FG Time Out

HawkGold

Did anyone ever get a good explanation for icing the Hawk kicker?

TV first said not enough players then recanted that. Maybe wanting a miss that almost happened and having the D get a fumble return?

Did anyone ever get a good explanation for icing the Hawk kicker?

TV first said not enough players then recanted that. Maybe wanting a miss that almost happened and having the D get a fumble return?

Extra man on the field.....BF forgot he was a coach and not a player. Did you all see him running out on to the field? lol

He looked like a madman who panicked and thought one thing but wasn't really sure of reality.
Kind of nice in some ways to see that those in high profile can look just as stupid as the rest of us though we don't do it on TV unless it's newsworthy. Maybe social media I guess.

Kind of nice in some ways to see that those in high profile can look just as stupid as the rest of us though we don't do it on TV unless it's newsworthy. Maybe social media I guess.
I look stupid in just about everything I do. Been at it for 42+ years. Used to it.

It wasn't Brian, it was Kirk. Kirk had a massive senior moment and called a timeout because he thought we didn't have enough men on the field. In reality we did.

Brian was trying to get his Dad to NOT call the timeout. If you watch Brian carefully he was doing the "safe" sign signifying we didn't need the timeout.

At least that is how it was explained to me.

When asked about it after the game Kirk deflected and asked them to move on.

Obviously it was all academic because the kick was made.

It is amazing to me sometimes that these coaches and players execute as well as they do in these high pressure games. Iowa had zero penalties in the game...no offsides; no illegal procedure; no illegal formation; etc. etc.

I thought the throw Petras made to Lachey on the last Iowa drive was particularly amazing. He had a big gopher breathing down his neck and he still hit Lachey in stride right on the money.

I'm quite humbled by the play of Petras these last 4 games. He has played championship football behind an average offensive line.

It wasn't Brian, it was Kirk. Kirk had a massive senior moment and called a timeout because he thought we didn't have enough men on the field. In reality we did.

Brian was trying to get his Dad to NOT call the timeout. If you watch Brian carefully he was doing the "safe" sign signifying we didn't need the timeout.

At least that is how it was explained to me.

When asked about it after the game Kirk deflected and asked them to move on.

Obviously it was all academic because the kick was made.

It is amazing to me sometimes that these coaches and players execute as well as they do in these high pressure games. Iowa had zero penalties in the game...no offsides; no illegal procedure; no illegal formation; etc. etc.

I thought the throw Petras made to Lachey on the last Iowa drive was particularly amazing. He had a big gopher breathing down his neck and he still hit Lachey in stride right on the money.

I'm quite humbled by the play of Petras these last 4 games. He has played championship football behind an average offensive line.

I can't find video of it but there was a replay that showed Brian running out on to the field before the first attempt. I don't know if they were missing someone or if they were out of place. I found it comical as HawkGold said he looked like a madman. Kirk may have been the one to actually call the timeout but Brian was worked up over something.

Chad Leistikow had an explanation in his column today. The 40-second clock was ticking down and Iowa was going to take a timeout right before it expired, somewhere around 26-27 seconds of game time. The replay officials buzzed down to do a replay (the phantom fumble by Leshun Williams) and the on field officials stopped the game clock at 31 seconds. The Iowa coaches were upset that they did not get to burn the extra 4-5 seconds off of the clock, which they should have been able to do. Didn't matter in the end but you never know when 1 second could cost you.

My favorite part of the whole exchange during that was when one of the announcers said Ferentz is the best in the business at clock management. Lulz.

One of my favorite Hawkeye victories was due to bad clock management.

I found this clip where Dolphin actually tries to make it out that it was all part of the plan as if KF knew what he was doing. lol

Chad Leistikow had an explanation in his column today. The 40-second clock was ticking down and Iowa was going to take a timeout right before it expired, somewhere around 26-27 seconds of game time. The replay officials buzzed down to do a replay (the phantom fumble by Leshun Williams) and the on field officials stopped the game clock at 31 seconds. The Iowa coaches were upset that they did not get to burn the extra 4-5 seconds off of the clock, which they should have been able to do. Didn't matter in the end but you never know when 1 second could cost you.
I don't know. BF seemed awfully frantic about 4-5 seconds.

I found this clip where Dolphin actually tries to make it out that it was all part of the plan as if KF knew what he was doing. lol

Yes he did. Wonder KF didn't call a time out so Iowa could "prepare" more because LSU was in chaos.. That would be more likely.

Dolph also said that Hinkle got in front of the defender on the block.

Great win. Michigan had one Saturday.

LSU were the ones who didn't know what they were doing. Some thought they were in man, some zone. Players were running in and out as Iowa approached the line. Tate spotted the weak link and cashed in.

As for last weekend, someone would have had some explaining to do if Stevens hooked that kick a foot further to the left.

yeah but when we went to kick it they re-started the play clock at 25 secs

we could have taken it down to like 10 secs left.

This is why Brian was going nuts - he saw the playclock had reset.

Kirk got confused then called a time out...

Leistikow said the refs screwed up the game clock

Just as likely he would have done it without the timeout...copious evidence shows that "icing" has no effect. If your team seems unsure of something, and you have a timeout available, call it. Otherwise...

2018 PSU goal line interception
This. "Icing" the kicker is one of the biggest myths in sport. There's no evidence to support it and there was actually one data dump done a few years ago showing kickers made a higher % of last second kicks after an "icing" TO than without one.
Of course it can never be measured perfectly, for obvious reasons. But there's no evidence that kickers somehow freeze up and choke just because of an extra timeout. It actually cost us the game against ISU in 2014.

Latest posts