Fire re-lit?

Hawkfromnorwalk

Back in 2008 after taking the first three games Iowa dropped the next three games to start the season 3-3. We were coming off three straight seasons of disappointment including the 2007 campaign which left Iowa bowl-less. The heat was really being turned up on Kirk and company, and the call for replacements in the staff were starting to become deafening.

Then Shonn Greene broke out, we beat a National Championship bound PSU, and finished the season on a high note. 2009 seemed to carry over the luck and attitude from the 2008 season. After the Orange bowl last year, pretty much everybody forgot about the fact that Kirk was facing major heat just a season earlier.

Here is question. After a season and a half hiatus, is the heat back on Ferentz? From my perspective I would have to say it is. Were facing some of the same exact issues we were looking at during those down years. It seems that if we have the precise parts involved to run Kirk's scheme it works like a charm, but if there is a single cog missing in the machine everything falls apart. I really think that this coaching staff should be feeling some heat, and that there are questions that need to be addressed (leadership issues and team lacking focus).

We could have back to back three win seasons at this point and there would be no heat on Ferentz. He is signed for several more years and there is no way the University could afford the buyout and we don't have enough donors with the level of cash necessary to buy him out. The only way he leaves are (a) heat from media and fans finally gets to him and he quits (not going to happen), (b) gets hired by NFL (not going to happen, getting too old and record becoming too spotty), or (c) gets caught in a Eustachy-like blaze of glory (not going to happen unless you guys get busy with your photoshopping classes). Ferentz and the University are connected at the hip.

Not even close. Didn't Ferentz just sign a 10 year extension? Ferentz could go 0-12, 0-12 and 0-12 the next three seasons and be safe. Next season I think the heat picks up with the fanbase and media but not with Barta because after looking at next season's schedule and the players each team returns, and if McNutt and Sash leave early, Iowa is realistic looking at 4-8/6-6 record, 7-5/8-4 overachieving. Iowa is so young next season but think it sets up well for 2012 season, therefore keeping Kirk and his staff in tact.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the fire is on KF specifically, but more on him to make changes. The fire is always on KOK, ranging from lighter-sized flames, to a raging inferno. The later is what he's facing now.

I agree with your assessment. No offense is "one siaze fits all". It would be nice to see the coaching staff take a hard look at what they have tailor the offense around the strengths of those players. For whatever the reason may be the offense and defense did not jive with the offensive and defensive schemes. It did not look like either were tailored to th strenghts of the players.

Piggy back off what Hawkeyeryno stated.....Local media might ask a question or two that might irritate him, but other than that his buns won't get toasty for awhile. Unless 2011 is a complete trainwreck and is coupled with a bunch of off the field issues his seat will be lukewarm at best.

I would disagree there. 0-12. 0-12, 0-12 would get Ferentz fired I believe. Even 3-9. 3-9. and 3-9 could see a dismissal. That would be the only case because Kinnick would become the new Carver and they would be losing major money from the fans. It would get really ugly.

But, as long as Ferentz averages around 6-7 wins a season, he will be safe (like it or not).

Latest posts