Favorite Football Game?

My number 1 in person was 02 purdon't game close second would be capital one Lsu game. Tv has to be the 85 Michigan game

Yep, after your program has been down for a long time it's a very good step when the losses are painful again. I knew it was a sign of good things to come.

When's the last time Iowa basketball had a painful loss? Northwestern St?

I remember that game well, and seemed to be a sign that we were never going to get over the hump again.

A brutal game that we absolutely handed to a mediocre Michigan team.

Does it have to be an Iowa game?

This years Notre Dame/Michigan game is in my top 10. Quite possibly with last years Arizona/ASU. Oh and Texas/Texas Tech back in 08, no matter how crappy the ending was.

Best 2 games i have attended--1985 Michigan game (#1 vs #2) and 1976 at Penn State (Hawks pull off 7-6 upset and the silence in Happy Valley was deafening!). Best TV game is Cap One.

1990 @illinois. Illinois rated 5th and top defense in the country. We put 28 on them in the first quarter and destroy them and every man, woman, and child near them. Best overall performance I've ever seen in a big game.

All-time, probably Iowa-Michigan State from 1985. Just a sensational, back-and-forth, thoroughly entertaining game with a great, classic ending that saved our ***** as the #1 team in the country and set up probably my 2nd favorite game ever, the clash with #2 Michigan, the very next week. (Might have had a bye the next week, and Mich was the week after, either way).

My top 3 of the KF era would be the 6-4 game at PSU, the Indiana game in 2009 when we were undefeated and were looking at certain defeat before the crazy pick 6 by myself and then the incredible 4th Q, and then the 2008 PSU game.

#1 Would be the #2/#1 Michigan game the excitement around that was unbelievable. #2 would be the 2008 Penn State Game I stood in virtually the same seats next to my college roomate for that one as I did for the 1985 #1/#2 game. I would also throw in the 85 Iowa/MSU game with Chuck going around the end for the wind. That game was played in some terrible weather but was awesome. Also sat in the old knothole section for the resumption of the Iowa/ISU series in 1978 which we won 12-10 I believe...... many more but those are the ones that spring to mind.....

Without question, it had to be Iowa 36 Michigan State 7 in 1981.

That was a quite a day - we had a little hand held TV with us in the stands (you could do that stuff back then) and we saw Art Schlichter of Ohio State on a 3rd down play run a nifty option and score a late TD to beat Michigan. The Michigan loss meant that Iowa, with a win over MSU, would go to the Rose Bowl.

You could feel the electricity go through the stadium as the fans realized that Michigan had lost and that the impossible dream really could come true. Remember, this was a program that had suffered 20 consecutive losing seasons. Nobody saw this coming. No one. It was a complete thrill ride.

Iowa went on to crush the Spartans and punch their ticket to the Rose Bowl. It still brings chills down my spine 30 years later. The euphoria in that stadium surpassed anything I have ever seen since that game.

2004 Wisconsin and it's not even close....before the game the PA Announcer announced the result of OSU-Michigan and everyone in the stadium knew that it meant that Iowa and Wisconsin were playing for a Big Ten title. The game was electric and with the considine interceptions...I still get goose bumps thinking about that game and the celebration in the stadium following. Kind of bummed there will never be another moment like it with the advent of the BIG title game.

But the 2008-09 PSU games are up there too...as well as "The Catch" or Purdue in 02, oh OR Wisconsin in 03 I believe it was!!

Last edited:
2004 Wisconsin and it's not even close....before the game the PA Announcer announced the result of OSU-Michigan and everyone in the stadium knew that it meant that Iowa and Wisconsin were playing for a Big Ten title. The game was electric and with the considine interceptions...I still get goose bumps thinking about that game and the celebration in the stadium following. Kind of bummed there will never be another moment like it with the advent of the BIG title game.

But the 2008-09 PSU games are up there too...as well as "The Catch" or Purdue in 02, oh OR Wisconsin in 03 I believe it was!!

Totally agreed about 2004 Wisconsin. Started the day with a small chance at the B10 title, ended the day with a trophy presentation on the field. Close game going into the half turned into a celebratory beatdown. Wife and I were in tears.

Your other mentions are also high on my list.

A rare video of the 2004 B10 trophy presentation that I stumbled upon on youtube. only 113 views.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlwx8SmWwTk&list=FLbiabzi5vLASA7OBQgVGCLQ&index=3&feature=plpp_video]Iowa-Wisc 2004 - YouTube[/ame]

Without question, it had to be Iowa 36 Michigan State 7 in 1981.

That was a quite a day - we had a little hand held TV with us in the stands (you could do that stuff back then) and we saw Art Schlichter of Ohio State on a 3rd down play run a nifty option and score a late TD to beat Michigan. The Michigan loss meant that Iowa, with a win over MSU, would go to the Rose Bowl.

You could feel the electricity go through the stadium as the fans realized that Michigan had lost and that the impossible dream really could come true. Remember, this was a program that had suffered 20 consecutive losing seasons. Nobody saw this coming. No one. It was a complete thrill ride.

Iowa went on to crush the Spartans and punch their ticket to the Rose Bowl. It still brings chills down my spine 30 years later. The euphoria in that stadium surpassed anything I have ever seen since that game.

That's an awesome story! I remember reading about that in Hayden's book and thinking how cool it would've been to be a part of that. Unfortunately it was a little before my time as I was only 1 year old but I'm sure it was a pivotal cog in my fandom as I have no doubt it helped solidify many of my family members as Hawk fans who helped groom me into the fanatic I am today!

Without a doubt, my favorite game is the '05 Cap One Bowl. Tate to Halloway was definitely one of the greatest moments of my life, sitting in the student section (opposite end zone), you could see the whole play develop and when Warren went into the end zone, you could see the entire Iowa side of the stands absolutely explode! Hats, cups, trash, etc. flying everywhere. I just went nuts, hugging people I didn't even know. I fell down 3 rows of bleachers. Unreal experience. I remember my phone blowing up after the game from friends and family saying how lucky I was to be there to witness that game in person. As a student, that game set me back quite a bit financially but it was absolutely worth every penny!

1-2005 Cap. One Bowl

2-2002 IA- Minny Never laughed so hard as I was standing on field watching goal post being carried up bleachers. (Yes we used to beat Minny)

3-IA-MSU 1981 Clinched Rose Bowl. Tickets $11. 4 of us went to game, 3 came home. Lost track of 1 when we rushed field and could not find him. Before cell phones. He made the 240 mile trip home 3 days later.

Last edited:
Of the games I have attended, '04 Wisconsin is probably the most fun I have had watching a game, but, had Iowa won vs Wisconsin last season, that would easily be my most favorite game.

'05 Capital One Bowl, and '08 vs PSU are the best games I have seen on TV

Last edited:
I have to admit that one of my all-time favorite games was this year's Pitt game. We were down 24-3 and I was ready to walk out of the stadium. Somehow we came back and won that game, playing a no-huddle offense that was very effective.

What a game that was.

That's an awesome story! I remember reading about that in Hayden's book and thinking how cool it would've been to be a part of that. Unfortunately it was a little before my time as I was only 1 year old but I'm sure it was a pivotal cog in my fandom as I have no doubt it helped solidify many of my family members as Hawk fans who helped groom me into the fanatic I am today!

Without a doubt, my favorite game is the '05 Cap One Bowl. Tate to Halloway was definitely one of the greatest moments of my life, sitting in the student section (opposite end zone), you could see the whole play develop and when Warren went into the end zone, you could see the entire Iowa side of the stands absolutely explode! Hats, cups, trash, etc. flying everywhere. I just went nuts, hugging people I didn't even know. I fell down 3 rows of bleachers. Unreal experience. I remember my phone blowing up after the game from friends and family saying how lucky I was to be there to witness that game in person. As a student, that game set me back quite a bit financially but it was absolutely worth every penny!
A funny memory of that day - with about 2 minutes left we started to see roses being thrown out of the press box. Hundreds and hundreds of them. Apparently somebody had bought the roses before the game, hoping for the Ohio State win and then an Iowa victory over Michigan State. It happened and the roses started coming out of the press box. Hilarious.

Latest posts