Ferentz vs Fry: Some Numbers

While not significantly different what is different is the fact Fry's team played 1 less game per year and he rarely if ever played the powder puff football teams the Hawks play now. Don't just look at records. YOu have to break things down further.

As I've said before, I can't prove what I'm about to type, but if Fry had 12 regular season games and played a much easier schedule like KF does now, my strong belief is Fry's overall record at Iowa would be approximately 160-72 for a 69% win percent.

Likewise, if KF only coached 11 regular season games and played the tougher schedule Fry's teams usually played, based on my unscientific calculations, KF's overall record at Iowa would stand at about 100-99 or 50% win percentage. Just to make KF's overall record look better, I purposely kept a few more wins for him and a few less losses for him.

Playing an 11 game schedule, Fry won 8 games 11 out of 20 years.

Playing mostly a 12 game schedule, KF won 8 games 7 out of 16 times so far. KF will need to win 8 games per year the next four years to equal that and that's playing an extra cup cake game every year. This is not likely to happen at this point.

Heck, KF's teams don't play OSU, Michigan or Michigan State each year like Fry had to.

Bottom line, KF is not even a pimple on Fry's a$$ as far as coaching goes.

Not disagreeing with you, but I will point out that Iowa State, NW, and Wisconsin were definitely cupcakes when Hayden was coaching. Both guys had their cupcakes, so I'm not sure it's fair to compare records (since it's 62% to 58%) as much as the eyeball test. Now, in my opinion, Fry's teams win the eyeball test hands down. KF had some great teams, but, as you pointed out, more mediocre teams than JHF.

Illinois and Michigan State were both pretty damn good teams in the 80's each playing in one Rose Bowl. Indiana was a pretty respectable club when Bill Mallory was there also. I'd put the Big Ten of the vs todays conference any day of week.

Thanks Joshhawk. Was just getting ready to write the same thing in response. While Northwestern was not very good during the 80's they were better in the 90's and the rest of the conference overall was not as bad as it is perceived to be today.

Top ten finishes:

Ferentz 4

Fry 1

Before Hayden Fry took over, Iowa hadn't had a winning season for 17 consecutive years. When Ferentz took over for Fry it was 1 year. The 8 years before KF took over, Iowa was under .500 once.

It's good that KF had 3 very good years back in 02, 03 and 04. In 09 with 11 wins, let's just say Iowa only had one win that wasn't close. That was against ISU. That was a year that was about 5 plays away from a 6-6 regular season record.

Since 2004, Iowa's is 73-53 or an average of 2 wins over .500 annually. Not very good period. KF is the definition of average.

KF still can't make a pimple on Hayden Fry's butt.

Latest posts