Follow me on this: Use both qbs

uihawk82

Padilla came out slinging and playing well at jNW, and against Minny and Illinois and pretty well against Nebby. Petras started every game this year very slow, all or almost all.

Start Padilla and if he starts well go with him until he starts to falter then bring Petras in from the bullpen after he has watched the other teams defense and is ready to go

Padilla came out slinging and playing well at jNW, and against Minny and Illinois and pretty well against Nebby. Petras started every game this year very slow, all or almost all.

Start Padilla and if he starts well go with him until he starts to falter then bring Petras in from the bullpen after he has watched the other teams defense and is ready to go
I am assuming that if Petras does not play well, KF will pull him as quickly as he did Padilla.

I like the idea of using two qbs...harder for michigan to prepare for.

I normally don't like it, but this year at this time.... I think it may work. Both have plenty of game reps. Get creative and use both... hell... maybe on the field together.... get weird.

Not many will give Hawks a chance in this one.... throw it all at them... and play clean... who knowns.

Padilla has a 47% completion rate. So I am not sure I would say he was really playing all that knows.
True but he also had an abnormally high about of receiver drops....many of which were on the money. He also did keep multiple drives alive getting out of the pocket

Purely throwing wise "good" Petras throws a better ball and has a stronger arm.

All in all, neither is far ahead of the other, but one has a whole year and a half more reps with #1.

Pros and cons with both, can't argue with Petras win/loss record. Feels like Padilla has more upside.

But for this year...use both as needed....

Hawks are kinda playing with house money... play loose and have some fun with it.

True but he also had an abnormally high about of receiver drops....many of which were on the money.
He did have a lot of his passes dropped which hurt his numbers. Without seeing them, were they tough catches even though they were on the money? If not, are his passes tougher to catch? You hear of that with different QB's from time to time. Been thinking about this since I heard the stat last week.

Spencer will be the guy unless he stinks it up for a half especially against a top caliber team like Michigan. This game is too big for Padilla.

Padilla's longest drives did come fairly early in each game. He had trouble finishing them, coming up short either in the red zone or just before getting to the red zone. They did use his mobility effectively, either rolling him out or moving him around in the pocket. He was rarely sacked.

Petras has a lot more experience and a better arm, if he has any time to use it. No doubt, Michigan is going to bring it against Petras, the way they did against Stanley in 2019. While Petras isn't likely to totally freeze the way Stanley did, he may not have time to throw the ball with any effectiveness.

If Padilla came in, it would be because the offensive line and Petras are not effective. A lot of Padilla's plays already try to compensate for poor pass blocking. So, it wouldn't entail asking Padilla to do something much different than he has already been trying to do. Playing Padilla if pass blocking is a major issue, might be feasible.

So do you put Petras back in when you get within striking range of the goal line. They might want to consider that. They wouldn't want to put Petras in for long yardage plays, where he's likely to get sacked. Better to put him back in on a first down.

Padilla's longest drives did come fairly early in each game. He had trouble finishing them, coming up short either in the red zone or just before getting to the red zone. They did use his mobility effectively, either rolling him out or moving him around in the pocket. He was rarely sacked.

Petras has a lot more experience and a better arm, if he has any time to use it. No doubt, Michigan is going to bring it against Petras, the way they did against Stanley in 2019. While Petras isn't likely to totally freeze the way Stanley did, he may not have time to throw the ball with any effectiveness.

If Padilla came in, it would be because the offensive line and Petras are not effective. A lot of Padilla's plays already try to compensate for poor pass blocking. So, it wouldn't entail asking Padilla to do something much different than he has already been trying to do. Playing Padilla if pass blocking is a major issue, might be feasible.

So do you put Petras back in when you get within striking range of the goal line. They might want to consider that. They wouldn't want to put Petras in for long yardage plays, where he's likely to get sacked. Better to put him back in on a first down.
Good points

I am worried that Petras will still be a statue and those D ends for Michigan look brutal. We will need a couple turnovers and clean play. If they put up 42 like they did against OSU we don't stand a chance....

I think this would be a whole lot more unlikely, but letting Padilla start wouldn't be totally inconceivable. It would force Michigan's defense into plan B right off the bat. You know they are going to focus their preparation on Petras. I'd give Padilla a better than 50% chance of flipping the field or better. Play it run heavy much like they have already been using Padilla.

As I said, it's not a likely option, but Petras has consistently had problems getting things going at the start of games. It looks a lot like performance anxiety. Giving Petras the clip board for a bit at the beginning of the game might help work off some of the adrenaline. It's not like one has been a whole lot better at moving the offense than the other. Force Michigan's defense out of its A plan before they get into a rhythm.

Oh, and don't give Michigan the ball at the beginning of the game by choice. That ain't working. If spotting Michigan 7 at the beginning of the game is a big concern, stop deferring to the second half.

I think that the one that fits the game is the one to go with. Michigan has hard rushing DE's and we will need a QB that can move around in the pocket. My worry is Petras would be like a statue getting tipped over time after time like Purdue and Wisconsin.

And if you don't think the same happened when Petras was out there you are either trying to delude yourself or you really didn't watch the games.

Yes, plenty of drops and also missed throws by both qbs. Both are good to above avg (at times) qbs but they need to get more consistent toward the 70% completion rate. Petras was mid-60s% thru the first 5-6 games but neither are now. Receivers need to get more separation and catching nearly everything to them.

They are interchangeable. They bring different skill sets the results are the same. We all know what this comes down too: special teams and defense. The offense just complements those two.