Fire Barta and make Dan Gable AD

Gotta put someone who wants to win and gets it in place as AD. Thoughts?

Those who tout this as an option are some of the most clueless people walking. Point me to one interview where Gable has even remotely indicated he's interested in running the athletic dept.?

In a pinch, I think he would relish the thought of revamping the athletic department....and he would be a great short term interim guy to let go of KF and lead search and put contract in place for a new HC...But I agree, that I don't think he has sought that position out, and I would guess that he's heard his name mentioned for something like this from more relevant sources than HN...and quietly withdrew his name from the hat for any number of reasons....but who know's, maybe it would "float his boat".

Those who tout this as an option are some of the most clueless people walking. Point me to one interview where Gable has even remotely indicated he's interested in running the athletic dept.?

It isn't that he'd be interested. It's that he can't stand losing, and he has a high sense of responsibility. If he were asked he would do it, and he would burn out this losing mentality that seems to be eating the program and the state.

There are other candidates out there that might want the job, sure. But if you want to hire internally, you hire that man.

7c1e053ccb25c4472a97ef06d1715f23f48e28b5.jpg

Heck, I would make him president of the University.

Gable may not be interested at this stage in life (he's 66), at least not long term. But he has all the qualities you want...he works his butt off, expects excellence, has the networking skills necessary, understands what it takes at IOWA and is highly respected both in and out of Iowa City. He could and would get people to act.

Sadly, he's the antithesis of the what the East Bank crew want in an AD. (too tough, too competition focused, absolutely NOT PC) Yeah...I said it again and will continue to as long as Sally lives at the corner of Clinton and Church.

Even though the only thing I know about wrestling is that a pin is worth 6 points (Am i Correct?), I've always admired Dan Gable and how driven he is. Without coming across as being mean spirited, I've always thought Gable is too rough around the edges as does not fit the businessman side of the AD job. He does not use very good grammar at times, and always looks as if he dressed himself in the dark. That being said, we do need a take no prisoners AD once Barta is finally shown the door. ***Fingers crossed***

He would do it in a heartbeat. He still hates the Clowns for ignoring him.

It isn't that he'd be interested. It's that he can't stand losing, and he has a high sense of responsibility. If he were asked he would do it, and he would burn out this losing mentality that seems to be eating the program and the state.

There are other candidates out there that might want the job, sure. But if you want to hire internally, you hire that man.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the idea of Gable as AD because of everything he is and stands for. He's just never gone on record anywhere I know of even hinting that he would have the slightest interest so talking about this as if it's an option is pointless.

This is absolutely genius!! I've never thought about it but Dan Gable would make an awesome AD. I think it would be similar to Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin. That guy doesn't like to lose either and they've been successful ever since he took over the job.

I could see Gable as an interim AD who can find a driven and capable person to take over on a permanent basis. Could the major donors make this happen?

Why would he indicate publicly an interest in running the athletic dept. when there is currently an athletic director in the position.

If he did that, you would probably be the first person talking about how bush-league Gable is for doing that.

I can live with Gable but I think you should probably have some experience. I dont think he would like any part of the butt kissing that has to be done to raise money for th athletic dept.

Gotta put someone who wants to win and gets it in place as AD. Thoughts?

I have stated this before. But the powers that be would be terrified of dealing with a man like Gable. He would demand excellence and that isn't what Iowa athletics is about.

I have stated this before. But the powers that be would be terrified of dealing with a man like Gable. He would demand excellence and that isn't what Iowa athletics is about.

Or maybe they'd be terrified of dealing with him because he would have absolutely no idea what he was doing. Contrary to many on this board, an AD's primary job does not consist of giving motivational speeches to the existing coaching staffs of various Iowa sports teams. Maybe Coach Doyle could become president of the University while we're at it.

Or maybe they'd be terrified of dealing with him because he would have absolutely no idea what he was doing. Contrary to many on this board, an AD's primary job does not consist of giving motivational speeches to the existing coaching staffs of various Iowa sports teams. Maybe Coach Doyle could become president of the University while we're at it.
Agreed.

There's a reason why most coaches don't become ADs. Barry Alvarez is the exception, not the rule.

Gable is a legend and one of the best coaches ever, but he is simply not AD material. And I see that is a good thing.

Latest posts