprised the Ath Dept hasnt put together some 3 game packages like two non-conf and one conf game for $100-125.

What is a marginal game goer?
I have season tickets and I park in someone's yard near the stadium. I can get out pretty quickly too.

Latest posts