Ferentz on AJ Derby Position Change

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Q. Might A.J. Derby change positions if he isn’t first quarterback?
COACH FERENTZ: We’ve had conversations. We recruited him under the premise that he would be a quarterback. Part of it was, too, we wanted to see him on the field, see how he’d progress and improve. He’s done a nice job. We’ve had that conversation. He fully wants to compete for the job. We’re onboard with that ’cause, you know, he’s got I think a lot of upside.
Probably the question down the road is if he’s not the firstteam quarterback, will he play on special teams. That’s a conversation we’ll have to have. But I think he can help us, could have helped us last year. I don’t think it would have been wise to burn his year last year to put him out there as much as he probably or maybe could have helped us. Speculating a little bit.

Anyone sense a transfer coming? Unless he really burns it up this spring, AJ is going to be backup and more likely No. 3 QB this year and next. If that's the position he really wants, he's got a huge hill to climb here.

Anyone sense a transfer coming? Unless he really burns it up this spring, AJ is going to be backup and more likely No. 3 QB this year and next. If that's the position he really wants, he's got a huge hill to climb here.

I'm not sure if that would be the case. He may have been recruited to play at QB but I am sure somebody at one point told him that there may be other positions for him too. All they have to do is have McNutt talk to him.

I think if he is 3rd string coming out of August camp that he will make the position change. He has already red shirt and would have to sit out a year if he transferred, unless he goes to an FCS school.

Would be nice to see such a great looking athlete on the field in anyway. If it were me I would want to see the field no matter what position I'm playing.

A transfer makes no sense unless it's to a D2 school. As already stated he'd lose a year of eligibility as he's burned a RS already.

The kid's a life long Iowa fan, I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying that for him...

Starting at another position>Backup QB>Starting QB at some D2 school

A transfer makes no sense unless it's to a D2 school. As already stated he'd lose a year of eligibility as he's burned a RS already.

The kid's a life long Iowa fan, I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying that for him...

Starting at another position>Backup QB>Starting QB at some D2 school

QFT

I dont think we are the kind of team that can win while having our best athletes buried in the depth chart. Derby is one of our best athletes, I think he could be pushing for PT right now at another position.

You guys will probably call me crazy, but I'd like to see what CJF could at DE as well, with the talent we have at TE and our history of developing talent there, I think we would be alright. Plus you can't develop size like he has.

I dont think we are the kind of team that can win while having our best athletes buried in the depth chart. Derby is one of our best athletes, I think he could be pushing for PT right now at another position.

You guys will probably call me crazy, but I'd like to see what CJF could at DE as well, with the talent we have at TE and our history of developing talent there, I think we would be alright. Plus you can't develop size like he has.

Disagree. From a size and build standpoint, CJ Fed is a prototypical TE. Would like to see him push for the starting spot this fall. Think he'll be something special.

He's not gonna transfer. They will find a spot for him. He grew up a Hawkeye. It's not like he's from Florida. And was on the edge about coming to IA.

He's gonna move...but the coaches aren't going to force him to do it. Sometimes it takes a kid longer to see the handwriting on the wall than others. In this case, getting Ruddock on campus may be the final straw.

There are good opportunities to compete at both TE & LB & I'm glad to know they're already thinking special teams...

I bet we see him move to Leo LB.

If the kid is competitive as publicly it appears he is .. he is going to want to play. If LB spot opens up and if Ruddock is as good as advertised ... he will move.

If the kid is competitive as publicly it appears he is .. he is going to want to play. If LB spot opens up and if Ruddock is as good as advertised ... he will move.

This is really the end all as far as I am concerned. Rudock looks to be a good QB, one who actually comes from a high school that runs a pro style offense, and one that probably doesn't have a future at any other position. Derby also looks like he could be a good QB however needs to learn our pro style system and has the ability to be positioned elsewhere on the field.

So in 2013 when Vandy and Weinke are gone, it's going to come down to Rudock and Derby. If Derby were to win, which on one side of the coin would mean Derby really improved, then Rudock would sit on the bench until he is a senior. If Rudock wins the spot, then Derby would be moved to a position where he could still make a big impact at.

I also think this is what will happen, it's the best thing for Derby and for the team.

"QFT

QUOTED FOR TRUTH

Used on internet forums when quoting someone with similar views as yours."

Guess I'll just stick to "agreed" from now on.

Latest posts