Ferentz all in on Davis?

BILLBUCKNER

It sure looks that way. He must have an awful lot of faith in Davis. Looks like from the type of WR they recruited this year he is rolling the dice on him.

It sure looks that way. He must have an awful lot of faith in Davis. Looks like from the type of WR they recruited this year he is rolling the dice on him.

I thought it looked that way too when Kirk said he was coming back after his 1 year contract.

Haaaaayoooooo ......anyways. He knows he doesnt get another shot. Plus its not like he didnt know the Davis offense before it got here so either way it doesnt matter. Thats why Ive started to call him kirk davis. This will be his downfall as you cant blame KOK anymore and Norm aint comin back. Itll be nice to have a new coach but its sure too bad that Iowa football is going to have about 10 bad years in arow before people finally see it and make a change.

Let's put it this way...if the offense doesn't have a slew of injuries, or everyone stays healthy and we look anything like we did last year...Davis is two and done. Kinnick will come unglued on game day watching our offensive ineptitude. I'm thinking the first 3rd and 5 and we throw a 2 yard out pass to our slowest TE pretty much starts the boo birds.

That being said...I think people are underestimating the interior people we have coming back. If we can find a QB who can play and someone who can catch it...I think we will be pretty good offensively.

Haaaaayoooooo ......anyways. He knows he doesnt get another shot. Plus its not like he didnt know the Davis offense before it got here so either way it doesnt matter. Thats why Ive started to call him kirk davis. This will be his downfall as you cant blame KOK anymore and Norm aint comin back. Itll be nice to have a new coach but its sure too bad that Iowa football is going to have about 10 bad years in arow before people finally see it and make a change.

Blame KOK? After last season, I am ready to give KOK a medal.

You know...I've thought about KF being all in Greg Davis...I don't like the picture quite frankly and I believe a thread like this should never be allowed the light of day.

Blame KOK? After last season, I am ready to give KOK a medal.

I said you cant blame KOK anymore- meaning he wasnt the problem as I said for the last three years. KOK won a NC running the spread. Kirk went out and found a more conservative OC. So now we know that it wasnt KOK screwing things up.

You know, I hope KF gets the exact coaching staff that he wants. I hope that last year was just a transition year, and that this next season he will have the right set of coaches and players to fit everybody's philosophy and talent. I'm going into this next season with an open mind.

Who says a conservative coaching style can't win? Let's see what GD can really do.

Northwestern
CMU
Minnesota
WMU
Indiana
Purdue
Iowa State

Those schools say you cant win with conservative coach like kirk davis. However those are powerhouse programs that dont face the recruiting challenges that Ioway does.

He is recruiting smaller faster recievers that hopefully can make a move and get up field for big gains..He let Campbell go. Instead of the 6' 3" WR that Campbell likes and a vertical passing game that gets a big gain. Davis brings in a QB from Texas that hopefully is a better fit for what he wants to do. So it looks like KF is going to live or die with what Davis wants to do.

What would "partway in" look like?

Hard to believe, I know, but I was making a serious point.

A competent head coach is either "all in" with a coordinator, fully committed, or he should let him go. Period. There can't be a middle ground if you want to succeed, this game is too competitive.

Ironically, some people last season criticized Ferentz for *not* being fully committed to GD's offense, but asking Greg to graft GD concepts onto traditional Iowa concepts*. Similar things were said of KF/KOK before that. I've been critical of certain aspects of Kirk's performance, but have to chuckle at how he gets nailed from both sides on some issues. Losing will do that, people tend to overreact and declare EVERYTHING broken.

*what's the difference between that, and "adjusting to the personnel you have"? a fine line indeed.

I think they are trying to recruit speen at WR period. The big guys get picked up so they're getting the little jets instead - not compromising on speed. Don't think they are grabing these guys because the are short per se.

Latest posts