Food for thought

Where are the wins? Hopefully this new staff can keep up the development and improve in the win column.

2009 Iowa was 10-2, and might have been 11-0 pre-bowl had Stanzi not been hurt vs. jNWU. How is it we forget so quickly?

2010 was a disappointment, but we didn't dip to Michigan or Florida or Texas level lows, did we?

Why is it so hard to remember the successes?

Why is it so hard for us fans to realize that the guaranteed wins over jNWU and Indiana are from a by-gone era? We may hate losing to Minny and ISU, but the differece between D1 programs is razor thin and will continue to be so.

Too many good coaches. Too many good players. Winning is incredibly difficult.

Iowa, which had six players drafted, had more players drafted than:

USC (3)
Texas (3)
Ohio State (4)
Notre Dame (4)
Nebraska (4)
Michigan (3)
Texas A&M (4)
TCU (2)
Penn State (4)
Oregon (4)
Oklahoma State (4)
LSU (5)
Florida State (4)
Florida (2)
Oregon State (1)
Stanford (4)

This^ should be prominently displayed on a wall, year by year break downs with the heading:

If you want to make it to the NFL, you could do no better than beginning that journey as a HAWK

2009 Iowa was 10-2, and might have been 11-0 pre-bowl had Stanzi not been hurt vs. jNWU. How is it we forget so quickly?

2010 was a disappointment, but we didn't dip to Michigan or Florida or Texas level lows, did we?

Why is it so hard for us fans to realize that the guaranteed wins over jNWU and Indiana are from a by-gone era? We may hate losing to Minny and ISU, but the differece between D1 programs is razor thin and will continue to be so.

Could be worse.......blah blah blah.

break it down by rounds. your first few rounds are the best talent and from there on out you get a lot of role players. lets face it, Iowa produces NFL talent but the majority of these guys are just solid role players or back ups. No elite speed, no elite play making ability, just some very hard working players. Given there are exceptions but I think you guys are looking at this wrong.

Great now we are trying to say the guys from Iowa that do make the NFL are sucky.....this way we can say Kurt makes NFL talent just not good enough talent to win at the college level.

Which is it? Between Kurt suckering kids to come to little ole Iowa and sending them to the NFL youd think we could beat Minnesota.

I haven't forgotten about 2009. The problem is, you need to build on success like that instead of rolling back downhill. Losing twice in a row to a horrible Minny team should not have happened any way you cut it. Iowa putting this many players into the league also argues against "the differece between D1 programs is razor thin".

Last edited:
I haven't forgotten about 2009. The problem is, you need to build on success like that instead of rolling back downhill. Losing twice in a row to a horrible Minny team should not have happened any way you cut it. Iowa putting this many players into the league also argues against "the differece between D1 programs is razor thin".

But Ohio State lost to a horrible Purdue squad who won only one game. How did that happen? You and guys like OutofTouchHawkseem to think that reality ought to match yur prognostications and your desires. They don't adn they won't.
No amount of rambling can change the fact taht we were 10-2 in 2009 with a real chance to be undefeated had Stanzi not gone down.

Still sore about KF's millions? What is it?

But Ohio State lost to a horrible Purdue squad who won only one game. How did that happen? You and guys like OutofTouchHawkseem to think that reality ought to match yur prognostications and your desires. They don't adn they won't.
No amount of rambling can change the fact taht we were 10-2 in 2009 with a real chance to be undefeated had Stanzi not gone down.

Kurt won the Orange bowl so he is da best ever.

Huh? Are you talking about 2009? Purdue was 5-7 overall and 4-4 in the BigTen that year.

The number of players drafted is fools gold if it's not backed by the real gold:

W-I-N-S

break it down by rounds. your first few rounds are the best talent and from there on out you get a lot of role players. lets face it, Iowa produces NFL talent but the majority of these guys are just solid role players or back ups. No elite speed, no elite play making ability, just some very hard working players. Given there are exceptions but I think you guys are looking at this wrong.

Yeah but Iowa should be beating teams that aren't producing any nfl players like ISU or Minnesota.

That 09 team should have lost to UNI and Indiana, arguably the two worst teams they faced all year. They also played a pathetically close game with Arkansas state that they could have lost. And lets not forget NW 3 years in a row, a team that almost never has any nfl talent.

Thats insane to take a team with 20 future nfl players and almost lose to 3 teams with 1 or 2 nfl prospects at best.

Throughout 08-10 Iowa had an enormousness talent advantage on defense against most teams they faced but never attempted to put the pressure on.

Refusing to take any risks gets you beat in nearly any contest.

Iowas staff was great at developing talent but terrible at motivating and coaching on game day. Lets hope that has changed.

The # of players we send to the pros/# of players that get drafted out of Iowa is not going to affect the # of wins we get as much as some people seem to think it should.

Even though LSU only had 5 players drafted and Iowa had 6... LSU is clearly the more talented team. They just have more talent on their roster. Sure, we have 6 guys that got drafted, but those guys are the exception, because we had how many other guys on the team see significant playing time that didn't/most likely won't go pro?

The best players on our team were very very good and have been for a few years now. We had some of the best players in the country at certain positions, but football is a team sport. If you have even 1 weak spot... good teams/coaches will find a way to take advantage of it.

For example, if we have 4 D-linemen that are pro-level players, but weak linebackers or a weak secondary (for the most part, with the exception of maybe a couple players)... good teams will be able to counter our amazing defensive line by making quick 5 yard passes each play/attacking the weak spots.

Or if we have a weak safety behind a weak corner... Attack that side on the deep ball and 1 play can = a touchdown.

With a team like LSU... they might have less players that got drafted, but they had very few weak spots. Even if they didn't have as many/as good of players in this years draft class... they still had better players overall... a better team.

I would say there is usually quite a big gap between our best players and our weaker players that see significant time. With teams like LSU and Alabama... the gap isn't as big and that is why they are better teams. If someone gets hurt or someone is having a poor game... they can usually just plug in the next guy and not really see a huge talent gap in a lot of cases.

However, regardless, the coaching staff deserves some major props for how they are able to produce such great talent. They are great at developing players and getting them pro ready--and to be honest, I think NFL scouts/teams are well aware of this and it gives Hawkeyes an edge when going into draft day over someone equally, if not slightly more talented that played for a different team.

Heck, sometimes, I am slightly surprised by the guys that do get drafted out of Iowa and maybe it is because I didn't realize how good they actually were... or could it be because of the fact that they are from Iowa that NFL teams have an easier time giving them the nod?

I don't really know and I'd have a hard time believing that it is the latter of the two all that often, if ever, but eventually this has to start drawing in better talent as a whole in our recruiting classes.

In fact, I'm surprised we don't get 4*-5* recruits more often with the success we have had in regard to sending players to the NFL.

Is Iowa really that unappealing to recruits? I mean sure... playing in a "warm weather state" might be more appealing, but do these recruits not realize they will only be there for 4 years? If I thought I had a chance of going pro and wanted to give myself the best shot at going pro... I would be willing to sacrifice playing in warm weather for 4 years if I thought going to Iowa would give me even a slightly better chance of going pro.

And for the players that end up not going pro... I'm sure you are getting a better education at Iowa than you would be getting at most SEC schools.

I don't know, maybe I am overlooking something here. I guess I'm not really taking into account that Iowa isn't a very good "fit" for a player that is flashy and has a little bit of "cockiness" or "swagger" that a lot of these 4 and 5 star recruits often have coming out of high school. (Something that comes along with being told you are the best all of the time for most of your life.)

P.S.--- A question that popped into my head while typing this: How often and how intensely do we pursue top-level high school talent? It just makes me wonder a little bit if we aren't getting more 4-5* players because we simply don't recruit them, because we assume we wouldn't get them? (I really doubt this is the case, but just curious--I don't follow football recruiting very closely)

What CGHawk said. It's called depth, people. Teams like Ohio State and Alabama have 4 and 5 star players backing up 4 and 5 star players. The Hawks have 2 and 3 star players backing up 2 and 3 star players who have developed into NFL talent in some positions with a couple of 4 stars tossed in once in a while. The elite skill players are almost always going to the perennial powers.

I agree that the record the last two years could have been better, but I don't expect a
B1G championship caliber team every year just due to recruiting disadvantages.

Last edited:

Latest posts