First game surprises

Very surprised they put Goodson, almost exclusively fir the long 4th quarter drive. The game wasn’t really over yet up by 10. I think it means we’ll see a lot of him this year and he must be very talented.

Yeah, where have I read this before??? :rolleyes:

He came in late. Was in there in a 2rb shotgun look with Goodsen and served as a lead blocker. Would be cool to see more of that look, as IKM and Goodson out of the backfield creates mismatches.

But yeah, he's apparently been passed by Goodson, won't likely see much action unless a couple people get hurt, and I would not be surprised to see him follow Geil out the door next Spring.

Good catch. Hate to see him go, with Sargeant and Young the clear rotation for another year with Goodson right behind he may want to play.

On a related note, we haven't seen this kind quality depth at "skill" positions in years.

Very surprised they put Goodson, almost exclusively fir the long 4th quarter drive. The game wasn’t really over yet up by 10. I think it means we’ll see a lot of him this year and he must be very talented.

On the last play of the game he was one step away from taking it to the house. He knew too as he was very frustrated that he didn’t break that arm tackle. A little doylization should put him in a very exclusive Hawkeye group.

I said the same thing about GREEN when he was a freshman. If Goodson can avoid injuries he could be very special.

Good catch. Hate to see him go, with Sargeant and Young the clear rotation for another year with Goodson right behind he may want to play.

On a related note, we haven't seen this kind quality depth at "skill" positions in years.

Years? In 2015 Our RBs were Daniels, Canzeri, Wadley and D Mitchell. We literally had no drop off from one to the next.

Surprise? The # of offensive linemen who played during the game, and I don't mean garbage time. I've been attending Iowa games for 30+ years, and I've never seen a game when so many different O-linemen got a look. Triggered by Jackson's injury, obviously, but wow, there was a stretch in the 2nd half when every time the offense came onto the field there were new O-linemen, until the end where they went back to the original changes. The following guys played meaningful snaps by my count:
Starters: #77, #68, #65, #66, #73
Then: #64, #71, #73, + a couple other guys...I couldn't keep up!
#73 Ince (Redshirt Fr.) looks like a dude. At one point he was playing left guard next to Wirfs and he looked the part...my guess is they're maybe grooming him to take Jackson's spot at LT next year.
Dolph was saying on the radio that Ince was personally recruited by Kirk, so yeah, I'd say they see something in him.

Dolph was saying on the radio that Ince was personally recruited by Kirk, so yeah, I'd say they see something in him.

Ince, too? I know they said Justin Britt was recruited by Kirk, even keeping the offer open when he missed most of senior year with knee injury.

Ince, too? I know they said Justin Britt was recruited by Kirk, even keeping the offer open when he missed most of senior year with knee injury.
Could be I remembered wrong. Of course, Dolph always says IWCC is in Clarinda, so he could be wrong too. Can't believe nobody has corrected him on that yet.

Tribute to Shooter:

From Morehouse's StatPak article (always a good read after games, be sure to take a look if you want a numbers dive):

The guy who came in and played right guard was Kyler Schott. He’s a 6-2, 290-pound walk-on sophomore who attended North Linn High School and lives in Coggon. It’s OK if you didn’t know him. He’s a walk-on offensive lineman and a guard to boot. That is the definition of college football anonymity.

His teammates sure know him. And you know what? They absolutely love him.

“We always call him Jack Black because when he first got here, his beard was trimmed, he had shorter hair and he looked just like Jack Black,” Wirfs said. “I think that’s his personality. He’s a real funny guy, down to earth, can talk to anybody. I love him.”

Two Hawkeye people you are incredibly familiar with called Schott his nickname.

“They moved one of the Paulsens out and they put ‘Shooter’ in there,” defensive end A.J. Epenesa said. “Shooter? He’s about 6-foot, 6-1 and maybe 6-2 on a good day. Long hair. Looks good. A big burly beard. One of my best friends on the team.

“Typical Iowa guy, a walk-on who works hard. Strong, really strong. Put him on an incline bench and see what he can put up.”

Ferentz noticed.

“Shooter was in there getting some reps,” Ferentz said.
“Getting to play next to him was pretty special,” said Wirfs, a Mount Vernon prep who grew up wrestling with Schott at kids meets. “I’m getting all giddy (being able to talk about this). We do everything together. Worked together a lot this summer.”

Wirfs and Schott will still wrestle on occasion.

Tribute to Shooter:

From Morehouse's StatPak article (always a good read after games, be sure to take a look if you want a numbers dive):

The guy who came in and played right guard was Kyler Schott. He’s a 6-2, 290-pound walk-on sophomore who attended North Linn High School and lives in Coggon. It’s OK if you didn’t know him. He’s a walk-on offensive lineman and a guard to boot. That is the definition of college football anonymity.

“We always call him Jack Black because when he first got here, his beard was trimmed, he had shorter hair and he looked just like Jack Black,” Wirfs said. “I think that’s his personality. He’s a real funny guy, down to earth, can talk to anybody. I love him.”

“They moved one of the Paulsens out and they put ‘Shooter’ in there,” defensive end A.J. Epenesa said. “Shooter? He’s about 6-foot, 6-1 and maybe 6-2 on a good day. Long hair. Looks good. A big burly beard. One of my best friends on the team.

“Typical Iowa guy, a walk-on who works hard. Strong, really strong. Put him on an incline bench and see what he can put up.”

Ferentz noticed.

“Getting to play next to him was pretty special,” said Wirfs, a Mount Vernon prep who grew up wrestling with Schott at kids meets. “I’m getting all giddy (being able to talk about this). We do everything together. Worked together a lot this summer.”

Really like this OL group. Pretty scrappy and seem to have an edge to them. I predict they'll be better run blockers. Also, kind a like Wirfs at LT. He's a bulldozer.

I can't name a deeper RB/WR roster in all of Ferentz's tenure. 2004 pre-injuries was closest imo.

Tribute to Shooter:

Ferentz noticed.

View of the entire pancake, start to finish, from above: