Final reflection on the OSU Game

Something that doesn't get pointed out but may have been an additional factor, was there wasn't much wind for the Ohio State game. The combination of Ohio State's defense playing base defense and little wind improved Iowa's passing game immensely. It helped Stanley have confidence passing and the Iowa's inexperienced receivers catching the ball. Not to mention punting and catching punts Things snowballed late in the second quarter with Bosa out, Jackson's interceptions, than Iowa's tight ends making big plays.

The Wisconsin and Purdue games were very windy. It wasn't the whole story by any means, but receivers and punt returner were having all sorts of problems in both games. Both opposing defenses were very good, and having a gusting cold wind wasn't helping at all.

Umm, what? Dual threat QBs have been the biggest Iowa killers since KF became HC. You must be confusing us with someone else?

GT for one. MN most of the time. IU. Nebby. IL State...for some of them.

I've been known to be confused at time. My wife would say that.. My kids would say that but they don't count in this.

After the two OSU linemen get injured, the offense for OSU just didn't have any rhythm. From that moment on every single bounce of the ball or 50/50 play goes the Hawks way.

Nope. Both of them came back and played the majority of the game.

GT for one. MN most of the time. IU. Nebby. IL State...for some of them.

I've been known to be confused at time. My wife would say that.. My kids would say that but they don't count in this.
You don't recall Indiana's QB (Antwan Randle El) shredding us? Juice Williams running all over us? Tyrell Pryor. I seem to recall having problems with running QBs.

You don't recall Indiana's QB (Antwan Randle El) shredding us? Juice Williams running all over us? Tyrell Pryor. I seem to recall having problems with running QBs.

Iowa hasn't been damaged so much by quarterbacks running for large gains. It's been the soft zone we have given them and the extra time they can buy with their feet to hurt us with the passing game.

Iowa hasn't been damaged so much by quarterbacks running for large gains. It's been the soft zone we have given them and the extra time they can buy with their feet to hurt us with the passing game.

Seem to remember Iowa did pretty well against Robinson. I'm looking at wins. Iowa's lack of aggressiveness on a quarterback seems to do well in containing them for wins. I'd guess the winning percentage is higher than the 58% or so that they win against. Probably higher than the winning percentage against P5 teams w/o. So if a couple of drop back qbs shred Iowa that means they suck at defending drop backs?

2001 Randle El 28 - Iowa 42
2000 Randle El 45 - Iowa 33

2009 Iowa didn't play juice. IL was 2-9
2008 IL won 27-24 at IL.
2007 Juice didn't have a very good game in a 10-6 Iowa win.
2006 Juice was 9-27 in a big win for Iowa.

2009 Iowa lost in OT to Pyror
2008 didn't play
2010 OSU shredded Iowa's defense 20-17. Pyror was 18-33 scorching Iowa's D for 1 TD and 2 INTs.

So, I don't remember that. I don't count the 1999 Iowa football team. We had a coach in training with a decently talented football team.

I do remember Iowa struggling with a MN dual threat QB.

Ahhhhhh The Hat Trick. Will never forget that or this game. It was a proud day in Hawkeye history. OSU didn't believe about the Kinnick curse for top ranked teams. Making believers out of everybody. It most definitely was a perfect storm. IMO if OSU would of got off their ass and blitzed ( because the Hawks can't handle a blitzing team ) we wouldn't of fared to well. I still can see Duzey streaking down the sideline in the Horseshoe with 2 DB's chasing him. Lol Guess OSU doesn't learn to good.

I will say the one thing that stuck out to me with this offense, was if they were not on early in a game it just snowballed downhill. Even Nebraska game they seemed okay starting out, but any game where they quickly lost confidence, that was it.

Umm, what? Dual threat QBs have been the biggest Iowa killers since KF became HC. You must be confusing us with someone else?

Exception JT Barrett. Also would say Thorson was checked but our offense could not do anything to keep from tripping over itself.

All of these QBs mentioned had big days against everyone, not just Iowa; that's because they were very good football players.

Exception JT Barrett. Also would say Thorson was checked but our offense could not do anything to keep from tripping over itself.
Barret has been hindered by leg injuries for the last couple of years. He hasn't run as much as he used to. And don't anybody get me wrong here. Running QBs are a nightmare for every DC in college football. Unless they run a pure option style attack.

Seem to remember Iowa did pretty well against Robinson. I'm looking at wins. Iowa's lack of aggressiveness on a quarterback seems to do well in containing them for wins. I'd guess the winning percentage is higher than the 58% or so that they win against. Probably higher than the winning percentage against P5 teams w/o. So if a couple of drop back qbs shred Iowa that means they suck at defending drop backs?

2001 Randle El 28 - Iowa 42
2000 Randle El 45 - Iowa 33

2009 Iowa didn't play juice. IL was 2-9
2008 IL won 27-24 at IL.
2007 Juice didn't have a very good game in a 10-6 Iowa win.
2006 Juice was 9-27 in a big win for Iowa.

2009 Iowa lost in OT to Pyror
2008 didn't play
2010 OSU shredded Iowa's defense 20-17. Pyror was 18-33 scorching Iowa's D for 1 TD and 2 INTs.

So, I don't remember that. I don't count the 1999 Iowa football team. We had a coach in training with a decently talented football team.

I do remember Iowa struggling with a MN dual threat QB.
I didn't count 99 either. Randle-El was the only one I went back and looked at because "Indiana QB" kept jumping out to me. And as you noted, good running QBs haven't always equaled losses for us.

As others said, it was a perfect storm for Iowa, when everything finally came together. Entire squad played to their potential, and we got quite a few lucky plays/calls to go our way. We were able to go up big right around halftime and that forced Ohio State to keep throwing on a secondary that clamped down after giving up two quick passing scores.

The thing is, the level of play we saw against Ohio State wasn't something that came out of nowhere. We've shown flashes of brilliance all season, despite a young offense and an often frustrating offensive play-calling scheme. We know Stanley can keep the ball safe and make pretty good throws...but he'd overthrow often. We've seen the athleticism of ISM. The play making abilities of Fant and TJ. We all know Wadley is an absolute weapon in space. But between the strange play calls to run Wadley up the gut into a stacked box, and the frustrating drops by TEs/WRs, we never quite got it going as an entire unit. Until Ohio State.

Forget scoring points...the fact that the offense held the ball for more than 3 plays on any given drive was HUGE. Forced Ohio State back, gave the defense a breather, and allowed them to force the turnovers to get the ball back to the offense with great field position.

As others said, it was a perfect storm for Iowa, when everything finally came together. Entire squad played to their potential, and we got quite a few lucky plays/calls to go our way. We were able to go up big right around halftime and that forced Ohio State to keep throwing on a secondary that clamped down after giving up two quick passing scores.

The thing is, the level of play we saw against Ohio State wasn't something that came out of nowhere. We've shown flashes of brilliance all season, despite a young offense and an often frustrating offensive play-calling scheme. We know Stanley can keep the ball safe and make pretty good throws...but he'd overthrow often. We've seen the athleticism of ISM. The play making abilities of Fant and TJ. We all know Wadley is an absolute weapon in space. But between the strange play calls to run Wadley up the gut into a stacked box, and the frustrating drops by TEs/WRs, we never quite got it going as an entire unit. Until Ohio State.

Forget scoring points...the fact that the offense held the ball for more than 3 plays on any given drive was HUGE. Forced Ohio State back, gave the defense a breather, and allowed them to force the turnovers to get the ball back to the offense with great field position.

That was another factor I neglected (field position). We weren't giving the ball to O$U on our 34-yard line after every punt. Not that we were punting 50 yarders or flipping the field, but at least we weren't gifting them with quasi-red-zone starts to every drive.

We played pretty well offensively against OSU, broke some tendencies, got ourselves into manageable situations...

But we got quite a bit of help from Ohio State too. The Bosa ejection, the mysterious disappearance of JK Dobbins, the blown coverages, the bad run fits...it was a pattern of poor performance that, when butted up against our offensive performance, produced one of the most unlikely results of the KF era.

And in a few years when Brian takes over, and leads us to another 7-5 record of woulda/coulda/shoulda, some fans will still point back to this game as a reason to give Brian more time.

Also that things were really bad in the 70s ;)

Latest posts