Final 2 Scholarship Options for Men's Basketball Team with 2014 Recruiting

KatoZenti

After watching Iowa lose another heartbreaking game to Wisconsin, I'm starting to assess where Iowa needs to focus its last 2 scholarships for 2014 class.

I think they should go to the 2 JUCO players: Dickerson & Atwood or a transfer like Kane at Iowa State.

You lose Marble, Basabe & McCabe after this season & these 2 players would be good in a Hawkeye uniform.

Dickerson & Atwood want to play together at the next level & why not at Iowa.

On the other hand, Iowa needs to find a player like DeAndre Kane is to Iowa State. There always seems to be players that want to play at a higher level from other schools for that graduate year. You see it at other Division I schools, why can't Iowa take a page out of Iowa State's book? I know last year Iowa hosted Pepperdine transfer Jordan Baker & he liked his visit to Iowa. Whatever happened to him?

Any thoughts on the last 2 scholarships?

I really hope the Hawks get Atwood and if it means having to take Dickerson then I am fine with it.

I am really hoping that Ellingson translates into a clutch 3 point shooter for Iowa, even as soon as next year. Same deal with Jok. Then, Uthoff begins to play with more confidence, Whitey plays the 4, and Gesell continue his climb to the top of the point guard tree in the BT, and Josh is worth a million in his senior year. And, yes, I think these are all realistic possibilities.

I am really hoping that Ellingson translates into a clutch 3 point shooter for Iowa, even as soon as next year. Same deal with Jok. Then, Uthoff begins to play with more confidence, Whitey plays the 4, and Gesell continue his climb to the top of the point guard tree in the BT, and Josh is worth a million in his senior year. And, yes, I think these are all realistic possibilities.

White is not tough enough for the 4.

After watching Iowa lose another heartbreaking game to Wisconsin, I'm starting to assess where Iowa needs to focus its last 2 scholarships for 2014 class.

I think they should go to the 2 JUCO players: Dickerson & Atwood or a transfer like Kane at Iowa State.

You lose Marble, Basabe & McCabe after this season & these 2 players would be good in a Hawkeye uniform.

Dickerson & Atwood want to play together at the next level & why not at Iowa.

On the other hand, Iowa needs to find a player like DeAndre Kane is to Iowa State. There always seems to be players that want to play at a higher level from other schools for that graduate year. You see it at other Division I schools, why can't Iowa take a page out of Iowa State's book? I know last year Iowa hosted Pepperdine transfer Jordan Baker & he liked his visit to Iowa. Whatever happened to him?

Any thoughts on the last 2 scholarships?

Thug transfers? Kane almost killed a Mormon earlier in the year.

We do things the right way, clowns can keep their Thug transfers that are all criminals and we'll keep it classy. Classier coach, classier players, classier fans, that's the right way, the Iowa way.

White is not tough enough for the 4.

It's interesting how things change. Last year, fans were saying White needed to be at the 4 to be effective. Now he's not 'tough' enough for the 4. Atwood's shooting might open up lanes and allow Aaron to be at the 3 next year. Otherwise, he's going to be at the 4 for the 2014-15 season. We'll need him at his offensive best without Marble and, unless he grows markedly better at the 3pter, that means the 4 spot for Aaron.

Likewise, without Marble's length in the backcourt allowing him to make plays, we could really use an ultra-quick penetrator like say, Dickerson.

Thug transfers? Kane almost killed a Mormon earlier in the year.

We do things the right way, clowns can keep their Thug transfers that are all criminals and we'll keep it classy. Classier coach, classier players, classier fans, that's the right way, the Iowa way.

Fran's leaving?:cool:

Atwood has been offered by Louisville. Pretty much excluded him from coming to Iowa. And yes, Iowa should take some transfers to fill the scholarship(s). Time for Fran to to embrace that culture like Hoiberg does. Need an impact JUCO or transfer that can start and is experienced on this team. If none of the 4 scholarships go to players who can make an impact next season then what a waste.

Atwood has been offered by Louisville. Pretty much excluded him from coming to Iowa. And yes, Iowa should take some transfers to fill the scholarship(s). Time for Fran to to embrace that culture like Hoiberg does. Need an impact JUCO or transfer that can start and is experienced on this team. If none of the 4 scholarships go to players who can make an impact next season then what a waste.

And know this... how?

Looking at Louisville's commitment list, interest in Atwood may be in case committed but unsigned 4*PF Jaylen Johnson doesn't work out. Plus, they have 3 underclass PFs on their roster already.

I saw some really good JUCO players play recently at Iowa Western Community College & Indian Hills Community College that Iowa should look at for possible scholarship opportunities.

Rob Robinson 6'5" F Chicago, Illinois--IWCC; Played at University of Illinois-Chicago.

Kashief Thomas 5'7" G Belize City, Belize--IWCC

Ryan Bowie 6'1" G Lewisville, Texas--IWCC

Dinjiyl Walker 6'2" G Vaughan, Ontario--IWCC

Jeremiah Hollis 6'7" Post Little Rock, Arkansas--IWCC; Played at Shawnee CC (IL); Known as "JR"; Long armed

Josiah Coleman 6'5" F Cedar Rapids, Iowa--IWCC; Combination of athleticism & skill; High flying

Tyrone Haughton 6'9" Post Miami, Florida--IWCC; Played at South Carolina; Known as "Ty"; Long & bouncy; Unique ability to change the game on either end of the floor

Marcus Posley 6'0"/6'1" Wing/G Rockford, Illinois--IHCC; Played at Ball State; Very talented & can do a lot with basketball; Fantastic range on his shot

Probably not on Iowa's radar & late in the recruiting process, but I feel these kids can play at a high level of basketball.

Iowa was ranked in the Top 10 this season. If we finish strong, we can end up there. Bring in Atwood and add another year experience to our team, and it will be Top 10 again.

With Fran we wil be a Top 25, or better, team year after year.

Atwood actually says he has not scheduled any visits yet, on twitter.

Looking at Louisville's commitment list, interest in Atwood may be in case committed but unsigned 4*PF Jaylen Johnson doesn't work out. Plus, they have 3 underclass PFs on their roster already.
Fran should offer Jaylen Johnson, at least just for fun. He can go in and tell Jaylen that Pitino is trying to recruit over him, and steal him away. I would take Johnson for 4 years instead of Atwood for 2.

Let's avoid becoming transfer U. Find some good HS seniors that we can cultivate.

No jucos? Really? Anyone say Reggie Evans? Still playing in the pros. I agree that is probably the exception, but we need help NOW, not in 2-3 years. Give me Darryl Miller. 6 foot 2 inch walk-on with tom davis. We haven't had a tougher inside guy since Fran has been here. I just want 1 guy who can post up and score. There are plenty of guys out there. Fran's job is to find them. chicago is really close

No jucos? Really? Anyone say Reggie Evans? Still playing in the pros. I agree that is probably the exception, but we need help NOW, not in 2-3 years. Give me Darryl Miller. 6 foot 2 inch walk-on with tom davis. We haven't had a tougher inside guy since Fran has been here. I just want 1 guy who can post up and score. There are plenty of guys out there. Fran's job is to find them. chicago is really close
I think you mean Darryl Moore, whom I once bought a car off of in Iowa City at a used car joint by the waterfront Hy-vee. Not Darryl Miller , whom is, I have no F ing clue???

Fran should offer Jaylen Johnson, at least just for fun. He can go in and tell Jaylen that Pitino is trying to recruit over him, and steal him away. I would take Johnson for 4 years instead of Atwood for 2.

Johnson is already signed.... But you are right, Pitino is loaded in the positions Willie Atwood plays. With Harrell, Blackshear, and adding more in current & future players Agau, Onuaku and Aaron. That's a loaded deck, not even counting the shorter guards that can play big, meaning - Limited minutes...

Atwood would certainly have more playing time, and make a bigger impact. He would be the missing piece to the Hawkeye puzzle. We would be able to take out ANYONE, not just play with anyone like we currently can do...
Damn, it's hard to believe we have that many losses and Nobody has beaten us by more than 10 points. This team is SO darn close!

Last edited:

Latest posts