Final Grades

longtimer

OK not done yet but I'm headed ti San Diego foe a couple of weeks so I thought id post now. (hoping the Hotel doesnt have Big Ten Network)

Bohannon D+ Division 1 offensive player Division 111 defensive player. Really mailed it in as of late

Dailey C Improved but below average Has his moments both ways

Cook C+ Great Dunker, rest of his game needs work. Did I mention great dunker?

Moss C- Can be good on offensive side but can be bad. Not strong with the ball and doesnt have a high BB IQ

Pemsl D Maybe generous just not a good athlete and cant shoot some decent moves around the basket

Baer C- Really dropped off from a nice 16-17 year looks like a walk on much of the time now

Wagner D As most have said he is in the wrong sport

Ellingson F+ Hate to give anyone an F He wont be around next year

Uhl I incomplete because he disappeared Talk about a player going South

Nunge C+ Had some good moments and some not so good Needs strength

Garza A- Plays hard has a nice shot Not a great athlete but better than Woody

Kriener C hard to tell as doesn't play a lot but does play hard and has nice shot

McCaffrey and the coaching staff F When I was in third grade the teacher gave a girl in class a red F
she took it to be even worse than a plain F although I assume that was the only colored pen teacher
had. If I could give Fran and the coaching staff a red F I would. This was a decent team in 16-17 and we lost Jok
who was a good shooter but not known for defense. How can we be this bad? I am hard pressed to see any player
with much if any improvement. Just a terrible job with no excuses.

PS For those of you that think this is the worst all time team in Iowa History I understand your thinking, but let me
tell you younger posters Dick Schultz teams in the 70s after Ralph Miller left were pretty horrible. Schultz was a nice
guy and classy (I think he ended up heading the NCAA foe a time) but was a really bad recruiter. He played with a lot of slow unathletic Iowa kids and we were really bad. Big Ten was not as athletic overall back then but we had Drake level talent

Doesn't really matter what the individual player grades are. This is a team sport. And as a team, they've failed miserably. Coaches, players, administration....they all failed.

I'd give Bohannon a C. Last night was a fail but he's been getting a lot of assists, plus a lot of games he's kept us in with his 3s. Defensively, he's pretty much an F.

I'd give Cook a B simply because, a lot of games, we might have lost by 40 instead of 20 or so because he was in there.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with your grades.

I'd have given Fran a B- overall as Iowa coach coming into this year but this year he gets an F-.

How I would rank based on expectations:

Garza (B) - was hoping for a rim protector and he hasn’t shown that at all but overall he looks like he will be a solid big man for us.

Nunge (B-) - I think this kid is going to be really good. Just getting his feet wet this year. Tons of potential.

Dailey (B-) - Been a pleasant surprise. Wish Fran would have gotten him more minutes.

Bohannon (C) - about what I expected from him. He can never be your top backcourt option which is why we needed Moss.

Moss (C-) - we wanted consistency and didn’t get it.

Cook (C-) - we wanted defense and more effort and we didn’t get it.

Baer (D) - playing like a walk-on. I still like the kid but if he has another year like this next year who knows how he’ll be remembered.

Pemsl (D) - taken two steps back, maybe more. I laughed before the year when people thought he was going to take a leap forward because of the injury. He’s basically at his basketball ceiling.

Kriener, Wagner, Ellingson, Uhl (no grade) - they are who we thought they were.

Fran (F) - his in game management has been atrocious, his interviews have been even worse. The guy is lost.

Fran: F- (I'd put Fran on double secret probation)
Team: F (I thought Garza has been solid since his coming out party vs Purdue, Nunge has shown potential)
Barta: F minus, minus (I'd kick his ass out the Carver Hawkeye Doors)

OK not done yet but I'm headed ti San Diego foe a couple of weeks so I thought id post now. (hoping the Hotel doesnt have Big Ten Network)

Bohannon D+ Division 1 offensive player Division 111 defensive player. Really mailed it in as of late

Dailey C Improved but below average Has his moments both ways

Cook C+ Great Dunker, rest of his game needs work. Did I mention great dunker?

Moss C- Can be good on offensive side but can be bad. Not strong with the ball and doesnt have a high BB IQ

Pemsl D Maybe generous just not a good athlete and cant shoot some decent moves around the basket

Baer C- Really dropped off from a nice 16-17 year looks like a walk on much of the time now

Wagner D As most have said he is in the wrong sport

Ellingson F+ Hate to give anyone an F He wont be around next year

Uhl I incomplete because he disappeared Talk about a player going South

Nunge C+ Had some good moments and some not so good Needs strength

Garza A- Plays hard has a nice shot Not a great athlete but better than Woody

Kriener C hard to tell as doesn't play a lot but does play hard and has nice shot

McCaffrey and the coaching staff F When I was in third grade the teacher gave a girl in class a red F
she took it to be even worse than a plain F although I assume that was the only colored pen teacher
had. If I could give Fran and the coaching staff a red F I would. This was a decent team in 16-17 and we lost Jok
who was a good shooter but not known for defense. How can we be this bad? I am hard pressed to see any player
with much if any improvement. Just a terrible job with no excuses.

PS For those of you that think this is the worst all time team in Iowa History I understand your thinking, but let me
tell you younger posters Dick Schultz teams in the 70s after Ralph Miller left were pretty horrible. Schultz was a nice
guy and classy (I think he ended up heading the NCAA foe a time) but was a really bad recruiter. He played with a lot of slow unathletic Iowa kids and we were really bad. Big Ten was not as athletic overall back then but we had Drake level talent

Too hard on JBo who is at least a C+ or B- if in the right role. Too high on Garza. Like him, but show me what he can do when the game isn't in the 90s against decent competition or a blow out. Probably also a C+ B-.

If we had five players with a c average they wouldn't finish last in the conference, but if you give the coaching staff an F then it makes sense.

No way Garza gets an A for his defense which includes his lack of shot blocking abilty. He also can't finish in traffic because of his vertical jump . B- for at least playing his ass off
Actually, for a guy with almost no vertical, he does finish pretty well in traffic. I'm surprised he was not blocked more often than he was. He seems to find a way to get his shot off.

A's= Garza. [drop the mic] Works his ass off, never gives up, and for a Freshman playing in the B1G, he has impressed the hell out of me. Especially vs Purdue who has a monster big, Garza held his own. Impressive.

B's= Dailey. Gives the team a spark when he comes in and frankly, I think he should be the starting PG.

C's= Baer. Perhaps that broken hand set him back further than I expected, but for a returning B1G 6th Man of the Year I expected a helluva lot more from him.
Cook= Is developing a bit of a jumper. Defense still needs work and still sees rebounding as a jumping contest instead of a position and desire contest.
JBo=Statistically having a great year, but so very bad on defense.

D's= Moss. If not for the occasional offensive explosion, would've been an F. Gives little defensive effort and doesn't rebound at all. Is not ready to shoot when he does get the ball, shaky handles.
Nunge= Impressed me at first, but as the competition has ramped up, his slow plodding pace and lack of strength are glaring weaknesses. I fear he may be the next Uhl who peaked in development the minute he entered CHA. PLEASE prove me wrong!!

F's= Pemsl. Loved the kid last year. Lost a lot of weight, so was expecting improvement this year and seen none. Cannot score unless drop stepping to his right. Bad FT shooter, horrible passer.
Coaching staff= I've never seen a team worse at defense and passing than this one. Those are FUNDAMENTALS of the game!! And recruiting?? OMFG!!

Incomplete= Kriener, Wagner, Ellingson, Uhl

Last edited:
You gotta ask yourself, what is the difference between this years team and last years team? There are a few obvious differences; 1.) Peter Jok- More times than not, PJ was the go-to guy to win games. When he didn’t put up the big numbers, the Hawks would usually lose. This is also why J-Bo was able to hit big 3’s in some games, cause teams had to account for Jok on the floor. Without him, they were able to just concentrate on J-Bo. 2.) Let’s be honest here, since Fran was hired, the Hawks have not been a world-beater on the defensive end. He was hired because of the up and down running style everybody was yearning for. He has given us that! I don’t think the Hawks will ever be great on defense with this style of play, they just need to be serviceable. We are built to out score the other team by running them off the court and wearing them down. 3.) Attrition/Injuries- Who knew Christian Williams was gonna bolt just before the season started? Who knew Connor McCaffery was going to have multiple injuries and sicknesses to miss the entire season? There have also been ill-timed injuries and sickness throughout the season that affected consistency and cohesiveness. 4.) Players having to play a position that they aren’t accustom to. Having to learn to play on the fly and figuring out your role during the season is not an easy task and its unfair to ask this of them, but they did the best they can!
So, what does this mean going forward? This year was a learning experience for these young men! They will be better for it in the long term! Add in the fact that McCaffery should be able to spell J-Bo at the point next year. We saw flashes of what Moss and Dailey could do. Wieskamp can be another Peter Jok type scorer with a little seasoning anything the Frederick kid can bring is just icing on the cake! Do we need a true point gaurd? YES! But outside someone transferring out and opening up a schollie, I think we will be just fine until we can get one or two of the 3 guys we are recruiting. I didn’t say much about our frontcourt because we are deep and talented there, they will get better as they get experience. I still believe with all my heart that this team can go from worst to first in no time at all. All the pieces will come together folks and it will produce what I think will be the best team Iowa has ever had! I will make this bold prediction now; this is a National Championship caliber team in the making! That’s right! You heard it here first folks! Go ahead! Say I’m drinking the kool-aide, say I’m crazy! Then when it happens, just tell me I was right! I’m the one that told you that BF was gonna follow KF as coach, how’s that looking so far? Only time will tell. But you have to admit, its looking that way!

You gotta ask yourself, what is the difference between this years team and last years team? There are a few obvious differences; 1.) Peter Jok- More times than not, PJ was the go-to guy to win games. When he didn’t put up the big numbers, the Hawks would usually lose. This is also why J-Bo was able to hit big 3’s in some games, cause teams had to account for Jok on the floor. Without him, they were able to just concentrate on J-Bo. 2.) Let’s be honest here, since Fran was hired, the Hawks have not been a world-beater on the defensive end. He was hired because of the up and down running style everybody was yearning for. He has given us that! I don’t think the Hawks will ever be great on defense with this style of play, they just need to be serviceable. We are built to out score the other team by running them off the court and wearing them down. 3.) Attrition/Injuries- Who knew Christian Williams was gonna bolt just before the season started? Who knew Connor McCaffery was going to have multiple injuries and sicknesses to miss the entire season? There have also been ill-timed injuries and sickness throughout the season that affected consistency and cohesiveness. 4.) Players having to play a position that they aren’t accustom to. Having to learn to play on the fly and figuring out your role during the season is not an easy task and its unfair to ask this of them, but they did the best they can!
So, what does this mean going forward? This year was a learning experience for these young men! They will be better for it in the long term! Add in the fact that McCaffery should be able to spell J-Bo at the point next year. We saw flashes of what Moss and Dailey could do. Wieskamp can be another Peter Jok type scorer with a little seasoning anything the Frederick kid can bring is just icing on the cake! Do we need a true point gaurd? YES! But outside someone transferring out and opening up a schollie, I think we will be just fine until we can get one or two of the 3 guys we are recruiting. I didn’t say much about our frontcourt because we are deep and talented there, they will get better as they get experience. I still believe with all my heart that this team can go from worst to first in no time at all. All the pieces will come together folks and it will produce what I think will be the best team Iowa has ever had! I will make this bold prediction now; this is a National Championship caliber team in the making! That’s right! You heard it here first folks! Go ahead! Say I’m drinking the kool-aide, say I’m crazy! Then when it happens, just tell me I was right! I’m the one that told you that BF was gonna follow KF as coach, how’s that looking so far? Only time will tell. But you have to admit, its looking that way!
I knew we were going to miss Jok's 92% free throw shooting, or whatever it was. And Williams was an underrated player who contributed in subtle ways. But to fall all the way to the bottom of a down Big Ten? And not even be able to show a pulse in most road games? We may never know the answer. More concerning the players may never know the answers. They could be much improved next year but the conference could be much stronger, too. It's hard to say but no less frustrating.

Not much of a cool aid drinker can you mix whatever it is you are spiking it with scotch?

PS I gave Garza an A- only because every team should have an A player. He was not but he sure tried to be

Crispin last night kept talking about Iowa's "potential." This season is over, so next season becomes the crucial one for this coaching staff. Iowa has to show improvement next year....at least winning record and NIT bid. If they don't achieve that level, they really must let Fran go.

Latest posts