Ferentz suspended 1 game, university fined

The variable you site, "a youth football league comprised of 7-13 year olds (having) a mercy rule", is probably a mildly detirmental factor for growth in American youth. However, among basically an uncountable number factors, it makes no material difference. But all the same, the particular factor you site is still stupid.

This is all I saw reading this post.

So should riding bikes, skate boarding, climbing trees, playing soccer, playing baseball, juggling coconuts..All can cause brain injuries.

Blubber (apt moniker)

Check out the science - it's the repeated hits over time that neuro-scientists are finding that causes problems. The brain is not being allowed to heal, as even small collisions in practice, contribute to a cumulative effect over time. This science is one of the major reasons why the NFL is now limiting contact in practices during the week.

Any physical activity can lead to a concussion but the activities you listed do not have the element of continual repeated small or large blows to the head.

When Head Meets Soccer Ball, How Does Your Brain Fare?

Brain injury and the lasting effects of concussion in sport have become a major health issue in recent years, especially in such hard-hitting sports as American football. Although the thump of a soccer ball on a forehead seems fairly innocuous, compared with a crashing tackle on the three-yard line, a soccer player may "head" the ball hundreds or even thousands of times during the course of the season. The cumulative effect of many "sub-concussive" blows to the brain has been unknown and unstudied until now.

The (whatever sexist term you want to use) ification of America argument is an easy place for guys to go to when they see their A**es getting pummeled by women in academics and entry into business right now.

It is like the guy who said his team sucked so all they could do was cheat and his parents celebrated it.

Infante's research on people with low cognitive complexity shows how they must resort to name calling (sexist insults) and other forms of verbal abuse, because they can't make rational arguments.

I get it. It is hard to see yourself slipping behind and not being able to do anything about it.

That being said, this whole argument is misguided. The problem is this league resorting to a poor solution to address a systemic problem. Why are the teams so mismatched? If we really want to teach ALL kids to play to the best of their ability, we should have them be in the most consistently competititve situations.

The team that plays against ridiculously weak competition does not learn, nor does the team that is not strong enough physically to even be able to get to the point of execution.

When I was in youth football in Cali, we had tryouts and a draft. It kept things more even and we all learned. Now some teams were just better, but we didn't have horrible teams.

My point is, they should be looking at this issue as a systemic problem that can't really be solved by throwing the bandaid of score control on it.

The (whatever sexist term you want to use) ification of America argument is an easy place for guys to go to when they see their A**es getting pummeled by women in academics and entry into business right now.

It is like the guy who said his team sucked so all they could do was cheat and his parents celebrated it.
Wait, what? Now I'm stupid because I played on a crappy club hockey team in 8th grade? I was the guy saying that mercy rules are not a symptom of a (____)-ification of America.

Anyone who's ever had to sit through a youth football game would probably agree that they should end the game as soon as one team gets three or four touchdowns. Because sitting through youth football is just a mind-numbing, soul-crushing experience in its own right. That sh!t should last one quarter, max.

My dearly departed father once told me of going to a violin and cello recital for one of my nieces. As he summarized it:

"The 12 Days of Christmas...As Played by about 40 kids...over a span of 3 1/2 hours...on old, worn-out instruments...and not one of them seemingly in tune"

Clearly youth football should be regulated by the government and audited by the IRS. We cannot have winners and losers in this country, only participants and they should all get ribbons. Why only a $200 fine? I would advocate drone strikes on coaches who win by more than 4 td's as clearly they are national security threats. I am sure most of us have been on both sides of blowouts and losing either makes you want to get better, or quit and join the band (no offense to band dudes).

Clearly youth football should be regulated by the government and audited by the IRS. We cannot have winners and losers in this country, only participants and they should all get ribbons. Why only a $200 fine? I would advocate drone strikes on coaches who win by more than 4 td's as clearly they are national security threats. I am sure most of us have been on both sides of blowouts and losing either makes you want to get better, or quit and join the band (no offense to band dudes).

Well, this thread jumped the derp shark.

Latest posts