FILM ROOM: Cade McNamara

I don't think we expect the second coming of Joe Burrow. What Iowa's offense needs to be is just competent. Explosive is so far outside of my wish list I can barely utter the words. We need a guy that can accurately distribute the ball, make smart decisions with the ball, scramble here and there, and just keep the chains moving. Give the defense a break. Get into favorable field goal or punting position to flip the field, and punch in 3 TDs per game. You don't need a superstar to do that.
You're describing a healthy CJ Beathard to me. We'd all glady take that again. Tough as nails yet smart.

Rudock didn't exactly have a cannon either but he did ok. I think Cades is better then his was. I don't think it's less than anyway. I'd be fine with a qb that's more accurate that can convert 3rd and 8s compared to a strong armed guy like Petras that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn
Don't disagree. The bottom line is Iowa will need different routes and pocket protection or it will be a disaster.

Don't disagree. The bottom line is Iowa will need different routes and pocket protection or it will be a disaster.
Yeah getting the running game going I think is the biggest deal. Being in 2nd and 3rd and longs all the time makes it tough. Being less predictable with our formations on certain downs and distances also helps. Brian just has us lineup there with the same personnel so often it makes us predictable and easier to lineup against. We have a lot of downs lost presnap.

When we can get ahead of the chains on early downs BF can call a different game. I'd love a more open type of offense but that isn't happening. I don't mean spread all the time but calling for some creative route combinations to scheme guys open and get them the ball in space. But yeah if Oline stinks again that'd put a wrench into about anything they want to do

The bottom line is that Petras simply was not a good QB. Showed some flashes, strong arm, great attitude, always positive about coaches, teammates, fans. But even with a decent O line and average receivers, he flat out was not a good QB. Accuracy = poor. Consistency = poor. Mobility= poor. Poise=poor. I absolutely admire this young man. I wish he would have had fun playing for a good MAC team. Time we move on and wish him the best.

The bottom line is that Petras simply was not a good QB. Showed some flashes, strong arm, great attitude, always positive about coaches, teammates, fans. But even with a decent O line and average receivers, he flat out was not a good QB. Accuracy = poor. Consistency = poor. Mobility= poor. Poise=poor. I absolutely admire this young man. I wish he would have had fun playing for a good MAC team. Time we move on and wish him the best.
Jesus Mary…

Petras is staying on to help out in the QB room and knows he won’t play a down of Iowa football again.

How much Old Style have you had tonight?

KF is fine throwing the ball down the field. What he is not fine with is taking sacks and turning the ball over. If the offensive staff and QB can be effective taking shots down the field, KF will be fine with that. We have a QB who clearly can push the ball down the field, now we need an OL who can protect and WRs who can stretch the field. Let's hope that comes together.....
You would think he would love long passes. Worst thing that can happen is an int and that's basically a punt usually.

Jesus Mary…

Petras is staying on to help out in the QB room and knows he won’t play a down of Iowa football again.

How much Old Style have you had tonight?
What? Are you bored? I have not had a drop and I don’t like Old Style Anyway. I expressed what I think, with lots of recognition of SP’s strengths, with only criticism of his physical gifts. I have been very impressed with this young man’s courage. You may want to re-read my post very slowly to improve your comprehension.

Everything in this post, including the good and the bad, is factually correct. I have no idea how Petras would have fared in a spread-type offense -- other Iowa QBs have transferred to Texas Tech and other schools and had success -- but he was not a good fit for the Iowa offense. In a low-powered offense like Iowa's, accuracy is the key, and unfortunately, consistent accuracy was a major problem for Petras.

You're describing a healthy CJ Beathard to me. We'd all glady take that again. Tough as nails yet smart.
Shit I would take a CJ clone any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I am so beaten down by bad QB play the last few years I would take a lesser version of CJ. Just a guy who can make the simple plays and maybe a couple off schedule plays a game. Just be pretty good. That's not too much to ask.....

Everything in this post, including the good and the bad, is factually correct. I have no idea how Petras would have fared in a spread-type offense -- other Iowa QBs have transferred to Texas Tech and other schools and had success -- but he was not a good fit for the Iowa offense. In a low-powered offense like Iowa's, accuracy is the key, and unfortunately, consistent accuracy was a major problem for Petras.
Exactly. Even on passes he completed he was often behind high or just off to the point where the receiver couldn't get any YAC. For whatever reasons and their were more then one he just couldn't consistently be accurate on about any throw. Be it in the pocket or god forbid on the roll outs to the left BF would inexplicably call too often. Talk about asking a guy to do something he can't....

Petras broke records that Goff (Detroit Lions) set. He had talent. I wonder how much of the problem was him not developing, or the coaching staff failing him. I lean more on Kirk than Brain being at fault.

Petras broke records that Goff (Detroit Lions) set. He had talent. I wonder how much of the problem was him not developing, or the coaching staff failing him. I lean more on Kirk than Brain being at fault.
Yeah hard telling. HS is such a different game. If he had 1 or 2 receivers worth a dang that could run by guys that's all it'd take to put up crooked numbers. Qbs can make up for poor fundamentals poor footwork being inaccurate etc much easier in HS.

It wasn't like we only saw Petras for a little bit. He was a 3 yr starter with 25-30 starts I bet. Can anyone point to anything he did this yr where he looked any better then he did his sophomore yr? He never improved as far as I could tell. That's on BF and Petras himself. I'm not saying he didn't try I'm sure he did. I'm sure he worked his ass off. It just doesn't matter with the results being the what they were. At some point it doesn't matter how good/smart you are. If you can't get it done you can't get it done.

It wasn't his fault Iowa never found someone better to play instead of him. That's also on BF and KF.

Yeah hard telling. HS is such a different game. If he had 1 or 2 receivers worth a dang that could run by guys that's all it'd take to put up crooked numbers. Qbs can make up for poor fundamentals poor footwork being inaccurate etc much easier in HS.

It wasn't like we only saw Petras for a little bit. He was a 3 yr starter with 25-30 starts I bet. Can anyone point to anything he did this yr where he looked any better then he did his sophomore yr? He never improved as far as I could tell. That's on BF and Petras himself. I'm not saying he didn't try I'm sure he did. I'm sure he worked his ass off. It just doesn't matter with the results being the what they were. At some point it doesn't matter how good/smart you are. If you can't get it done you can't get it done.

It wasn't his fault Iowa never found someone better to play instead of him. That's also on BF and KF.
Brian Ferentz is a former OL, and OL coach.
Yet he cannot develop offensive linemen.

Does anyone expect he can develop a QB?

Last edited:
He cannot develop offensive linemen.

Not without O'Keefe on the staff. The fall off in production each time O'Keefe has left the program has been stark. Returning QB each time, too, so it's all on coaching. O'Keefe has forgotten more than Greg Davis and the Brain ever knew.

Yet he cannot develop offensive linemen.

Their had been some attrition on the Oline out of his control too that factored in. Yet he recruited them. The Oline is on him along with entire O. But hell no he can't develop QBs to the point it was laughable. He had 2 swings and misses at the top of the QB depth chart that they'd had for the last 2/3 yrs. Either they weren't any good to begin with or he couldn't develop them. Either way it's all on him as OC & QB coach now.
He's gotta be a laughingstock within the industry I would think.

After viewing this content and looking at our schedule, I'm not sure who we lose to prior to the conference title game. I'm usually pretty pessimistic but I think if Iowa has a shot at the playoff this is probably the last time it will happen under Ferentz. Based on past data we are due for another Ferentz miracle this year.
Nice try, funny guy

Their had been some attrition on the Oline out of his control too that factored in. Yet he recruited them. The Oline is on him along with entire O. But hell no he can't develop QBs to the point it was laughable. He had 2 swings and misses at the top of the QB depth chart that they'd had for the last 2/3 yrs. Either they weren't any good to begin with or he couldn't develop them. Either way it's all on him as OC & QB coach now.
Yes he is.
Sadly, so is the Iowa offense.

We just need some third and fours. And no pass plays behind the line. Just convert the two yard passes to five yards.

Latest posts