Flemming/Williams

I am wondering about Fleming also. Don't even see him on the floor during clean up minutes. I can understand it in a way because compared to most players on the team he seems a step slower in the few minutes he has played. Having said that as some have stated there will be significant minutes for everyone next season.

Fran seems to be going to Brady as one of the first or second players off the bench. He must do really well in practice because he seems to make a lot of mistakes when he is on the floor. Maybe he is trying too hard and needs to calm down and learn the skill of playing within himself. Once he starts to settle down and learns this skill he will probably be fine. I

I love what the walk on Baer is doing. Nebraska had a guy inside of his shirt the whole time he was on the floor. He is starting to garner a lot of attention from our opponents. It's always fun to watch the younger players step forward and earn their playing time.

I think Ellingson may be better today as Fleming is learning from his first year of college ball but I think he is a more complete player and will surpass Brady for playing time in the years to come.

Next year while we might take a step back, will be very interesting to watch. Playing time will be up for grabs big time, the off-season jockeying for position should be intense.

IF I recall Fran was really on the fence and leaning towards redshirting Williams, but Williams really lobbied Fran and convinced him No.

We shall see if it was a wasted year.

Re Fleming. He was the first or second player off the bench in the two scrimmages if I recall, but he didn't look good IMO. Quick shots, too many turnovers.

And I am not sure what to make of Ellingson. Another JO type with lots of hype??

Really pleased with Wagner and Baer and Jones (before injury). And I was impressed with Hutton during Prime Time League. Future looks bright, but not surprised if next year is a temporary step back.

I am wondering about Fleming also. Don't even see him on the floor during clean up minutes. I can understand it in a way because compared to most players on the team he seems a step slower in the few minutes he has played. Having said that as some have stated there will be significant minutes for everyone next season.

Fran seems to be going to Brady as one of the first or second players off the bench. He must do really well in practice because he seems to make a lot of mistakes when he is on the floor. Maybe he is trying too hard and needs to calm down and learn the skill of playing within himself. Once he starts to settle down and learns this skill he will probably be fine. I

I love what the walk on Baer is doing. Nebraska had a guy inside of his shirt the whole time he was on the floor. He is starting to garner a lot of attention from our opponents. It's always fun to watch the younger players step forward and earn their playing time.
Baer has started to get noticed by the coaches around the league now. And what that'll do is just open up the floor for MG/Jok/Uthoff who ever he's on the floor with. He's such a pesky frustrating guy to play against but can't get enough of if he's on your team.

To me Fleming looks like a guy who has plenty of ability to make plays but just tried to do too much and lost Fran's trust. The last few games he's played he almost went too far the other way and did nothing. You could definitely tell he was aware of not screwing up.

They may still get some minutes this year. Our BT schedule is so front loaded with powerhouses that they haven't got much time. There will be easier games later on and I suspect, if they stay ready, they will get a chance to prove themselves.

To me Fleming looks like a guy who has plenty of ability to make plays but just tried to do too much and lost Fran's trust. The last few games he's played he almost went too far the other way and did nothing. You could definitely tell he was aware of not screwing up.

I think you're right about trying to hard and then doing a 180 , but I'm still skeptical overall mostly because his shot looks pretty rough.

I just hope I'm not sitting on the couch watching Williams in 3 years like I did Gabe Olaseni and cursing out loud that we don't have him for another season...

Wait...scratch that. On second thought, I hope he's so damn good that I AM cursing out loud that we don't have him another season...

I just hope I'm not sitting on the couch watching Williams in 3 years like I did Gabe Olaseni and cursing out loud that we don't have him for another season...

Wait...scratch that. On second thought, I hope he's so damn good that I AM cursing out loud that we don't have him another season...

These are the exact 2 thoughts that came to my mind when I first started reading this thread.

The cases are just a little different in the aspect that Christian will probably be handed the keys to the offense to start his second year while Gabe was coming off the bench. Either way it certainly seems like a wasted year of eligibility. Perhaps Fran will get Christian some valuable minutes during the second half of conference play when the competition is a bit weaker. One can at least hope that is the case.

I'm not suggesting Fran do anything differently. I'm not about to offer a solution because I don't have one. Just an observation I noticed last night.

What's most troubling to me is that Williams right now is your only PG on the roster that returns next year. He'll be a soph with zero significant minutes. Clemmons and Gesell are lighting it up as seniors in part because they played significant minutes all 4 years.

Williams was not going to see significant minutes with our schedule, barring injury to AC or MG. Which is also why we could not redshirt CW. We need him incase either of the previous two goes down.

Williams got to see some time, albeit not a lot. But it was something "live". His job this year was to see a little action & get his feet wet for next year. That and run the scout team. He will have some film to review...

It is some experience. Going up against Clemmons in practice everyday is going to be something. You are being guarded by one tough defender. That and you have to defend MG & AC in practice. Everyday. That has to account for experience far beyond high school.

So, he won't exactly be untested. He has the skills. If he has the vision, if he has the court & game awareness, he will offer something to us next year. Plus running the scout team daily, he will be very familiar with 2 players that will be relied on heavily in our rotation next season - Moss & Hutton. :)

Latest posts