Ferentz interview

There will be a ton of talent back in 2016? Really? Can I get a list of who that might be?

Offense
CJ
Watley
Daniels
Mitchell
Boetinger
Myers
Welch
Kittle
Vandeburg
Wisnieski
Parker

Defense
J Johnson
Ekatite
Bazata
Nelson
Bower
Neiman
Jewell
Mabin
King
Taylor or Snyder or Gair

There is a good nucleus of players coming back in 2016 especially on defense. Certainly, we need some young players to step up this year to look at 2016 with a positive attitude...but several of these players are going to get their first chance in 2015...so it bodes well in 2016. When you throw in several WR's that could make strides, Scheel, Parker...we will have some speed. There is a great group of young OL who have already gotten some mention...james daniels for example.

WOTC, I completely disagree with your first item. kfootball is Iowa's head FOOTBALL coach, not lead fundraiser, or assistant AD. His job is to win football games and any other priority placed in front of winning games is derelict.

my apologies...the sarcasm didn't read well there. I don't think we should be cutting KF any slack for hanging the drapes in the new facility. The fact that he said he got distracted by it, well, kind of concerns me.

The only good thing I took away from the interview is that he acknowledges that he is aware of fan dissatisfaction. The bad thing I took away from the interview were to many to bother with to list but the one that really gets my blood up is this "damn everything it's my way or the highway" mind set by this coach. That's what he is indicating but when you look at how the quarterback situation went down you can believe he is feeling the heat. I know what Barta is saying in public but do I need to remind everyone how he said is was fully supportive of Lickliter two or three weeks before he canned his azz?

my apologies...the sarcasm didn't read well there. I don't think we should be cutting KF any slack for hanging the drapes in the new facility. The fact that he said he got distracted by it, well, kind of concerns me.

Hangs his head in embarrassment slowly walks away. I should have known.:eek:

The only good thing I took away from the interview is that he acknowledges that he is aware of fan dissatisfaction. The bad thing I took away from the interview were to many to bother with to list but the one that really gets my blood up is this "damn everything it's my way or the highway" mind set by this coach. That's what he is indicating but when you look at how the quarterback situation went down you can believe he is feeling the heat. I know what Barta is saying in public but do I need to remind everyone how he said is was fully supportive of Lickliter two or three weeks before he canned his azz?[/QUOTE]

That makes this an interesting quote from the article:

"If it gets to the point where I really can't do this job successfully, somebody is going to let me know," Ferentz said. "I know that. Somebody that has that decision-making authority. That's how sports works."

Has kfootball ever put a number of wins in a season that he believes equates to a successful season?

Typical KF he must not watch much film on the spread. His simple minded analysis was you don't see spread teams throwing the ball down the field that often. Duhhhh no Kirk but they run plays every 12 seconds and don't allow D's to substitute so they put their players in advantages you could only dream of you dolt. Sometimes his analysis is as dense as his running calls on offense.

The only good thing I took away from the interview is that he acknowledges that he is aware of fan dissatisfaction. The bad thing I took away from the interview were to many to bother with to list but the one that really gets my blood up is this "damn everything it's my way or the highway" mind set by this coach. That's what he is indicating but when you look at how the quarterback situation went down you can believe he is feeling the heat. I know what Barta is saying in public but do I need to remind everyone how he said is was fully supportive of Lickliter two or three weeks before he canned his azz?[/QUOTE]

That makes this an interesting quote from the article:

"If it gets to the point where I really can't do this job successfully, somebody is going to let me know," Ferentz said. "I know that. Somebody that has that decision-making authority. That's how sports works."

Has kfootball ever put a number of wins in a season that he believes equates to a successful season?

Typical Ferentz I would say for the size of your paycheck 19-19 versus some pretty weak schedules ISN'T getting the job done. Kirk probably advocates no keeping score either so no one for sure knows who wins because at his level winning isn't that important it's how we play.

What Kirk is saying in that long interview is, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
It's funny in that KF really needed Barta to be dumb enough to give him that contract in 2010. Now Barta really needs KF to pull a rabbit out of his hat to salvage Barta's career. This is where "Division 1 Contract Negotiation" would have been a good course for Barta to take. After all, what motivation does a man (KF) with a 24K gold parachute have for a man like Barta? He knows Barta's a rube that he took advantage of.

Watch the way Hayden coaches to win throughout the entire game....think he would have sat on the ball at the Shoe in 2009? Pfffftt....no way! Kurt sucks the life out of everything...year after year no matter the competition, he coaches like he is nursing a 3 point lead in the National Championship game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JLYzAS8kwk

Hugely disappointing series of statements:

A more aggressive offensive attack won't be part of the new-look Hawkeyes.
"My suggestion would be it's more about how you play than the style of play you choose," Ferentz said.
"Look at Wisconsin and Michigan State, two teams that we need to be able to compete with. The way they play seems to be working pretty good for them."
Ferentz can already hear the grumbling over those words.
"I've read a lot about throwing the ball deep," Ferentz said. "Heaven forbid, why would you do that? Everyone wants to spread. Do a throw chart on spread offenses. How many balls are going downfield? Twenty years ago it was the run-and-shoot, right? Or the Buddy Ryan defense. Whatever's the flavor of the day."

To this I would say that the "How" to the "Style" Iowa runs is ultra-conservative and debilitating at times. I simply do not understand this man's OCD-like level of risk aversion. It makes easy to defend and to be attacked. Very disappointing if we really remain status quo.

We will throw deep more often than the last few years. There were plays designed for Jake to throw deep, or even mid range throws but he didn't feel confident enough in his arm to throw them so he checked down. Not the case with CJ. So, not by design but by a player with superior arm strength will we throw more deep this year.

Some of the most encouraging comments from KF in a long time. Maybe ever.

I wish I could get there with you, golfer. But to me, this is what the article said:

* Hey Iowa fans, remember me? I a good person that raises a lot of money for the UI Hospitals.
* I know fans aren't happy. There were before. We need to win games. Coaches get fired for not winning; except for me, of course.
* Only Gary Barta can fire me and I'm not concerned about the fans anger.
* I'm not going to change my philosophies.

I wish I could get there with you, golfer. But to me, this is what the article said:

* Hey Iowa fans, remember me? I a good person that raises a lot of money for the UI Hospitals.
* I know fans aren't happy. There were before. We need to win games. Coaches get fired for not winning; except for me, of course.
* Only Gary Barta can fire me and I'm not concerned about the fans anger.
* I'm not going to change my philosophies.

Wow! Thats what you got from the interview? I guess when you don't like a guy...

I don't know about that. That's a lot of reading between the lines.

Golfer, there was zero reading between the lines on my part. Below are excerpts from the article.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...sed-iowa-turnaround-not-retirement/30627881/

"Everybodywas happy a couple of years ago," Ferentz said. "If you're going todo this, be prepared for some ebbs and flows. What's important is what can wedo to get everybody happy again? We want to put smiles on faces."
Ferentz acknowledges the drumbeatfor change. The best way to listen to the noise, he said, is with a deaf ear.
"If you do (listen), all youtake away is what you're trying to accomplish," Ferentz said. "Thatwould be cheating our players, and cheating our staff. And, ultimately,cheating our fans if I was worried about all that stuff."
For all the good hedoes, whether it's raising money for University Hospitals with his wife, Mary,getting his players to graduate at a positive rate or avoiding NCAA scandals,Ferentz knows the win-loss record is a coach's defining statistic.
"If it gets to the pointwhere I really can't do this job successfully, somebody is going to let meknow," Ferentz said. "I know that. Somebody that has thatdecision-making authority. That's how sports works."
A more aggressiveoffensive attack won't be part of the new-look Hawkeyes.
"My suggestion would be it'smore about how you play than the style of play you choose," Ferentz said.
"Look at Wisconsin andMichigan State, two teams that we need to be able to compete with. The way theyplay seems to be working pretty good for them."
Ferentz can already hear thegrumbling over those words.
"I've read a lot aboutthrowing the ball deep," Ferentz said. "Heaven forbid, why would youdo that? Everyone wants to spread. Do a throw chart on spread offenses. Howmany balls are going downfield? Twenty years ago it was the run-and-shoot,right? Or the Buddy Ryan defense. Whatever's the flavor of the day."

Wow! Thats what you got from the interview? I guess when you don't like a guy...

Yes, and it has nothing to do with liking or not liking the man. I don't know him personally, so I can't form a judgment. All reports, though, are that he's a very nice man.

But he is also the head football coach who has made $20 mil the past 5 seasons and produced a 34-30 (19-21) record.

Latest posts