Football revenue question

GhostofBTT

Banned
Ok, so because I like to punish myself, I occasionally lurk on an Illinois board. I waded into a thread where they were complaining about how their pathetic football program in among the lowest revenue producers in the conference, despite the fact that they're Chicago's school and they have a big library.

Anyways, I came across this post attacking Iowa (I think?), and wanted a second opinion on it.
[Warning: Language Not Safe for Sane People]

I doubt people are aware how iowa & I am sure our other competitors get some of their revenue for football..that does NOT happen at Illinois. iowa footballl gets ALL the parking revenue from their hospital parking complex...the Dr's alone have to pay 1,000's of DOLLARS to park just so they can go to work at iowa along with ALL the other medical staff. This is the largest hospital in the state...iowa doesn't have many choices....so patients come from ALL OVER the state & HAVE to PARK for LONG PERIODS of TIME..AND I can ATTEST to the fact it is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. The Dr's told me this summer that they were ALL quite upset because everyone had their parking RAISED AGAIN ..& he said an ADDITIONAL $6,000 a year just so the iowa football team could MAKE MORE $$$$$$.
And just think Illinois athletics does NOT even get their own parking or concession revenue from their basketball games on top of haveing to PAY RENT to the school just to use the basketball floor... and the same goes for the women. On TOP of that Illinois athletics is given the BILL $$$$ to REMODEL the assembly Hall with air conditioning plus keep the appearance the same..all ADDING CONSIDERABLE $$$$ to the total cost...for the Illinois ATHLETIC DEPT....NOT the University. The Illinois athletic dept could have built their own basketball arena for HALF the $$$$$ it will eventually cost them just to SATISFY the Illinois Administration...
I think it is VERY OBVIOUS which schools try to HELP their athletic depts & ILLINOIS who NOT only does NOT HELP.........
BUT are a BIG OBSTACLE to the success of the athletic dept. TOO MANY on the campus are NOT INTERESTED in HELPING athletics at Illinois !!!!

If you speak Derpish, you might gather that this guy claims Iowa football (not the university, but the football program) charges all of the Doctors, staff, and patients of the hospital up to $6,000 a year to park at the hospital.

Is that fer real?

Ok, so because I like to punish myself, I occasionally lurk on an Illinois board. I waded into a thread where they were complaining about how their pathetic football program in among the lowest revenue producers in the conference, despite the fact that they're Chicago's school and they have a big library.

Anyways, I came across this post attacking Iowa (I think?), and wanted a second opinion on it.

I doubt people are aware how iowa & I am sure our other competitors get some of their revenue for football..that does NOT happen at Illinois. iowa footballl gets ALL the parking revenue from their hospital parking complex...the Dr's alone have to pay 1,000's of DOLLARS to park just so they can go to work at iowa along with ALL the other medical staff. This is the largest hospital in the state...iowa doesn't have many choices....so patients come from ALL OVER the state & HAVE to PARK for LONG PERIODS of TIME..AND I can ATTEST to the fact it is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. The Dr's told me this summer that they were ALL quite upset because everyone had their parking RAISED AGAIN ..& he said an ADDITIONAL $6,000 a year just so the iowa football team could MAKE MORE $$$$$$.
And just think Illinois athletics does NOT even get their own parking or concession revenue from their basketball games on top of haveing to PAY RENT to the school just to use the basketball floor... and the same goes for the women. On TOP of that Illinois athletics is given the BILL $$$$ to REMODEL the assembly Hall with air conditioning plus keep the appearance the same..all ADDING CONSIDERABLE $$$$ to the total cost...for the Illinois ATHLETIC DEPT....NOT the University. The Illinois athletic dept could have built their own basketball arena for HALF the $$$$$ it will eventually cost them just to SATISFY the Illinois Administration...
I think it is VERY OBVIOUS which schools try to HELP their athletic depts & ILLINOIS who NOT only does NOT HELP.........
BUT are a BIG OBSTACLE to the success of the athletic dept. TOO MANY on the campus are NOT INTERESTED in HELPING athletics at Illinois !!!!

If you speak Derpish, you might gather that this guy claims Iowa football (not the university, but the football program) charges all of the Doctors, staff, and patients of the hospital up to $6,000 a year to park at the hospital.

Is that fer real?

I think he's actually claiming they raised it an additional 6K this year. So I'm guessing we charge them around 20K for their spot. Seems reasonable.

Now we know why the won't paint the water tower, its because all the doctors have to get 2nd jobs to pay for their parking spots.

I read it and NOW I have a TERRIBLE headache as a RESULT of having READ IT. I would take some HEADACHE POWDER but am afraid I would be CHARGED TOO MUCH for it.

Throwing the "BS" flag on this one...he has no idea what he is talking about. Maybe on gamedays the Iowa athletic Department gets revenue. But I believe the only hospital ramp that is "closed" is ramp 2 (the one with the clock on it?) and maybe the one by field house.

And if you have a pass through UI parking and transportation you can park in the ramp on gameday IF you go into work.

Is that fer real?

So tGhost, did you straighten him out and let him know the revenue comes from the I80 westbound to IA city toll and all those guys they have picking up cans at the games?

To the Illinois poster's comments ... what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ridiculous. Then again, it'd be pretty amazing if some random internet poster was actually wrong about something like this.:rolleyes:

If he can personally attest to the cost of parking at the UIHC then I would have to guess he is off of his meds judging from the rambling incomplete incoherent sentences that seem to ramble on forever and then stop making sense while switching from one topic to another topic in midstream without really making a whole lot of sense. . .

I think he has it backwards. The hospital gets extra revenue from parking on game days. I have several friends that are doctors that work at UIHC and they always complain about having to work on game days because the idiotic football fans will be parking in their hospital parking lots.

I think he has it backwards. The hospital gets extra revenue from parking on game days. I have several friends that are doctors that work at UIHC and they always complain about having to work on game days because the idiotic football fans will be parking in their hospital parking lots.

Most likely this.

There is no way in hell that all yearly parking revenue from the UIHC ramps goes to the Iowa football program. That is just stupid to even think that. I'm sure all of that money goes to the UIHC, which took in something like 1 billion dollars last year in total revenue. This is where the parking fees go. Yes, I'm sure the docs ***** about it, but all that money is going to pay their employers.

I don't know how the gameday structure is set up, but I'm willing to bet that the parking money on those days still goes to the UIHC for using their ramps, thus Iowa football would be a net revenue GENERATOR for the hospital as they are foregoing the money they could charge if they owned those available spots.

I work there and I park there. I pay ~500 dollars per year for parking. Patients do not pay to park. I have no idea who gets revenue from game day parking but I can tell you that if the cars are on hospital property then I doubt the athletic dept. gets it. UIHC > UI Football.

I work there and I park there. I pay ~500 dollars per year for parking. Patients do not pay to park. I have no idea who gets revenue from game day parking but I can tell you that if the cars are on hospital property then I doubt the athletic dept. gets it. UIHC > UI Football.

They no longer validate parking for patients.

They no longer validate parking for patients.

Can you tell that I don't work in patient care? I'm surprised that they made that change considering recent concerns about public relations.... I guess that's how, in part, they pay the girls in the red coats.

Throwing the "BS" flag on this one...he has no idea what he is talking about. Maybe on gamedays the Iowa athletic Department gets revenue. But I believe the only hospital ramp that is "closed" is ramp 2 (the one with the clock on it?) and maybe the one by field house.

And if you have a pass through UI parking and transportation you can park in the ramp on gameday IF you go into work.

He is full of BS on more than that. Notre Dame is Chicago's team. There is at least one Iowa Hawkeye bar in Chicago, and I know of no Illinois bars.

The revenue thing, that is almost completely inaccurate. And yes, I'm a donor, and do a significant amount of business with the Board of Regents, and more specifically the U and the athletic department.

Not to go on, but the athletic department, and yes the football program, has to pay the university back for several services, including athletic schlorarships (sorry, I can never spell this word).

i can see where he would get confused considering that the hospital-owned parking ramps have the very misleading title of "HOSPITAL RAMP #X"

Latest posts