Fast break Purdue to take away their height advantage

uihawk82

Get Hammands and Haas and their other bigs running and playing between the free throw lines. Lute Olsen said he liked to do that against a dominating center like a Joe Barry Carroll, etc. The hawks need to fast break these guys dizzy, wear them down. Woodbury can run the floor pretty well. hawks make baskets and press them to get them running.Get them running and taking bad shots with tired legs, then rebound and fast break. don't let their big guys get set up on defense.

Do the hawks have the better depth, bench, and speed in this game?

True, but to be truly effective in the running game you need to rebound. Yeah, you can run after a made basket but that's at best a trade-off. Rebounding is basically two things: desire and footwork. You've got to want the ball more than anyone and you have to get your feet to a point where you box out the opponent. If we can rebound, we can run. The faster we play, the less effective Haas is; Haas struggles against teams that run the ball. With Hammonds, however, he can run so we have to get him tired and it will lead to foul trouble.

Hass makes Woodbury look like a speed demon.

The he more he's on the floor the better for Iowa. Hammons is much more dangerouse IMO.

True, but to be truly effective in the running game you need to rebound. Yeah, you can run after a made basket but that's at best a trade-off. Rebounding is basically two things: desire and footwork. You've got to want the ball more than anyone and you have to get your feet to a point where you box out the opponent. If we can rebound, we can run. The faster we play, the less effective Haas is; Haas struggles against teams that run the ball. With Hammonds, however, he can run so we have to get him tired and it will lead to foul trouble.

Two things we do not have. The desire is flat (except for Baer & Wagner). And the footwork is apparently not taught by our coaches. I would drill into our players skulls the importance of getting into position, and blocking out until I collapsed. I am amazed every game how many times and how many of our players do not simply, at the least, put a hand on their opponents and try to gain positioning. Unreal.

That's my only beef with Fran. Rebounding. We have never been good at with coach Mac.

Two things we do not have. The desire is flat (except for Baer & Wagner). And the footwork is apparently not taught by our coaches. I would drill into our players skulls the importance of getting into position, and blocking out until I collapsed. I am amazed every game how many times and how many of our players do not simply, at the least, put a hand on their opponents and try to gain positioning. Unreal.

That's my only beef with Fran. Rebounding. We have never been good at with coach Mac.

^^ I agree. The hawks missed a bunch of real close in shots against Sparty and didnt grab hardly any of those misses. On the other end Sparty had guys crashing the board from 18 feet out and not an ounce of Hawkeye skin was laid on them as they slammed down or put back a missed shot.

I think you are correct about desire and footwork/body positioning because if the hawks just reversed the things I mentioned above they probalby win Tuesday nite's game by 25.

The hawks dont seem to follow their shots very often but maybe they are coached to get back on Dee.

I think we've been watching different things during the games. I see a number of the players with good footwork. Our bigs to a pretty good job with footwork, especially Woody (probably because he doesn't really have hops to go up and get the rebound). Rarely are out bigs not boxing out and rarely are they not in the correct position; our guards, well... other than Gesell, none seem to know what boxing out is if it's not at the FedEx drop off. The desire, well... that is an area that can and should improve.

Good point by the OP. I watched most of the Butler vs Purdue game earlier this year and it is the exact way that Butler won the game. Neither Hammonds or Haas were effective in that game. Key was Butler shot the ball well from outside. Lets hope the Hawks can do the same tomorrow. GO HAWKS!!!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

It's why I really am indifferent about this team ... just don't have the physical toughness nor any semblance of a front court. I enjoy watching a really good post player (I loved watching Wisky, last year) and like the game to always run though the post / inside out.

This will never happen under FrannieMac ... he's a guard. Post players need to come ready to play since they won't be properly developed.

I think we've been watching different things during the games. I see a number of the players with good footwork. Our bigs to a pretty good job with footwork, especially Woody (probably because he doesn't really have hops to go up and get the rebound). Rarely are out bigs not boxing out and rarely are they not in the correct position; our guards, well... other than Gesell, none seem to know what boxing out is if it's not at the FedEx drop off. The desire, well... that is an area that can and should improve.

I will give you Woody, that's his strength, but he had that coming in. I can't give you anyone else tho. Blocking out, rebounding has not been an Iowa strong suit in a while. That's all I'm sayin.

I like the "fast break / wear-em-out" strategy but would be equally concerned with having a bunch of dumb transition to's and out of control decisions; especially after Mikey just had a career game and, along with Sapp, went 8/2 - a/to vs MSU. (Have yet to see those 2 put back-back games together at the same time, especially when needed against top-shelf opponents.)

It will really come down to Hawks' shooting +40 f/3, taking care of the ball, getting Uthoff to drive to draw fouls on H & H and hope Woody doesn't become a liability (by missing bunnies and hacking H & H). With that, I can see Iowa wanting to extend
[FONT=minion-pro, Georgia, serif]possessions, quick inside-out passing (Woody will be shut down this game but could still contribute this way), then hitting the dagger-3.[/FONT]

Shoot well from outside, limit the turnovers, and deny their bigs from getting the ball. Do that and I like our chances. That last one will be a tough task. They are absolutely loaded in the frontcourt.

I'm excited for this game. Two different styles of basketball clashing makes potential for a great chess match within the game.

If the refs allow Hammonds, Haas and Swanigan to bang and bully their way to the basket like Costello for MSU, we have no one to stop it. It isn't just their height, but their weight advantage

I'm sure their goal will be to get woody in early foul trouble. Not that woody can jump but he's the biggest guy we got. After that purdue is going to have their way inside.

I agree that Iowa needs to run and gun and hit their 3s to have a chance.

If the refs allow Hammonds, Haas and Swanigan to bang and bully their way to the basket like Costello for MSU, we have no one to stop it. It isn't just their height, but their weight advantage

LOL, WTF are you saying?

Costello didn't do much of anything when Woodbury was guarding him.

So......thats who we have.

I say when Woodbury is on the bench isolate Uhl at the top against Hass/Hamonds.

Its just as big of a missmatch for them to try and stay in front of him.

Get them in foul trouble first.

I will give you Woody, that's his strength, but he had that coming in. I can't give you anyone else tho. Blocking out, rebounding has not been an Iowa strong suit in a while. That's all I'm sayin.

And I will say that blocking out is necessary for all five guys on the floor. If one doesn't (and it's almost always a guard that doesn't) that guy either gets the rebound or knocks the ball loose in a scrum for the rebound. EVERYBODY has to block out, not just the bigs.

Also when you fast break and have a wide open dunk....you should probably make it. Especially if you're 7 feet tall.

Latest posts