'Ferentz Never Goes for It'

Marcus Coker gained 1 or more yards in 31 of his 35 attempts.

Furthermore - He gained 1 or more yards in his final 14 attempts.

He averaged 4 yards per carry. It was the 3rd overtime. ISU's defensive line was tired.

It doesn't matter what has happened in the past.... You go for it.

Maybe people need to change their statements to "Ferentz goes for it at the wrong times and doesn't go for it when he should."

You go for it in Ames in that situation.

The sad thing is no matter how you slice it we failed at the player level, training level, coaching level, and preparation level to win this game.

At minimum try a "hard count" and see if you can draw the defense offsides...with that said the strength of the team is suppose to be the offensive line and a 234 lb running back, they should get you one yard...and if not at least you tried...and that is the sad part they didn't even get that chance...

I am wondering if 2008 Michigan State wasn't going through his mind?

Kirk has an air tight memory...and he plays things out over and over and over.

Remember 2008?

Iowa at Michigan State...early 4th quarter down three, in field goal range, 4th and 2...Iowa goes for it, Ricky Stanzi's pass falls incomplete

Late 4th quarter, Iowa at the MSU 21 yard line down three...4th and 1...Iowa goes for it, fullback runs the wrong way, Shonn Greene is stopped for a loss, and that is the ballgame....

You can't say he doens't go for it in situations like that...you can always debate the should he or shouldnt he in hindsight, but I am guessing he remembered that game and it was running through his thoughts...now, he had a much better defense in 2008, and I wanted to see him go for it this weekend on 4th and 1 given the circumstances of this game that had played out.

But, he has gone for it before in tight spots.

I was thinking about this very same thing today. I was at the game and thought going for it was the right thing to do.

I think the consenus is that if we go for it at the end of regulation and fail, we have the opportunity of a second chance in OT. In OT we get only have one opportunity. I for one would be much more confident knowing that if I tried and failed once I'd get another shot in OT.

Can we get Tom Brands to be on the hawkeye sidelines?
ISU had emotion on their sideline and they used it. Lets be honest here... talent wise they are probably sub par. That why you see their sideline erupting all over the place. They gotta get that emotion out to help them get a win. I don't want Bo Pelini or Mike Stoops crap but how about a little fire?

It's funny because when Iowas was up 10-0 ISU players seemed to be teetering on losing that emotion. Their body language was changing. When they downed that punt inside the 5, I felt Iowa chose to give them back that emotion by running the ball 3 straight times up the middle.

I din't have a problem running on first down to get some breathing room, but everyone in the stadium could see ISU bringing everything to stop the run on 2nd. I felt that to be the turning point in the game. We seemed to be content to play for the punt and hand over field position.

I would love to see Ferentz 1 time to step on the opponents throat and push the accelerator forward. Why do I get the feeling he plays 'nice' once in awhile.

I know I might be conservative, but I also like Steve Spurriers approach to coaching. That is to step on it and go. Remember, it is the other teams priority to stop you. WE ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS TO HELP THE OTHER TEAM OUT!!

Also, I bet if KOK was told for two games to run the offense how he sees fit, I bet we would see +40 points the next two games because he realizes what we have for WR.

But I'm not the coach, so I'll sit back and be a fan:)

I would love to see Ferentz 1 time to step on the opponents throat and push the accelerator forward. Why do I get the feeling he plays 'nice' once in awhile.

I know I might be conservative, but I also like Steve Spurriers approach to coaching. That is to step on it and go. Remember, it is the other teams priority to stop you. WE ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS TO HELP THE OTHER TEAM OUT!!

Also, I bet if KOK was told for two games to run the offense how he sees fit, I bet we would see +40 points the next two games because he realizes what we have for WR.

But I'm not the coach, so I'll sit back and be a fan:)

I was at the Georgia / South Carolina game on Saturday. SC won because Spurrier showed some balls and played to his strengths. His team didn't play that well, but he made decisions to try to help his team win and it took some balls to call some things that would have been widely unpopular to their fan base had they backfired. Fake punt on your own 30 and snapping it to a DE at 270 who runs it in for six? That took nuts.

If his team hasn't played well, do you think he sits on the last 1:17 with two timeouts. Hell no, he feels he's got more reason to go for it because he shouldn't be in that position...it's destiny. He would have taken the chances to get in field goal range and win the thing with the overtime process.

The other thing he did is figure out ways to get the ball into Lattimore's hands as much as possible. Screens, shuttle passes, and runs...but the ball went to his best player. And when they needed it, it went to Jeffries in the passing game. How the hell does McNutt get four touches in a game like this? I get Coker's touches...wear them down and keep your defense off the field as long as possible...but I don't get not getting the ball to McNutt in some creative ways.

Latest posts