first time meeting a hawkeye

bjreed16

i was at the local county fair this weekend and AC walked by. It was the first time i met a hawkeye so i had to shake his hand and wish him good luck this yr. Just wondering when and where was everyone else's first encounter was

I met A Rob in the mens room at the Hotel the team stayed at in Miami last year. Fountaine Blue. He was cool. We both sanitized and shook hands.

I think the first Hawkeye I met was Brad Lohaus. My sister was friends with him while going to school there and we ran into him at the Old Capitol Mall (when it was a mall). I just remember wide eyed staring at his feet and alllllll the way up to his head...he was really tall to me back then.

I'm not sure what order actually, but with my sister living in Slater she was friends with a lot of Hawks....ummm, yea....I'm pretty sure just friends (although she was dating Jeff Moe for a while). Chuck Long, Todd Berkenpas, Waymond King, Bobby Hansen, Kenny Arnold.

And the Head Hawk himself, Hayden, is a family friend.

bjreed, I also saw AC at the Jones County Fair this weekend. Took a picture with him and wished him luck this year. Really nice kid. The flooding at the fair this year was insane!!

Kenny Arnold, Steve Carfino and several Iowa hoopsters in early Dec 1980 on a plane to California. I was nine.

bjreed, I also saw AC at the Jones County Fair this weekend. Took a picture with him and wished him luck this year. Really nice kid. The flooding at the fair this year was insane!!

the flooding was crazy, and yea i did the same he seemed really nice a soft spoken, and it was good to see him drinkinga fruit smoothie instead of a barley smoothie, lol

The first Hawkeyes I met were Greg Stokes and Michael Payne when I was in 4th grade. They came to visit our class. I still have the basketball they signed for me somewhere.

BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble and Ed Horton in Carroll, Iowa after all 3 had graduated. All 3 players went to different towns across Iowa playing a basketball game for Charity. Iowa basketball players did this several times in the 80's and 90's after they graduated.

first hawk i meet was bruce nelson since he is from my home town then it was greenway and i saw adam huluska in the sioux falls mall in 06

Can't remember who the first one was. I lived in Rienow and Quad (worked at the Quad desk), so I saw lots of them, especially basketball players. I was in classes with some of them, and they all were good, friendly guys.

But every Hawkeye I have met has been a LOT taller and bigger in person than they looked on TV. Of course, I'm 5'8" and 155lbs, so just about everybody looks tall to me. Just sayin'.

The Mens Basketball team used to barnstorm the state playing at high schools to promote the uncoming season(until the NCAA determined it wasnt a good thing to do and banned it), so, in 1977 I was the host for the team at my high school (my sophomore year). I met everyone, including Lute. I spoke with most everyone(Oolsthorn wasnt my fav), mostly Lester(not by intention, we just hit it off), and a fair amount with Greg Boyle(who wearing this HUGE foot to hip brace), and some of the others, most were pretty cool. I briefly chatted with Lute, who was quite nice. It was a fun night.

I guess I have met a good number of Hawks over the years.

As a kid I got stuck climbing on a BBall hoop in the old fieldhouse...got helped down by Michael Payne and Greg Stokes.

Latest posts