Five in a row

BigD

I am not much for superstition but why rock the boat and not mention the fifth win in a row. Now comes number six and it’s going to be a toughy. Win this next game and who knows just how long this streak will go.

The next four games will define Iowa's season. They host Michigan and Michigan State, and travel to Indiana and Minnesota. Two games against the top 2 teams in the conference and two road games at two venues that have been houses of horror for Iowa historically. Split those games and things are still looking up. Any less than that doesn't mean a bad season but it would represent a missed opportunity to make this season something special. They haven't had a big win since winning the 2k classic...two months ago. If they want to be more than an 8 or 9 seed then splitting these 4 games (including beating Mich or MSU) would go a long way towards getting Iowa back on the minds of the tournament committee.

The next four games will define Iowa's season. They host Michigan and Michigan State, and travel to Indiana and Minnesota. Two games against the top 2 teams in the conference and two road games at two venues that have been houses of horror for Iowa historically. Split those games and things are still looking up. Any less than that doesn't mean a bad season but it would represent a missed opportunity to make this season something special. They haven't had a big win since winning the 2k classic...two months ago. If they want to be more than an 8 or 9 seed then splitting these 4 games (including beating Mich or MSU) would go a long way towards getting Iowa back on the minds of the tournament committee.

I'd take a split of these next 4 games in a heartbeat. My biggest fear is dropping all 4.

I think a lot will depend on how they play Thursday against MSU. Win or at least be uber competitive and I think there's a real shot at a split. Get blown out at home and, given the psyche of Fran's teams of the past, it could easily devolve into 4 Ls in a row, and maybe more....

All 4 would be nice. I'd take one home win and one road win. Any wins out of the next 4 are solid.

I still have fear lurking in the back of my mind. Last year really created trust issues with me when it comes to the basketball team. Get to 20 wins and maybe I'll relax a bit. Enjoying the ride so far this year though.

I attribute the current hot streak to the karma blow back from Alf finally getting what he deserves, getting fired after escaping that fate at Iowa all those years ago.

Rob Howe's power ranking today was interesting. Here is what I would add.

Iowa's Remaining Schedule: We play 2 tier 1 teams; 3 tier 2 teams; 4 tier 3 teams; 3 tier 4 teams.
Home = 6 games Away = 6 games

If we win one out of the next four, we only have to win 4 more games to be seriously considered for TheDance. We should win at Minny. There are usually a lot of Hawk fans at the game, and we certainly owe them for that loss 2 years ago when the zebra blew it and gave a hard-fought game away.....

This team is one of the best in modern Hawkeye History. They are really fun to watch and the improvement from last season is astronomical. The team concept is very good. They help out on a swarming defense. The turnaround on D was highly unlikely and is the biggest surprise of the season.....

JoeW's play is not exactly a surprise but he has exceeded all expectations. His D is perhaps the best on the team. He anticipates and is always in the right spot, keeping his man in front of him and denying a path to the basket. Joe has turned the corner and is very comfortable on D. He, Tyler and Garza are the goto guys on offense and all are difficult to stop.....

Everyone has stepped up this season. Isaiah has found his potential and exceeded everyone's assumptions. He plays a solid floor game that is practically unnoticed. He is so smooth and effortless while getting the job done. Nobody challenges him on D and he has always had the ability to make that three, even his first year in the loss in the NIT by 2 points in OT, which we could and should have won.....

Connor and Bo are the captains of the team and run the show extremely well. It has been a while coming, but Jordan is Back with a vengeance, even though is he underappreciated for his play at the point. Connor's play is a essential element to the success of the team this season.....

Baer is back also and his senior leadership and ability on offense and defense have been the mainstay of the team this season. He will be missed next season.....

And Ryan Kriener, the overlooked and maligned Hawk on the team has performed as I expected. He is a savvy player who gives all to the team every time. He is a strong presence in the paint, and was a key to the victories at the Garden and State College would have been a loss without him.....

Maryland is the team I am most apprehensive about. We should win every game at home but TheSpartans, Wolverines, and Terps will be stiff challenges......

One game at a time. Win at Minny which is very possible and hold home court against all comers and we will be dancing in the streets.....

:cool:

Last edited:

Iowa's Remaining Schedule: We play 2 tier 1 teams; 3 tier 2 teams; 4 tier 3 teams; 3 tier 4 teams.

Win 1 of the 2 Tier 1 games
Win 1 of the 3 Tier 2 games
Win 3 of the Tier 3 games
Win 2 of the Tier 4 games

That's 7-5 to close out the year, 12-8 in conference, and 23-8 overall heading into the BTT. Go 1-1 in the BTT and that's 24-9. I'd say that should be about a 6 seed. Not enough to get to DSM this year, but good enough to have a puncher's chance to make the 2nd weekend.

But as I said earlier, I think so much of it is going to come down to Thursday. Get blown out and the psyche of the team is "We're just a paper tiger". Win it or play it down to the wire and it injects a ton of confidence going into the remaining games.

To get to 10 wins we need all 3 tier 4 teams and split the tier 3 teams. Seems really doable when put that way.

If we go 1-3 in the next 4, I won’t be too surprised or pissed actually. We are still fine if we are sitting at 6-6 after the first 12 B1G games.

If we go 2-2, I would be pretty happy with that. If we go 3-1 That would be amazing. I really don’t see Iowa going 0-4 or 4-0 in the next 4 games,

Last edited:
12 games left
8 in Quad 1
2 each in Quad 2 & 3.
Just win one by one baby.

On a side note- UNI on verge of being a 4. Not a lot of Jacobsen glory chatter on here again this year - they are a chuck and duck special this year.

I'd take a split of these next 4 games in a heartbeat. My biggest fear is dropping all 4.
What concerns me is seeing teams with similiar talent to us, like Ohio State, Indiana and Wisconsin, hit the skids for three or four games when they hit tough parts of their schedules.

What comforts me is seeing a team on the floor that rivals the Uthoff group in terms of experience but far surpasses them in toughness and clutch genes. Wiescamp is rapidly developing into a minimum second team all conference player. He combines athletic and shooting ability with strong instincts and high basketball IQ. We would really have to face plant to lose four in a row, regardless of what is coming up.

I brought up Sam Dekker as a Wiescamp comp. I came up with another one. Luke Recker. But Wiescamp is going to be a better player than Recker before his collegiate career is over.

Next four games....

4-0: Wow!
3-1: Great!
2-2: Solid
1-3: Darn
0-4: Yikes!

4-0 and start buying your tickets for the regional in Des Moines.
0-4 start preparing yourself for the NIT.

In between it gets murky. 3-1 and we're probably dancing. 2-2 we're 60/40 dancing. 1-3 we're headed for the bubble.

Latest posts