First Look: My Initial Iowa MBB Player Thoughts

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
First Look: Iowa Basketball | Hawkeye Nation

Here are my player ‘evaluations’ from watching the opening game, with some general comments after. I use the term evaluation loosely, as it’s the first game of the year in a new system and without their best player as Matt Gatens sat this one out.

Eric May: This kid has quite a ceiling. Higher than Gatens, in the Haluska mold but more explosive than Adam was on the drive. He isn’t yet the smooth shooter Haluska grew into, but he’d start for several Big Ten teams right now or at worst be in a top seven rotation. Really excited for his future; he and Gatens will really compliment each other well this year. Gatens will see far more open looks because of May’s abilities, along with Gatens’ new trimmed down physique. May will be a 1,500 point scorer at Iowa.

Cully Payne: He just looked uptight to me…back to back traveling calls with shaky footwork. This will be an anomaly for him, regardless of the opponent. In fact it looked like several players were just trying to hard on Sunday. I can’t fault them for that. They were probably excited to show Iowa fans that this isn’t the same old same old.

Jarryd Cole: Is what he is at this point; big body, works hard, not great balance at the rim but a good guy in the paint, average offensive game. He scored 17 (7 from the foul line) and could have had 25 if he would have gotten the short stuff to fall, but we have seen that before and he is a senior now. Some players just don’t have that knack around the basket. It’s not a sin, is is a solid player and I am glad he is on Iowa but he’s not going to be a big time scorer unless he can convert the close looks with contact.

Melsahn Basabe: I see tremendous upside in this kid. Already knows how to rebound and that will improve…however quite unrefined on the offensive end, and that’s going to take an out of season to get in line. He’s a true freshman, so that can come with the territory. Kids with his rebounding ability and body that have a refined offensive game go to Kansas. Iowa is getting a talented player and betting on the come…it looks like he has the foundation to get there…the work will come next April through October; it’s real tough to build an offensive game in season…sort of like trying to change your golf swing on the course. That happens on the driving range.

Zach McCabe: He can play three positions for you on the floor and can even dribble the ball well. He can shoot the long ball and has the makings of a solid dribble drive game. He also looked a bit tight, but it’s to be expected in his first career game. When I think of the 2011-2012 Iowa season, which is next year, I really get excited thinking about McCabe, May and Gatens on the floor at the same time in some sets. These guys are a solid core to build on for the future, as all three will be dangerous jump shooters a year from now; Gatens and May already are.

Andrew Brommer: I realize he is listed as a junior, but you might as well call him a freshman, playing wise. He showed a lack of court awareness today, which is understandable given how Lickliter used him…or didn’t use him. He showed some raw post skills on Sunday night, and he was just trying too hard. He reminds me a bit of a young Alex Thompson, or really Alex’s entire career, in that he just goes through things very fast and gets out of control and out of balance. However, McCaffery is going to use Brommer a lot more than Lickliter did and I think Brommer has a chance to improve exponentially as this season goes along as he gains confidence and plays in long stretches.

Devyn Marble: Improving his quickness will be the work he’ll have to put in this next out of season. He has the makings of a good floor game and is long enough to be active on the glass and disruptive in the passing lanes. Of course, he’ll need to work in the weight room, too. Foot quickness is something that can be improved upon and once he gets there, he’ll have more success on the dribble drive. I think right now, his first step isn’t going to get past many players in the Big Ten. But, he’s a freshman and it’s not a crime.

Bryce Cartwright: Like Payne and several of his teammates, Cartwright looked wound tight tonight. He is quick and he was a must get for McCaffery to have another point guard in the program. It’s hard to draw any conclusions on anything after the first game, but especially so based on what I saw of Cartwright and Payne. We’ll need several more games to get a feel for what he can bring.

Iowa had 14 turnovers in the first half and looked like a team trying too hard and therefore played real uptight. Of course, no one wanted to see a loss, the second straight year Iowa opened it’s season with a loss to a lightly regarded team.

But we knew this season was going to be long, however watching the game was more enjoyable for me than most games last year because Iowa is going to play a style I have spent most of my life watching Iowa teams play.

This team is young and they are going to play uptight at times, but they are also going to be fun to watch and win more than they did a year ago. They probably won’t finish above .500, but this year is about establishing a foundation on which to build for the future.

Had Gatens played in this game, I doubt Iowa would have lost. He didn’t, and they did.

I am far more interested in watching these players develop this year than I am fretting over wins and losses in a year where there is little chance of a post season. This is the year where the heavy lifting takes place. No pain, no gain.
So expect some pain…and down the road they’ll reap the rewards.

I would have liked to see us win the home opener. I am still optimistic about the change in direction we will see out of the b-ball program but was honestly a little discouraged in what I saw on the court today.

My take on the team is that the guys on the court had a look of being able to fit in down the road. Unlike the previous regime. We will be putting a lot of underclassmen on the court this year, again. I hope they stick around and grow into a quality team.

We knew that 7 months ago.

How many years in a row have we said, "It's going to be a looooong season?? I love Hawkeye Football. But man, I really, really wish we could actually enjoy Hawkeye Basketball again. Winters go by so much quicker when Iowa is winning in basketball but it seems like a very, very long time ago since Iowa was winning in Basketball. I am 31 years old and I have never witnessed a Big 10 regular season championship in basketball or a Final Four.

First Look: Iowa Basketball | Hawkeye Nation

Here are my player ‘evaluations’ from watching the opening game, with some general comments after. I use the term evaluation loosely, as it’s the first game of the year in a new system and without their best player as Matt Gatens sat this one out.

Eric May: This kid has quite a ceiling. Higher than Gatens, in the Haluska mold but more explosive than Adam was on the drive. He isn’t yet the smooth shooter Haluska grew into, but he’d start for several Big Ten teams right now or at worst be in a top seven rotation. Really excited for his future; he and Gatens will really compliment each other well this year. Gatens will see far more open looks because of May’s abilities, along with Gatens’ new trimmed down physique. May will be a 1,500 point scorer at Iowa.

Cully Payne: He just looked uptight to me…back to back traveling calls with shaky footwork. This will be an anomaly for him, regardless of the opponent. In fact it looked like several players were just trying to hard on Sunday. I can’t fault them for that. They were probably excited to show Iowa fans that this isn’t the same old same old.

Jarryd Cole: Is what he is at this point; big body, works hard, not great balance at the rim but a good guy in the paint, average offensive game. He scored 17 (7 from the foul line) and could have had 25 if he would have gotten the short stuff to fall, but we have seen that before and he is a senior now. Some players just don’t have that knack around the basket. It’s not a sin, is is a solid player and I am glad he is on Iowa but he’s not going to be a big time scorer unless he can convert the close looks with contact.

Melsahn Basabe: I see tremendous upside in this kid. Already knows how to rebound and that will improve…however quite unrefined on the offensive end, and that’s going to take an out of season to get in line. He’s a true freshman, so that can come with the territory. Kids with his rebounding ability and body that have a refined offensive game go to Kansas. Iowa is getting a talented player and betting on the come…it looks like he has the foundation to get there…the work will come next April through October; it’s real tough to build an offensive game in season…sort of like trying to change your golf swing on the course. That happens on the driving range.

Zach McCabe: He can play three positions for you on the floor and can even dribble the ball well. He can shoot the long ball and has the makings of a solid dribble drive game. He also looked a bit tight, but it’s to be expected in his first career game. When I think of the 2011-2012 Iowa season, which is next year, I really get excited thinking about McCabe, May and Gatens on the floor at the same time in some sets. These guys are a solid core to build on for the future, as all three will be dangerous jump shooters a year from now; Gatens and May already are.

Andrew Brommer: I realize he is listed as a junior, but you might as well call him a freshman, playing wise. He showed a lack of court awareness today, which is understandable given how Lickliter used him…or didn’t use him. He showed some raw post skills on Sunday night, and he was just trying too hard. He reminds me a bit of a young Alex Thompson, or really Alex’s entire career, in that he just goes through things very fast and gets out of control and out of balance. However, McCaffery is going to use Brommer a lot more than Lickliter did and I think Brommer has a chance to improve exponentially as this season goes along as he gains confidence and plays in long stretches.

Devyn Marble: Improving his quickness will be the work he’ll have to put in this next out of season. He has the makings of a good floor game and is long enough to be active on the glass and disruptive in the passing lanes. Of course, he’ll need to work in the weight room, too. Foot quickness is something that can be improved upon and once he gets there, he’ll have more success on the dribble drive. I think right now, his first step isn’t going to get past many players in the Big Ten. But, he’s a freshman and it’s not a crime.

Bryce Cartwright: Like Payne and several of his teammates, Cartwright looked wound tight tonight. He is quick and he was a must get for McCaffery to have another point guard in the program. It’s hard to draw any conclusions on anything after the first game, but especially so based on what I saw of Cartwright and Payne. We’ll need several more games to get a feel for what he can bring.

Iowa had 14 turnovers in the first half and looked like a team trying too hard and therefore played real uptight. Of course, no one wanted to see a loss, the second straight year Iowa opened it’s season with a loss to a lightly regarded team.

But we knew this season was going to be long, however watching the game was more enjoyable for me than most games last year because Iowa is going to play a style I have spent most of my life watching Iowa teams play.

This team is young and they are going to play uptight at times, but they are also going to be fun to watch and win more than they did a year ago. They probably won’t finish above .500, but this year is about establishing a foundation on which to build for the future.

Had Gatens played in this game, I doubt Iowa would have lost. He didn’t, and they did.

I am far more interested in watching these players develop this year than I am fretting over wins and losses in a year where there is little chance of a post season. This is the year where the heavy lifting takes place. No pain, no gain.
So expect some pain…and down the road they’ll reap the rewards.

Tough weekend for Hawkeye fans, but I really appreciate your positive views on the future of Hawkeye Hoops, things will get better unfortunately not as fast as most fans want.

Tough weekend for Hawkeye fans, but I really appreciate your positive views on the future of Hawkeye Hoops, things will get better unfortunately not as fast as most fans want.

I'm a Vikings fan too so personally it's been a lousy weekend and a season full of crushed expectations for that matter.

But regarding this season and the future of Hawkeye Bball- I know it's gonna be a tough season but it would have been nice to win the opener. I think and hope we have the right coach or else we will be rebuilding again in 4 years.

On a positive note, it was nice to hear Kenyon calling the game again.

Scheme wise
I liked how we tried to attack the basket. We just need to do a better job of finishing. Like I have said in other threads, we need a true center player recruited for this team.

I use Tom Davis as the bench mark to a certain degree in terms of being more uptempo and the half court schemes he used. I have to see more of Fran's system as things progress. His half court schemes appear to be more motion based compared to Davis's modified flex schemes (which I really liked). I just got to see more. I also wonder if Fran will ever extend press looks under the basket and not just 3/4 court when it makes sense to do these things.

Defensively
We used some zone, but had to go into the man to man because of the jackrabbit three point shooting. It really did not seem to matter though as they kept hitting and we did not close out on shooters.

Personal Wise
Just a lot of youth, some players that are not maybe Big Ten level....at least yet, and we are down Gatens. Our guard play needs to get much better. We need to upgrade our talent their as well.

All in all, I feel better with Fran running the show and I look forward to seeing this program progress.

Last edited:
How many years in a row have we said, "It's going to be a looooong season?? I love Hawkeye Football. But man, I really, really wish we could actually enjoy Hawkeye Basketball again. Winters go by so much quicker when Iowa is winning in basketball but it seems like a very, very long time ago since Iowa was winning in Basketball. I am 31 years old and I have never witnessed a Big 10 regular season championship in basketball or a Final Four.

I totally understand the frustration level, but fans are going to have to be patient. What Fran is dealing with right now is trying to fit some round pegs in square holes. Not all these guys are made for the uptempo system. It would be the equivalent of Michigan football firing Rodriguez and bringing in a pro style set coach. The transition will take awhile, but the reward will eventually come with Fran.

Thank you for the optimistic post. I'm rather excited to watch these kids grow. After listening to Coach McCaffrey's interview with Bobby Hansen, I feel more confident that this is the right man for the job. You can tell there's a great desire to win, but an even greater desire to do it patiently. We have to remember that you can't take the elevator to the top, you're going to have to take it one step at a time, and I have a good feeling this coach is the one to lead the way.

I liked the overall offensive concept of motion with dribble drive principles of drawing defeneders and then hitting the open man.

What we saw a lot of today was dumping the ball into the post and letting the post man go one-on-one. I fear that we don't have the horses to do that once conference play rolls around. Nothing against the guys in the program, it's just the players that Fran and company were dealt.

I'm excited about the future of the program. It's going in the right direction with a bright future in the three freshmen who played today.

Scheme wise
I liked how we tried to attack the basket. We just need to do a better job of finishing. Like I have said in other threads, we need a true center player recruited for this team.

I use Tom Davis as the bench mark to a certain degree in terms of being more uptempo and the half court schemes he used. I have to see more of Fran's system as things progress. His half court schemes appear to be more motion based compared to Davis's modified flex schemes (which I really liked). I just got to see more. I also wonder if Fran will ever extend press looks under the basket and not just 3/4 court when it makes sense to do these things.

Defensively
We used some zone, but had to go into the man to man because of the jackrabbit three point shooting. It really did not seem to matter though as they kept hitting and we did not close out on shooters.

Personal Wise
Just a lot of youth, some players that are not maybe Big Ten level....at least yet, and we are down Gatens. Our guard play needs to get much better. We need to upgrade our talent their as well.

All in all, I feel better with Fran running the show and I look forward to seeing this program progress.

I also liked how Iowa attacked the basket and pounded the ball down low; we just don't have the horses down there to score efficiently. Cole has never really developed much of an offensive skill set with his back to the basket. Brommer just doesn't seem to have the coordination or court awareness when he is down low. Basabe was in his first game so I'm hoping it was just nerves and he will settle down.

If these guys can't score at will against SDSU, what is going to happen when they play some of the more physical teams on their schedule? We are going to get worked in the paint.

Not having Gatens really hurt, especially considering Payne and Cartwright did nothing to step up in his place. I thought Cully would thrive in this new style of play, but he looked more hesitant than last year.

Hopefully it's first game jitters and things will get better!

I was very excited to be at Carver today and considering the turnout, I wasn't the only one. I didn't hear them announce the attendance, but the box score on ESPN says 11,700. I though Carver was around 2/3 to 3/4 full, so that seems about right. Haven't seen that many people there in a long time.

It was disappointing to see us not get a win today, but its no secret that we'll struggle this year. But unlike the Lick era, I don't think we'll still be saying "wait until next year" 2 years from now. Iowa will get better and will at least be competitive in the meantime.

With that said, I think the most disappointing thing I experienced today was the conversation I heard between a father and son walking behind me heading into the game.

Son: "Dad, if Iowa goes to the Motor City Bowl, we should definitely go watch!"

Father: "Yes, that would be fun to do over Christmas vacation! And there are direct flights to Detroit, too!"

Oh how hopes have faded so fast....:confused:

I would be a lot more optimistic about the future if Iowa didn't currently have one of the worst recruiting classes in the Big Ten right now. It would be one thing if there were only 2 or so scholarships out there to give but this needed to be a big class for Fran.

As for this season, I still don't think it will be as bad as people are assuming. It is a big deal to not have Gatens out there because he brings the three point shot which is sorely lacking without him. I think the Gatens/May combo will be very good in this system and they will just need a little time. May is going to be 2nd team all conference or so before his time is done here.

To watch this O run, its looks custom made for a hot PG, one that controls the flow, creates and scores, plus a post player would have to be thrilled to see all the post feeds today, it appeared to have more in one game than a season under Lickliter. This team is definitely a foundation laying one, it will be fun to watch them grow into the system, their abilities and roles in it, and develop individually.

I would be a lot more optimistic about the future if Iowa didn't currently have one of the worst recruiting classes in the Big Ten right now. It would be one thing if there were only 2 or so scholarships out there to give but this needed to be a big class for Fran.

As for this season, I still don't think it will be as bad as people are assuming. It is a big deal to not have Gatens out there because he brings the three point shot which is sorely lacking without him. I think the Gatens/May combo will be very good in this system and they will just need a little time. May is going to be 2nd team all conference or so before his time is done here.

I agree about the recruiting. FM needs to find a couple of gems in the Spring. It might be worth taking a flyer on a questionable guy. Everyone talks about the post needs and they are HUGE! But Iowa also needs someone who can beat their guy off the dribble and make their own shot. Basically, someone who can break down the defense.

Gatens is not that guy. May, like Haluska, is better moving without the ball.

Best hope for Iowa is to get two guys to play an inside out game and have the other guys develop as support players. It would also help to move some players and get some scholarships back.

Latest posts