Five-way tie? Funny scenario I'll share with you

2facedboonefan

I'll admit up front to you that I'm a Cyclone fan, but I'm also a HUGE college football fan. I was looking at the Big Ten race, and I found a funny, fairly realistic scenario where Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Michigan could all end up tied at 6-2 and Iowa would go to the Rose Bowl.

I know what you're thinking, but stay with me here. I've thought all season long that Michigan State is going to go 10-2 with losses at Iowa and at Penn State. I still believe that. I also think Ohio State will beat the Hawks.

But here's where it gets interesting. If Michigan beats Penn State this week (and they're currently the favorite), their next two games are against Illinois and Purdue. Illinois is a decent team, but Michigan should beat them in Ann Arbor. Purdue is a fake 4-3. The Wolverines will likely be favored in both of those games. Then Wisconsin comes to town. Remember, the Badgers haven't won in Ann Arbor since 1994.

At that point, if Michigan gets past Wisconsin, the Wolverines are 9-2 and Denard Robinson is probably back in the Heisman race when they head to Columbus. Get a Michigan upset of Ohio State in that game and what do you get...a five-way tie!

Now how do we sort this out. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan would be 2-2 against the other tied teams, Michigan State would be 2-1, and Ohio State would be 1-2. As I understand the rule, you would throw out Ohio State and go to the four-team tiebreaker. Among those teams, Iowa and Michigan State would be 2-1, while Wisconsin and Michigan would be 1-2. Throw out the Badgers and Wolverines, go to the two team tiebreaker, and Iowa wins due to the head to head victory.

I could be wrong about how the tiebreaker works, but just a funny, somewhat possible scenario to think about. If it actually happens, just remember who brought up the possibility first.:)

It would be a fitting end to the years of having no conference championship game in the Big Ten. However, I am not sure how the tiebreaker system works either.

If only that were true...but it won't happen, because Michigan will find a way to lose, and that all hinges on us getting our act together against Sparty.

I have to admit I love total chaos. Now Iowa is out of the NC race - other than what helps the Hawks get the best bowl game possible (which is still the Rose), I am cheering for whatever screws everything up. Boise State and TCU undefeated, a two loss SEC team, and Oregon losing.

I remember about 99 or 2000 when I think 6 teams lost in the last two weeks where all they had to do was win and be in the NC game. I am not a big playoff fan, but a small 8 team playoff would be great. Maybe if we have a NC game with TCU and Boise the BCS conferences will have to have a playoff.

The only way Iowa goes to the rose bowl is if they win outright or finish tied with someone they beat. Overall record is the second tie breaker so if it gets to that Iowa won't get the nod.

The rules are not designed to cover a 5-way tie. While the rules SAY they can be applied "f four or more teams tie for the championship," the way the rules are applied makes it impossible to determine a winner if an odd number of teams are tied unless one of the teams beats all of the others in the tie-break.

For example, the second tie-break is: "If two of the four teams defeated each of the other two teams, the latter two teams shall be eliminated, and the two remaining teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure." Great if there are four teams--but what about five? Should it be "two of the five teams defeated each of the other three" or "three of the five teams defeated each of the other two"? Same problem with the third tie-break.

Huh, very interesting scenario to think about! While a lot of crazy things need to happen for this, it would be fitting for the final season with no championship game.

Latest posts