Ferentz ranked #33 behind Hoke, Beilema, Dantonio, Meyer by The Sporting News

I don't think Hoke has proved he is that good of coach yet. Michigan always had talent with Rich Rod but for some reason no one on the staff could coach defense. A lot of coaches could have coached Michigan to the record they had last year.

I don't think Hoke has proved he is that good of coach yet. Michigan always had talent with Rich Rod but for some reason no one on the staff could coach defense. A lot of coaches could have coached Michigan to the record they had last year.

Hoke is getting love for his body of work and ability to turn programs around. What he did in his previous two stops was once again reflected at Michigan. And while on one hand it's easy to say a lot of coach could have done it we saw Rodriguez fail three years straight. We've also seen Washington, Nebraska, Notre Dame and numerous big name schools fail with various coaches. So, I don't think it's fair to try and take an accomplishment away from a coach because of what school they are at.

I think Hoke and Dantonio are the only ones I'm dissappointed in.

Hoke hasn't really proved anything yet..

Dantonio.. well.. speaks for itself if you are on these forums often enough..

One of the more puzzling to me in the top 25 was the Vanderbilt coach, Franklin. I know they came off of a 1 win season the year before and won what, 5 or 6 games last year, but I think it's a little premature to rank him that high with no prior HC experience.

Overall, you can argue any list...I wouldn't rank them this way, but it is what it is...a list that will quickly fade once the next list comes along.

I can certainly agree with several of the top guys. Too many coaches with hot names and little track record ranked above guys who have proven themselves for my taste. I'm willing to bet several AD's and Head Coaches would build this list differently as well.

All that really matters is what happens once they step between the lines this fall!

Hoke is getting love for his body of work and ability to turn programs around. What he did in his previous two stops was once again reflected at Michigan. And while on one hand it's easy to say a lot of coach could have done it we saw Rodriguez fail three years straight. We've also seen Washington, Nebraska, Notre Dame and numerous big name schools fail with various coaches. So, I don't think it's fair to try and take an accomplishment away from a coach because of what school they are at.

He didn't get ranked that high because of his previous schools. He got ranked that high because he was Michigan's coach and they went 11-2. Before last year he only had 3 winning seasons as a football coach. Michigan was not much better than the year before. They benefited from an easier schedule and also a better defensive coordinator. Im not saying he is a bad coach but he is overrated as of right now.

He didn't get ranked that high because of his previous schools. He got ranked that high because he was Michigan's coach and they went 11-2. Before last year he only had 3 winning seasons as a football coach. Michigan was not much better than the year before. They benefited from an easier schedule and also a better defensive coordinator. Im not saying he is a bad coach but he is overrated as of right now.

I didn't say he was overrated or underrated. Frankly, I don't care about these kind of rankings anyway...it's opinion, like the other 734 lists that will come out this year.

I am also well aware of his career achievements.

I am just going by what the writer stated:

Kind of hard to believe, isn’t it, that Hoke was a sub-.500 coach pre-Michigan? But he slowly built Ball State into a prime MAC team, then turned San Diego State around more quickly. His first season in Ann Arbor was a mind-blower. It seems Hoke has improved throughout the first decade of his career—and that he’s exactly the right guy at the right time for the Wolverines.

I am not saying going 12-2 at Michigan didn't factor into it. Clearly it did, but he is also getting credit for turning two programs around and seemingly having Michigan back on track.

outside of Dantonio the list is correct

I have no arguments with where KF is ranked for the most part, but Hoke that far up is ludacris.

I think he is going to be a fine B1G coach and will win B1G championships, but he hasn't proved anything yet. He's a .500 career coach who had a cupboard full of athletes left over from RRod.

I can certainly agree with several of the top guys. Too many coaches with hot names and little track record ranked above guys who have proven themselves for my taste. I'm willing to bet several AD's and Head Coaches would build this list differently as well.

My thoughts as well.

I have no arguments with where KF is ranked for the most part, but Hoke that far up is ludacris.

I think he is going to be a fine B1G coach and will win B1G championships, but he hasn't proved anything yet. He's a .500 career coach who had a cupboard full of athletes left over from RRod.

Just a note on the cupboard full of athletes...Michigan recruiting was actually down under Rodriguez's reign to the point that Michigan didn't even rank in the top 25 schools for the 2011 class and don't forget that they had player attrition under his entire tenure as well.

I think Hoke and Dantonio are the only ones I'm dissappointed in.

Hoke hasn't really proved anything yet..

Dantonio.. well.. speaks for itself if you are on these forums often enough..

Hoke has beaten Ohio St once and has one BCS victory in one season as a Big Ten coach.

I'm pretty sure there is a long term Big Ten coach who has the exact same career numbers against OSU and in the BCS.

Just a note on the cupboard full of athletes...Michigan recruiting was actually down under Rodriguez's reign to the point that Michigan didn't even rank in the top 25 schools for the 2011 class and don't forget that they had player attrition under his entire tenure as well.

Look at the Michigan team he took over and compare it to Ferentz's first team. There you go.

Latest posts