Fans Who Think They Are Entitled Because the Media Says So

g1381204870984825088.jpg

Darn Husker fans...gotta beat those guys

The comments are pretty good too.

Some Nebraska fans acknowledging that some fans are overexpecting.. while at the same time essentially saying that they SHOULD be competing for championships.

College Football has changed since Nebraska was dominant. Recruiting and evals of top recruits are well known enough that any joe schmo fan knows who the best players are. Competitive facilities are abundant. There aren't really too many hidden dominant players that go into walk-on programs like the Nebraska program was built on.

Couple that with this chart: Chart: College Football Players By State

And start to understand that the deck is stacked against those programs with such little in state talent to begin with! Especially in states that lack good climates, sexy locales, etc (Ya know.. like Nebraska.. the worst state I have ever driven through).. (Let's save Iowa's position on that chart AND the fact there are TWO BCS Level programs within the state for another day)

Not to mention Nebraska left the conference that covers the majority of their recruiting territory..

That history and tradition is THE ONLY THING pulling these recruits to Nebraska..

I don't understand why a high school kid would give a rip about the history of a program. Especially when it was so long ago.

The comments are pretty good too.

Some Nebraska fans acknowledging that some fans are overexpecting.. while at the same time essentially saying that they SHOULD be competing for championships.

College Football has changed since Nebraska was dominant. Recruiting and evals of top recruits are well known enough that any joe schmo fan knows who the best players are. Competitive facilities are abundant. There aren't really too many hidden dominant players that go into walk-on programs like the Nebraska program was built on.

Couple that with this chart: Chart: College Football Players By State

And start to understand that the deck is stacked against those programs with such little in state talent to begin with! Especially in states that lack good climates, sexy locales, etc (Ya know.. like Nebraska.. the worst state I have ever driven through).. (Let's save Iowa's position on that chart AND the fact there are TWO BCS Level programs within the state for another day)

Not to mention Nebraska left the conference that covers the majority of their recruiting territory..

That history and tradition is THE ONLY THING pulling these recruits to Nebraska..

You almost got the thumbs up from me.....almost.

I agree with much of what you say, however, say this is entitled or whatever, but Minnesota should never dominate Nebraska physically the way they did last week. And I'm not one of those "We should be winning championships every year like we did in the 90's" guy.

That can't happen.

You almost got the thumbs up from me.....almost.

I agree with much of what you say, however, say this is entitled or whatever, but Minnesota should never dominate Nebraska physically the way they did last week. And I'm not one of those "We should be winning championships every year like we did in the 90's" guy.

That can't happen.
Don't you play jnw this week? Wonder how that works out for you.

Don't you play jnw this week? Wonder how that works out for you.

Great question. Hopefully NW doesn't try to pound it like MN did. I'm sure the jet sweep will make an appearance, tho.

FWIW, personally, I might not pick NU to win another game this year.

Great question. Hopefully NW doesn't try to pound it like MN did. I'm sure the jet sweep will make an appearance, tho.

Jnw is a team I never count out of a game. They are a scrappy bunch and they very well could get under bo's skin. Good luck!

74H,

You know how I feel about Nebraska, and that's fine. But here is the one thing that I tell other frustrated fans:

The program "worked" during the Devaney and Osborne years because essentially every junior high and high school was running nearly the same offense. If you went to a game in Kearney or Grand Island, it was like watching (albeit smaller and a little slower) Huskers play just wearing different uniforms. This created the ability to get the best kids from in state and compete on a national level with them. It was like your own farm system.

Sprinkle in an Irving Fryar, or a Mike Rozier or a few other out of state talents, and you had something. When Pederson cut that lifeline, it was over at least for now. By hiring a West Coast Offense Head Coach, who had little use for the locals, Nebraska was then forced to compete for the same elite recruits that OSU, Florida, USC, etc. are competing for.

I remember the first time I read in the Weird Herald that local high schools were making the switch to the WCO when Bill c was hired, and I knew it was a mistake.

As one who doesn't like Husker victories, the BC era was the golden age.

I don't know if Frank Solich would ever have been the guy, but I truly believe that if NU had continued to run the option, while mixing in some of the pass plays that Crouch was successful with, and not upsetting the apple cart, Husker Nation would not be in the state it is in now.

Just my $0.02.

74H,

You know how I feel about Nebraska, and that's fine. But here is the one thing that I tell other frustrated fans:

The program "worked" during the Devaney and Osborne years because essentially every junior high and high school was running nearly the same offense. If you went to a game in Kearney or Grand Island, it was like watching (albeit smaller and a little slower) Huskers play just wearing different uniforms. This created the ability to get the best kids from in state and compete on a national level with them. It was like your own farm system.

Sprinkle in an Irving Fryar, or a Mike Rozier or a few other out of state talents, and you had something. When Pederson cut that lifeline, it was over at least for now. By hiring a West Coast Offense Head Coach, who had little use for the locals, Nebraska was then forced to compete for the same elite recruits that OSU, Florida, USC, etc. are competing for.

I remember the first time I read in the Weird Herald that local high schools were making the switch to the WCO when Bill c was hired, and I knew it was a mistake.

As one who doesn't like Husker victories, the BC era was the golden age.

I don't know if Frank Solich would ever have been the guy, but I truly believe that if NU had continued to run the option, while mixing in some of the pass plays that Crouch was successful with, and not upsetting the apple cart, Husker Nation would not be in the state it is in now.

Just my $0.02.

I think you are 100% spot on, but there are a few other things that happened, IMO.

1) the 85 scholly limit hurt.
2) Not allowing/reduction of Props
3) The redcution of the walkon program under Crapahan
4) Kids that used to walkon are now going elsewhere. Ohio, No Dak, So Dak, and Iowa are giving schollies to kids that used to walk on.

Its no big secret that we were excellent (heck in many sports, baseball, mens basketball, football to name a few were the same) when we had a lot of very good Division One talent instate that stayed home. We just haven't had that level of talent in state recently. There are kids that our progams feel are marginal talent, project kids, or don't quite fit our blueprint that are taking schollies elseswhere. I can't blame them. Do you want to pay your way at Nebraska, or get a full ride to Iowa or Ohio? If I were in that position, of course my heart would be in Lincoln, but my head and pocketbook look elsewhere.

I think you are 100% spot on, but there are a few other things that happened, IMO.

4) Kids that used to walkon are now going elsewhere. Ohio, No Dak, So Dak, and Iowa are giving schollies to kids that used to walk on.

Its no big secret that we were excellent (heck in many sports, baseball, mens basketball, football to name a few were the same) when we had a lot of very good Division One talent instate that stayed home. We just haven't had that level of talent in state recently. There are kids that our progams feel are marginal talent, project kids, or don't quite fit our blueprint that are taking schollies elseswhere. I can't blame them. Do you want to pay your way at Nebraska, or get a full ride to Iowa or Ohio? If I were in that position, of course my heart would be in Lincoln, but my head and pocketbook look elsewhere.

solid post. many of the things you list apply to iowa as well. fry said as much regarding the 85 limit in high porch picnic.

solid post. many of the things you list apply to iowa as well. fry said as much regarding the 85 limit in high porch picnic.

Agreed. There are a few differences 1) even though Iowa has a higher population, you have to split Div 1 athletes with ISU (even though I would assume more kids lean towards the Hawks than to the Clones) and 2) Nebraska has better tradition. The problem with our tradition is that when we were good, most of these kids were in diapers and don't have any recollection of it. Means a lot to the fans, but doesn't really mean much to recruits. And 3) I think that our facilities are probably comparable to anyone in the country. I've heard that Iowa is considering upgrading their football facilities to better compete, but to be honest, I don't have much knowledge of your teams facilities other than what I have heard.

Agreed. There are a few differences 1) even though Iowa has a higher population, you have to split Div 1 athletes with ISU (even though I would assume more kids lean towards the Hawks than to the Clones) and 2) Nebraska has better tradition. The problem with our tradition is that when we were good, most of these kids were in diapers and don't have any recollection of it. Means a lot to the fans, but doesn't really mean much to recruits. And 3) I think that our facilities are probably comparable to anyone in the country. I've heard that Iowa is considering upgrading their football facilities to better compete, but to be honest, I don't have much knowledge of your teams facilities other than what I have heard.

Iowa has updated their football facilities. Brand new indoor practice facility was completed a year ago, and the new football complex will be complete soon I believe. When Gameday was at Oregon they had footage of their football complex nicknamed the "Death Star". That building was as cool as it gets. It's one thing to keep updating facilities, quite another to compete with the likes of Oregon in that dept.

I think it's interesting that you mention Nebraska's walk-on program kind of drifting off because those players are choosing North Dakota, South Dakota, or Iowa. I had never though about that, but it's a fair point. Given the way the Husker defense has performed this year I think it's safe to say Drew Ott would have either started at Nebraska or earned significant playing time at the very least. He was one of the kids who likely would have walked on in the 90's. With that said, Bo and Co. should be able to spot that kind of talent regardless of what level they play at.

Also, Hawkeye fans have been saying this since Coach Kaz left Iowa City, but he's a bad egg. It's tough to motivate young men when you can't figure out a way to relate to them. Not every kid is wired the same way. You have to know how to push each one in their own way. Kaz only has one mode. It's ahole mode. Hard for some kids to put up with that crap all the time. Then again, Bo isn't exactly the warmest character either.

I think it's interesting that you mention Nebraska's walk-on program kind of drifting off because those players are choosing North Dakota, South Dakota, or Iowa. I had never though about that, but it's a fair point. Given the way the Husker defense has performed this year I think it's safe to say Drew Ott would have either started at Nebraska or earned significant playing time at the very least. He was one of the kids who likely would have walked on in the 90's. With that said, Bo and Co. should be able to spot that kind of talent regardless of what level they play at.

I agree, and Iowa has a pretty nice pipeline into Omaha. Olsen, Fischer, Prater, Tarpenian (I think, may have mispelled a couple of names or missed on a couple of kids) are some guys that could have contributed at Nebraska.

Also, Hawkeye fans have been saying this since Coach Kaz left Iowa City, but he's a bad egg. It's tough to motivate young men when you can't figure out a way to relate to them. Not every kid is wired the same way. You have to know how to push each one in their own way. Kaz only has one mode. It's ahole mode. Hard for some kids to put up with that crap all the time. Then again, Bo isn't exactly the warmest character either.

Interesting, and I'm not sure how to respond. I know that something isn't right with our front 7, not sure what it is. But the DL has been below average for a few years, pretty much since Suh left. I haven't really heard much about or from Kaz, but I'd bet you'd be surprised at how much these kids and their parents(suposedly) really like Bo. Sometimes it doesn't translate to the field, at least not the last couple of years it hasn't . He is supposedly a players coach.

I believe the bolded has had a major impact on several programs. The next big change comes in 2016 when the requirements to play or practice as freshmen increases. My thought is that some conferences are not going to be able to fill their rosters with freshman recruits. The JUCO's are going to see an influx of some major stars.

Latest posts