Fast Iowa Linebackers Could Help Make Up for Inexperienced D-Line

Only if they can shed blocks.

Agreed.

Deace and I interviewed Kirk back in 2005, before the start of the season, and asked him if he'd rather have an experienced DL and new LB or an experienced set of LB and new DL. He said something like "Well, since I have the experienced LB's, maybe I should say that," but he certainly wasn't selling it. Give me an experienced and stout DL over speedy or great LB's if I had the choice, every day of the week.

There is very little you can do and not expose yourself elsewhere with a DL that isn't up to speed.

There is no way they can sit back and play their base deep shell, Iowa will get shredded. This year more than any other they really need to mix it up on defense with many different looks. They're sitting ducks if they think they can play straight up like they have in the past.

D-Line will need to stunt to gaps to try to force the O-Line to double team them to keep them out of the back field. If the D-line is successful with this tactic the LB's will have a better chance to use their speed. If the D-line isn't successful it could be katy bar the door as large holes will open in the line so at that time you hope the LAW is able to lay some wood.

Everyone is correct to be leary of Iowa's D-line coming into the season. The facts are clear. But there is reason to be at least cautiously optimistic. The key to the season overall is staying healthy. If the football gods can allow that, then Iowa, given the weak schedule, could surprise with at least a 9-3 sesason. Here's why:

1 - Coaching. As some have intelligently indicated, a less predictable offense mixed with a more aggressive and less predictable defense can overcome some degree of talent/depth deficiencies. It seems this newly molded coaching staff finally gets that. Perhaps as much as any season in the Ferentz era, in-game coaching will be critical.

2 - Players. Again, if Iowa stays healthy, the players seem ready to make the most of new opportunities on both sides of the ball. Creative, aggressive coaching can go a long way toward building a winning attitude and, to some degree, overcome other shortcomings.

3 - Overall attitude. The handcuffs may not be off, but they seem to be much looser. Coach Ferentz seems rejuvenated by the adjustments and additions to the staff. He may be having fun again, in spite of himself. Even most NFL teams realize that the game has to be fun. Perhaps Kirk's business-like attitude will give in, just a little, to the fun this season.

Finally, I believe the D-line will surprise people on the positive side and that Coach Ferentz will look like a genius for having moved Coach Morgan to that side of the ball.

It boils down to the approach of the coaching staff and to keeping the Hawkeyes healthy. Good health and aggressive coaching could combine to make this a far more enjoyable and successful season than many anticipate.

Everyone is correct to be leary of Iowa's D-line coming into the season. The facts are clear. But there is reason to be at least cautiously optimistic. The key to the season overall is staying healthy. If the football gods can allow that, then Iowa, given the weak schedule, could surprise with at least a 9-3 sesason. Here's why:

1 - Coaching. As some have intelligently indicated, a less predictable offense mixed with a more aggressive and less predictable defense can overcome some degree of talent/depth deficiencies. It seems this newly molded coaching staff finally gets that. Perhaps as much as any season in the Ferentz era, in-game coaching will be critical.

2 - Players. Again, if Iowa stays healthy, the players seem ready to make the most of new opportunities on both sides of the ball. Creative, aggressive coaching can go a long way toward building a winning attitude and, to some degree, overcome other shortcomings.

3 - Overall attitude. The handcuffs may not be off, but they seem to be much looser. Coach Ferentz seems rejuvenated by the adjustments and additions to the staff. He may be having fun again, in spite of himself. Even most NFL teams realize that the game has to be fun. Perhaps Kirk's business-like attitude will give in, just a little, to the fun this season.

Finally, I believe the D-line will surprise people on the positive side and that Coach Ferentz will look like a genius for having moved Coach Morgan to that side of the ball.

It boils down to the approach of the coaching staff and to keeping the Hawkeyes healthy. Good health and aggressive coaching could combine to make this a far more enjoyable and successful season than many anticipate.

Good post... I agree with everything that you mentioned. However, I would add one more thing to your list of reasons to be optimistic about the d-line: Competition. Iowa's d-line really won't be facing that many elite offensive lines this year. By the time they get to the point where they are facing the better offensive lines on their schedule they will have had several games to try and develop some momentum. I think the Hawkeyes schedule is a huge advantage for a young team.

It'll all depend on how quickly the DL learns and are physical enough to contain the OL... If the OL can get to the LBs cleanly, then it's going to be a long day for the defense. When PSU had those two great LBs (can't remember the year), their defense really struggled due to a weak DL.

From what I've gleaned Iowa's going to emphasize the two-gap technique on the DL this year. The strategy being to keep the blockers off the LB, and let them make plays while the DL clogs up the running lanes.

My suspicion we see a lot more LB blitzes than in year's past, and we depend on them to put pressure on the QB.

Fast linebackers don't mean squat if our DL can't keep the opposing OL off of them. I don't care how fast you are, a 235lb linebacker is going to get mauled consistently by a 300lb offensive lineman if the DL allows them to the 2nd level.

That's why in 2005, despite the fact that we had the greatest tandem of linebackers in Iowa history in Hodge and Greenway, they looked merely average because we were starting one of the greenest DL in Iowa history. But when you go back to 2004, they looked freaking awesome because we had arguably the greatest DL in Iowa history. They didn't forget how to play between their junior and senior years....they simply got eaten up time and again by bigger offensive linemen.

With the spread open attacks these days I see it being an issue against the likes of msu, perhaps Penn St, mich, and nebby. Other than that the running games of these other teams don't particularly terrify me. What does terrify me is green dlinemen getting caught in traffic and scrambling quarterbacks running everywhere... I like our back seven against passing attacks. However, without pressure or containment, the passing defense will also be an issue.

Latest posts