Ferentz on Iowa football ...

I'm pretty interested to see what Sherff's (sp?) role ends up being this season. Curious if a young player like that can crack the line-up.

I'm pretty interested to see what Sherff's (sp?) role ends up being this season. Curious if a young player like that can crack the line-up.

Right now I'd probably say that Scherff has a 50-50 chance of cracking the line-up ... maybe better. Right now I see Scherff and MacMillan splitting time initially at the OG spot ... much like Eubanks and Vandervelde split time back in '08. Both guys have pretty high ceilings.

What's wild is that I'm really high on Boffeli too. The fact that Scherff and MacMillan are a little ahead of him is pretty impressive.

I believe with all my heart that if you see the Hawks steadily improve and cohere up through the early part of the B10 sked, you will absolutely see an offense reminiscent of 2002. Pound on the ground and set up some big passing yards. It all starts with the OL, which sounds like it could be very special. You've heard of "Tresselball," now add this to your lexicon: very good OL + adequate skill position players = Ferentzball.

Right now I'd probably say that Scherff has a 50-50 chance of cracking the line-up ... maybe better. Right now I see Scherff and MacMillan splitting time initially at the OG spot ... much like Eubanks and Vandervelde split time back in '08. Both guys have pretty high ceilings.

What's wild is that I'm really high on Boffeli too. The fact that Scherff and MacMillan are a little ahead of him is pretty impressive.

You will probably see Bofelli in the lineup sooner rather than later. If Reiff goes pro we will see some interesting things happen next year. We have more depth at OL than I have seen.

Reiff staying-

LT- Reiff
LG- Schreff
C- Ferentz
RG- MacMillan
RT- Van Sloten

Reiff Going-

LT- MacMillan/Schreff
LG-MacMillan/Schreff
C-Ferentz
RG- Bofelli
RT- Van Sloten

You will probably see Bofelli in the lineup sooner rather than later. If Reiff goes pro we will see some interesting things happen next year. We have more depth at OL than I have seen.

Reiff staying-

LT- Reiff
LG- Schreff
C- Ferentz
RG- MacMillan
RT- Van Sloten

Reiff Going-

LT- MacMillan/Schreff
LG-MacMillan/Schreff
C-Ferentz
RG- Bofelli
RT- Van Sloten

I wouldn't count out Tobin either ... I've heard some good things about him too. Furthermore, I liked what I saw when he was in as a back-up.

Also, by the time '12 rolls around, Heiar will be back in the picture ... and he could figure into things too. The battle for spots on the '12 OL will be REALLY interesting if Reiff departs early!

Person I spoke with this weekend, that's close to the situation, said that KMM is the clear #3 & that the clock is ticking on Jordan Cotton a bit (mentally, in particular). Said that Marcus? Grant has already impressed in informal throwing w/JVB...

Homer: MacMillan split time? I usually agree with you, but if Mac is healthy, no way he splits time. Basically, everything that went wrong with Iowa on offense last year can be tied to Mac being out of the lineup.

AZ - they platoon Gettis in for Mac on the key late 4th quarter series. He misses stunt, and Stanzi gets creamed. Next play pressure up the middle and he gets creamed again.

Didn't play in any other loss except at NW. But he wasn't in that game when the wheels came off.

Seriously, the argument could be made that he was the most significant injury loss of the season.
Seriously.

Reiff staying-

LT- Reiff
LG- Schreff
C- Ferentz
RG- MacMillan
RT- Van Sloten

Reiff Going-

LT- MacMillan/Schreff
LG-MacMillan/Schreff
C-Ferentz
RG- Bofelli
RT- Van Sloten

How about Donnel?

Homer: MacMillan split time? I usually agree with you, but if Mac is healthy, no way he splits time. Basically, everything that went wrong with Iowa on offense last year can be tied to Mac being out of the lineup.

AZ - they platoon Gettis in for Mac on the key late 4th quarter series. He misses stunt, and Stanzi gets creamed. Next play pressure up the middle and he gets creamed again.

Didn't play in any other loss except at NW. But he wasn't in that game when the wheels came off.

Seriously, the argument could be made that he was the most significant injury loss of the season.
Seriously.

CAARHawk -

Gettis was just getting back to health and was put in at the end in order to match up better against the speed that AZ put in on the interior. Obviously, we still didn't manage to match up to them personnel-wise at that time. Of course, I'd put that more on the fact that our OL was still coming together.

Anyhow, I totally agree with you about Nolan MacMillan ... that is, I was really impressed with his play for a RS FR too.

However, that said, MacMillan has suffered enough untimely injuries that that has held back his development, at least a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I still expect very good things from Nolan ... but I'm not going to heap expectations on him prematurely either.

From what I've already gathered, Scherff is just a pretty impressive guy ... and it's not going to be automatic for MacMillan to wrestle a spot away from him. What's especially cool is that I've been high on MacMillan from the outset ... and I'm really pleasantly surprised that the level of competition is so high on our OL currently. Unfortunately, due to injuries and whatnot, our depth on the OL wasn't nearly as good from '04-'07. Thank goodness it's back to where it "should be."

How about Donnel?

It's still early concerning Donnal. Frankly, Scherff is jumping onto the scene a year sooner than I would have originally have anticipated.

Back to question, I frankly haven't heard much good or bad about Donnal. He's just going to have to continue forging forward development-wise. He's definitely a kid with a nice foundations to build upon.

Latest posts