Fant made the right move but

I get it the money is a big thing but regardless of the business aspect of it there is still the aspect of values and character and regardless of level of football the team environment is pretty special.

I still see him as a quitter and someone that is putting himself above the team and I think this shows maybe why Stanley chose not to throw him the ball at times. We bitch and moan at the coaches for not getting Fant the ball more but someone still has to throw him the ball and I think it is fair to say that at times the choice was decided to not throw him the ball.
How do you know he didn't make this decision after discussing it with his teammates? If he talked to his teammates and they all wanted him to forego the bowl game, would he be more loyal for disregarding their wishes? If we are talking teams having family-like values I can say with certainty my family would do everything in their power to convince me to not take a huge financial risk with my future for their sake.

You seem to be judging this young man an awful lot from your youth football coaching pedestal without knowing his situation or how he came to this decision. I know this won't change your mind because you are so morally sound and have such a strong character, but maybe it might be worth considering that judging people you don't know might not be the best thing to do? Or is judging others ok with you and your coaching circle?

If Noah thinks it is right for himself that is fine and I cannot blame him but I do not agree with his choice. As a youth football coach it is against everything we try and instill in the young men we coach. It is something very special to be part of a team and is often something that can get you things in life that not being a part of a team can't. Being part of team is like a family and you need to see it through to the end and not give up on each other.

Noah has been part of the team for a a few years now and to bail on his team in my opinion is the wrong choice. Sure he could get injured in the game. He could also get injured training for the combine, slipping on ice, doing stuff at home. As part of a team you only have so many opportunities to play together before it is over and each year is different . He chose last week to make that his last time playing with these guys and I think it is sad. I wish him the best and enjoyed watching him help the Hawkeyes win games but from many different perspectives I don't agree with it and see it as a form of quitting.

But your youth kids aren’t leaving your team for millions of dollars. Can’t preach opportunity and bust on him for putting himself in the best position to make the most money within a limited NFL window. Maybe your youth team is different, but many preach team and will cut the bottom 2-4 kids if the next batch of growth spurt studs comes along. I don’t like it either, for the record.

You cant pass up what he has in front of him From everything I have seen he is a class kid and a good representative for Hawkeye football. But I wish he had waited a few days until after the bowl selection. Probably wont matter but no Fant takes quite a bit of glitter off the Hawks in the eyes of those selecting

This is the only criticism which I kind of agree with. However, is it more of a distraction for him to tell his teammates/coaches/fans/media that he’s out now so all of the above can start preparing now instead of a few weeks. And if the hawks kept in house then the fans would riot if fant didn’t play in the bowl (to us, he would have been available but Kirk sat him)

I think it’s best he announces now and ALL thank him and move on

College sports is a business folks. Has been for a long time and only continues to get more prevalent.

For the majority of DIV-1 players, the degree and playing for the alma mater whilst getting a 'free' education is the endpoint.

For the truly gifted few, DIV-1 is the gateway to generational wealth.

For players like Fant, the latter is the clear avenue to go versus the former.

Again, I would never ever advocate a blind sense of loyalty to any school. You give, you get. Fant gave...now it's time he gets.

I get it the money is a big thing but regardless of the business aspect of it there is still the aspect of values and character and regardless of level of football the team environment is pretty special.

I still see him as a quitter and someone that is putting himself above the team and I think this shows maybe why Stanley chose not to throw him the ball at times. We bitch and moan at the coaches for not getting Fant the ball more but someone still has to throw him the ball and I think it is fair to say that at times the choice was decided to not throw him the ball.
No their isn’t. You are thinking from your perspective and not his. Yours is irrelevant to the decision. You choose the money over risk of injury and no money 1 mill times over. If hockenson plays, he is an idiot for doing so

You cant pass up what he has in front of him From everything I have seen he is a class kid and a good representative for Hawkeye football. But I wish he had waited a few days until after the bowl selection. Probably wont matter but no Fant takes quite a bit of glitter off the Hawks in the eyes of those selecting

Why does it matter? He had 39 receptions in 12 games. His coach doesn't think more gives them a chance to win. What does it matter since someone better is playing in front of him according to his coach. According to some he cost the PSU game. Why do people want him playing them. Of course I'm being sarcastic, but it is what it is. KF is the one who threw him under the bus. A concussion can cause one to not know a play even weeks later.

My guess is that his playing time is a KFism and is KF's choice. NF can react accordingly.

As for hurting Iowa, I would question whether or not KF likes minority athletes at skill positions by now. Real or perceived, I'd guess that is way more damaging.

Why does it matter? He had 39 receptions in 12 games. His coach doesn't think more gives them a chance to win. What does it matter since someone better is playing in front of him according to his coach. According to some he cost the PSU game. Why do people want him playing them. Of course I'm being sarcastic, but it is what it is. KF is the one who threw him under the bus. A concussion can cause one to not know a play even weeks later.

My guess is that his playing time is a KFism and is KF's choice. NF can react accordingly.

As for hurting Iowa, I would question whether or not KF likes minority athletes at skill positions by now. Real or perceived, I'd guess that is way more damaging.
I think that is a bulls**t opinion, and a potentially damaging one at that. I get you don't particularly like Ferentz, and that's your right, but to throw out the race card in this matter is wrong, and I thought you were better then that. Again, going back to what I said earlier, I believe it is an attitude issue, not doing all that was expected of him, and for you to bring up the color of his skin is wrong on all levels. I have read many of your posts, and have agreed with many of them, but this one I have to call you out on!

I think that is a bulls**t opinion, and a potentially damaging one at that. I get you don't particularly like Ferentz, and that's your right, but to throw out the race card in this matter is wrong, and I thought you were better then that. Again, going back to what I said earlier, I believe it is an attitude issue, not doing all that was expected of him, and for you to bring up the color of his skin is wrong on all levels. I have read many of your posts, and have agreed with many of them, but this one I have to call you out on!

I didn't accuse him of it. There is an appearance of it. You are entitled to your opinion. How many dual threat QB's do you think will come here? Fant didn't fit the mold of what is played. Receivers are a known problem in re to being utilized and coming. It is what it is. Call it what you want.

The question is, how will it be perceived? That answer might be disappointing to you. You have no idea how close you are on the players attitude. The coach attitude is easy for recruits to form an opinion on.

20 years and one reluctantly played dual threat QB. The comment was "he didn't know the plays." That can be construed a multitude of ways by recruits.

The lesser athletic TE (although quite good), does EVERYthing we ask of him. That too can be construed a multitude of ways.

I was comparing the possible ways it can be read to thinking not having Fant in a bowl game was going to cause damage....

Players aren't making a decision based on a remote fan on a message board. They are making a decision based on facts. Fact is that highly athletic non white athletes have a hard time proving their worth on the execution of the offense.

I want to disagree with what you responded with, but I am having a hard time with that. I may have responded over zealously to your post, because I don't believe that Ferentz would ever factor in the color of one's skin in regards to earning a spot on the team, but,....his pre-deposition on how he feels will win ball games could factor into who and how he recruits. I am not privy to what went on between the coaching staff and Fant, but I still hold to my opinion that there is more to this then we know. However, I will acknowledge I reacted to your post rashly, without fully understanding what you were trying to get across, and for that, I apologize. Thank you.

I'll just throw this out there. If you have a lot of personality, your path to success in the Iowa football program is going to be a little bit more difficult than someone with less personality.

I'll just throw this out there. If you have a lot of personality, your path to success in the Iowa football program is going to be a little bit more difficult than someone with less personality.

What's your definition of "personality"? Can you be specific?

Bad move considering KF has connections to alot of NFL teams.....
The fact that he's not interested in playing in the bowl game tells you something. Some guys wanna play every game they can with their teammates, enjoy the bowl trip...they know they'll miss it. I'm guessing he's had it with KFz and the lack of snaps. Held his tongue pretty well in the interviews, but he's not happy.

No offense but as a loyal season ticket holder and supporter, I would expect any player who has benefited academically or athetically, should finish the year. Its whats pisses me off about kids like this.
How do you know he didn't make this decision after discussing it with his teammates? If he talked to his teammates and they all wanted him to forego the bowl game, would he be more loyal for disregarding their wishes? If we are talking teams having family-like values I can say with certainty my family would do everything in their power to convince me to not take a huge financial risk with my future for their sake.

You seem to be judging this young man an awful lot from your youth football coaching pedestal without knowing his situation or how he came to this decision. I know this won't change your mind because you are so morally sound and have such a strong character, but maybe it might be worth considering that judging people you don't know might not be the best thing to do? Or is judging others ok with you and your coaching circle?

No offense but as a loyal season ticket holder and supporter, I would expect any player who has benefited academically or athetically, should finish the year. Its whats pisses me off about kids like this.
I get where you are coming from, to a point. But I'll ask you this: if he played in the bowl game and suffered a career ending injury, would you say it was worth it? Would you, as a fan and supporter of the program, still be glad he played? The truth is, as fans we would feel bad for the kid for a while and move on with our lives, because it doesn't directly impact us. But it would change his whole life.

Like I said, I see both sides, but I think it's a little short-sighted and selfish to judge the kid for making the decision he feels is right for his future. And I'm not talking to you specifically here, but I think it's pretty sad that some people are calling him selfish, all because they selfishly want him to make the other decision for their benefit. Some of it is hidden behind morals and loyalty and whatnot, but let's be real...most of those people are just pissy they won't see him play.

The fact of the matter is that none of us know what it's like to be in his shoes, not even close. Why act like we know what the right decision would be? BTW I'm a season ticket holder and supporter too and don't feel he owes me anything.

I truly appreciate what Mr. Fant accomplished in his time with the Hawkeyes, and I wish him nothing but the best in the future of his football career. That being said, I can't help but wonder about his commitment to the team, and think that maybe this is for the best, as we are going to need 100% focus for whatever bowl game we get into. While I think we should have used him in different ways to utilize his abilities, I never felt that he was giving all that he had to help the team as much as he was picking times to shine to help his own status out. Maybe that is an unfair opinion, but its what I saw watching the last 2+ seasons. I do think that coach Ferentz never used Noah the way he should have, but I do think that part of that was due to the inability of the coaching staff to truly trust him to commit heart and soul to what needed to be done at every aspect of the game, including the down and dirty work that needed by a tight end in big ten football games. Again, just my opinion.

Exactly how l saw it.