Ferentz or the Fans

I think the average fan has given up. We will find out Saturday if the staff and players have as well. As for a fanatic like myself, I still have some optimism for a 3-1 finish.

I don't give up until the fat lady sings...unfortunately she was busy the other night and we were stuck with Demi Lovato butchering the Star Spangled Banner at the World Series...

I think the average fan has given up. We will find out Saturday if the staff and players have as well. As for a fanatic like myself, I still have some optimism for a 3-1 finish.

The indiana game is a must win. I dont think many people see us beating Michigan or Nebby because they have the running QBs, the speed, and types of offenses we have trouble with.

I have not given up on the season. I only expected 7-5 and if we win 2 games, probably indiana and purdue, then we go to a bowl. The central mich game was a first half disaster and terrible loss which may bite us in the ***

I dont care what kind of bowl because the young players need to have the extra practices and the extra game.

I'm not expecting much anymore. I'll be shocked if they beat Indiana. I see only one more win on the season (Purdue) and that's not a given.

If you see Iowa lay an egg in Bloomington this weekend, most if not all fans will have given up at that point. Central Michigan was the start for me, and then the stubborness against Penn St. did it in for me. I've always been a KF supporter, but his big FU to the fans at Penn St. led me to believe that nothing is ever going to change (schemes, adjustments, coaches, and players). I don't expect Iowa to win this weekend, they might win against Purdue at home, but I don't see this team winning more than 5 games. We'll hear the same crap in next weeks presser, and the rest of the season.

The Fry/Ferentz debate gets old, but where I think the fan base is losing it's interest has to do with comparisons. With HF, there was always hope of improvement, until things fell apart his last year. Even then, they played a very good Arizona team nc. The NC losses that were bad losses were almost always by upstart teams such as Colorado, K State and Hawaii. The one bad loss that sticks in my mind was AT Tulsa, which wasn't a very good team but it was on the road. The next year, the Hawks pasted them in revenge by what was by far Tulsa's worst loss of the year.

What is missing is gamesmanship. This is our home turf..... We are supposed to beat you and will..... You will pay for this next year.

What Iowa seems to get is....CMU....bad game oh well we'll do better.....ISU....who cares Minny....bad team good qb we couldn't stop this year or next.... Can't see the clock..... Keep doing the same maddening things rather than scratch where it itches.

I think KF is still completely invested. It does appear he is getting snarky in his comments; likely due from the constant negative nancy-ism that he has to listen to at pressers. I can't blame him, I'd get tired of it too.
I am cautiously optimistic yet for the remainder if the season. I'm hoping for 2-2 at the worst. The toughest pill to swallow is that the remainder of the season depends on JVB's ability to turn it around.
Stick with the Hawks.

I think KF is still completely invested. It does appear he is getting snarky in his comments; likely due from the constant negative nancy-ism that he has to listen to at pressers. I can't blame him, I'd get tired of it too.
I am cautiously optimistic yet for the remainder if the season. I'm hoping for 2-2 at the worst. The toughest pill to swallow is that the remainder of the season depends on JVB's ability to turn it around.
Stick with the Hawks.

That "constant negative nancy-ism" is warranted, is it not? We all know he wants the team to perform better and is trying to get them to do so, but whatever he's doing isn't working. The poor play has been going on longer than the negative comments, maybe he should concentrate on the poor play rather than the negative comments. Change the play and the comments will change, not the other way around.

I've thrown in the towel. This year's team has no pulse and ferentz isn't trying anything to change that.

I've written this season off, pretty much. MAYBE Iowa can get to 6-6 and sneak into some dogmeat bowl game, but that's best case scenario. I'm not even sure if Iowa will win another game this year, honestly. Anything on the road doesn't look promising, and our home games are against Nebraska (not gonna win that one) and Purdue (maybe?). 5-7 is about the most I'm expecting.

I could deal with one bad year. But 2010 was utterly disappointing, last year was just "meh" (7-6, woo hoo), and this year. Thing is, will next year be better? We'll be playing a QB who is getting his first snaps as a college QB. As was stated in the "how did we get here column", 6 players from the 2009 recruiting class, which was ranked 11th out of 11 Big Ten Teams, will likely be starting for us next year. So the talent doesn't look like it will probably improve noticeably next year. Then there's the matter of attrition - will we lose more players this offseason, like has been a pretty regular theme lately?

I'm just not optimistic about the future of the program. Maybe I will be surprised, but I've gotten to the point where 7-5 is about the best I expect out of KF's teams anymore, no matter the level of talent.

Yeah, guess I'm a negative nancy, but I can't help it when the better part of the last 8 years have been either majorly disappointing, or just simply average.

Stick with the Hawks.

You can't be serious. The media at these pressers go in and lob softballs to KF every Tuesday. He does not have to answer any tough questions.

Stick with the Hawks.

This had me rolling on the floor.

1. He hardly gets the screws put to him by the local media. He's got it pretty damn easy compared to many coaches.

2. He gets snarky at the FIRST sign of reporters asking negative questions. This isn't something where he tolerates it for awhile before he finally starts getting snarky. He has a zero-tolerance policy. So do give me the "oh, it's got to wear on him" argument.

This season is a lost cause. The only hope is for bowl eligibility to get the extra practice sessions, even though we will most likely lose the bowl game no matter who we play. The problem with next year is that we dont have a QB that is BIG ten ready (supposedly).

I dont think Kirk has given up, at least i hope not. I just think he is too damn stubborn to admit mistakes in the scheme, personnel, coaches, etc.

Its no secret that KF does not much care for the media (to put it nicely). He's never liked them, so why are we busting his chops about it now?
The questions they're asking him don't outright attempt to nail him to the wall, but can come across as leading. "Are you concerned about this?" "Why are you confident?"
Lets not call them softballs, when some members of the media seem to be asking outright stupid questions. "WHy do you only run hitches?" "Are you guys even close?"
I would be annoyed about it as well, so why would he be over joyed to answer them.
A final point I wanted to toss out...
Had he come out there and called out specific players, showed a lack of confidence in the team to rebound, buy into the negative tone that can come from some of the questions; I feel would have a terrible impact on the teams' confidence. Can some of what he does in these pressers be to protect the football "family"?

Latest posts