first time meeting a hawkeye

The Mens Basketball team used to barnstorm the state playing at high schools to promote the uncoming season(until the NCAA determined it wasnt a good thing to do and banned it), so, in 1977 I was the host for the team at my high school (my sophomore year). I met everyone, including Lute. I spoke with most everyone(Oolsthorn wasnt my fav), mostly Lester(not by intention, we just hit it off), and a fair amount with Greg Boyle(who wearing this HUGE foot to hip brace), and some of the others, most were pretty cool. I briefly chatted with Lute, who was quite nice. It was a fun night.

I guess I have met a good number of Hawks over the years.

I remember those days--they came to Turkey Valley HS and Valley of Elgin. Packed out the gyms. I think it was like a senior tour or something? They auctioned off their t-shirts for charity, or something, and I remember some dude paid $100 for Kent McCausland's sweaty t-shirt. :) :confused:

Fran should do these kind of traveling road-shows. It would be great to get Hawkeye basketball back in the psyche of Iowans.

Those senior games were the best ever. They came to Centerville all the time to play against our coaches. To actually see people dunk was unreal.

Lute Olson was the guest speaker of our Hampton High School boys basketball banquet at the Gold Key, March of 1975. I got his autograph.

August of 1979, I was registering for classes at Iowa (it was an all manual process in the gym/track next to Kinnick) and met Reggie Roby. Told him good luck. No autograph. 6'3" and about 240 was rather impressive for a punter.

Actually, this was the whole team, coaches, trainers, managers and all, it was a tour done annually until stopped by the NCAA in the 1980s. The senior tour was much different.

Greg Stokes - I asked him for an autograph and he declined and said he wasn't signing any. Disappointed I walked away and then turned around to see him signing an autograph for a hot, young blond. To say the least I was a disappointed 13 yr old.

I met Chuck Long in 1985 at an Iowa basketball game. It must have been early in the 85-86 basketball season and just prior to the Heisman Trophy Awards ceremony. My dad pointed him out and I walked up, shook his hand and got him to sign a pennant. I was 8 years old and that pennant hung on my wall for many years.

Side note: 85-86 was George Ravelings last year as head coach. There 85-86 roster:
B.J. Armstrong
Andre Banks
Bart Casey
Kevin Gamble
Kent Hill
Ed Horton
Bill Jones
Brad Lohaus
Al Lorenzen
Roy Marble
Jeff Moe
Michael Morgan
Michael Reaves
Gerry Wright

Dean Oliver and Ricky Davis' room was directly above mine in Quad freshman year. My first communication with Ricky was him asking me to bum him a smoke. What a mooch. :)

Got my picture taken with Brandon Myers, at a little Ice Cream shop, in Prairie City. This was just over a year ago. Was just before Training camp.

I also met and got a picture with Adrian Clayborn Saturday at the Jones Cty. Fair. We watched the same Lion and Tiger show. He also assured me they're going to the Rose Bowl this year.

Very nice and humble guy. He was with his momma, she was very nice also.

I was eight. Met Dan Gable at the Kalona Fall Festival. I will never forget it. He was intense, yet patient with all the attention around him.

Met James Winters about 7 years ago at his house.. My brother and his girlfriend at the time used to always babysit his kids so I went with them once to his house and met him...

A bunch of bball players in the 80's when they used to do little barnstorming tours around the state... Kent Hill and Eddie Horton stick out... one of the two went Darryl Dawkins on the backboard, glass went everywhere, it was pretty fricken sweet.

In 2008, I was waiting in line to get into the piano bar SHOUT in Minneapolis after the Hawkeye Huddle and the team walked by as they were heading outside to their buses.

Todd Berkenpass was the first Hawkeye I ever met.

In 2008, I was waiting in line to get into the piano bar SHOUT in Minneapolis after the Hawkeye Huddle and the team walked by as they were heading outside to their buses.

Todd Berkenpass was the first Hawkeye I ever met.

Ohhh thats right, I forgot about him. I met him when I was a kid at a football game.

Besides guys on the high school touring games, my first time to meet a Hawkeye was Willie Guy in a high school friends dorm room in Slater I think? There was a girl from our high school with that just kept pestering him about his ACT score until he told her. She then blurted out, "You really have to try to get a score that low don't you?!" The guys in the room just sat here with our mouths open at her audacity. I mean it was pretty low but this was Willie Guy.

Later I got to do some rhetoric projects with Kenyon Murray who was very cool. I remember working on one project in the Main Library with him and another woman from our class and sharing high school glory days. Mine was scoring 6 points in a varsity b-ball game only to be pulled out so the starters could be put back in, hers was winning an Illinois State Title in field hockey (i didn't know that was a sport at the time), Kenyon's was being Michigan Mr. Basketball. That got a laugh from us all.

I shot baskets with BJ at my neighbor's house...to this day I have no idea why he was there, but my friend called me up and said come over and shoot hoops with me and BJ, I called his bluff, but sure enough...there we were.

My first was actually Hayden Fry when he came to my house to recruit my older brother. I was 10. I'll never forget two things: The big Texan was wearing some awesome cowboy boots that had both a Tigerhawk and a rose on them - and when my mom asked: "Hayden, do you want something to drink?" he answered: "Well shoot...I'll have something to wet my whistler."

I met Royce Alger at a wrestling camp back in '88, saw him lift and work out very intense, got to sit down with him for a bit at chow time and got a free autographed poster, great experience.

Latest posts