Fans throwing KOK under the bus

homerHAWKeye777

As the FACTS have slowing been revealing themselves to us ... it's increasingly seeming as though the issue on O had nearly everything to do with a complete lack of focus by many players on the team (apparently many of those being on O). When you combine that with the fact that our D was a bit hamstrung by our LBs ... the results of what we witnessed are far less surprising.

The SHAMEFUL thing to note is how quickly many fans were so quick to throw O'Keefe under the bus. And even some were maligning Ferentz. Sorry, but the coaches can say and do ALL the RIGHT things ... and, in the end, these young men still end up having to make their own beds. I know for A FACT that Ferentz doesn't turn a blind eye to these issues ... I know that he does his very best to address them. Thus, this isn't analogous to a bad parent or something like this. The fact of the matter is that sometimes kids who have great parents still end up making dumb decisions. This doesn't mean that the kids are bad ... however, it does indicate that they could be too dumb/immature for their own good. Hopefully they get their crap together before it's too late ....

I guess I dont understand this

When you say lack of focus I assume you mean DJK and ARob with others to be named. Yet those players were not the problem with the offense and played hard every week.

The reason KOK and KF get "thrown under the bus" are for larger reasons like play calling and time management.

You have to admit the play calling this year was choppy at best. This is some of the best offensive personnel we have had since 2002 and the fact is that KOK and KF didnt get near enough out of it

I never called for KOK to be fired but I can see why people were frustrated.

I guess I dont understand this

When you say lack of focus I assume you mean DJK and ARob with others to be named. Yet those players were not the problem with the offense and played hard every week.

The reason KOK and KF get "thrown under the bus" are for larger reasons like play calling and time management.

You have to admit the play calling this year was choppy at best. This is some of the best offensive personnel we have had since 2002 and the fact is that KOK and KF didnt get near enough out of it

I never called for KOK to be fired but I can see why people were frustrated.

Completely agree...... whether or not most of the O was on the coke bus or not, what happened this year with the O is the same thing thats happened in past years with poor clock management and shotty play calling. And if the rumors are true about all the players having a problem, then I would sure as hell hope one of the coaches would have been able to tell them something was wrong as much time as they spend in practice, meetings, film study etc.

Another shot at the fanbase.. Ok. Players come and go, but the coaches remain, yet the offense remains consistently mediocre. How do you explain that? Just that "the kids" aren't getting it done? I don't buy that. Unless you're saying this type of thing has been going on every year. Who knows.

Sorry, but I don't see how you can ignore the shaky offenses for the better part of the last 11 years. The defense can be Top-10 or Top-15 every single year, so why can't the offense improve? You imply that it's all on "the kids"? I don't buy that.

I think the point the OP was trying to make is that while this year's offense was expected to be solid because of all the returning experience and talent, it's obvious now that there was a lot of crap going on behind the scenes with key players. Factor in the injuries and it adds up pretty quickly.

Blame KOK, don't blame him. I don't care. There were factors beyond his control at work here.

Completely agree...... whether or not most of the O was on the coke bus or not, what happened this year with the O is the same thing thats happened in past years with poor clock management and shotty play calling. And if the rumors are true about all the players having a problem, then I would sure as hell hope one of the coaches would have been able to tell them something was wrong as much time as they spend in practice, meetings, film study etc.

LOL!

This completely side-steps the issue of the focus of the players. Classic smoke-and-mirrors ploy.

Busabus, among others, should read some great breakdowns by sdbolt on the scout board when it comes to breaking down the strategies implemented by Iowa's O.

Iowa fans and even perhaps some of the players HATE TO ADMIT IT ... however philosophically, Iowa football is built primarily off of toughness, hard work, discipline, and execution. The great thing about those attributes is that those are TANGIBLES that the players can control ... at least if they throw themselves into the system. And, when they do, Ferentz and Co have the RESULTS to prove that it WORKS!

The great thing with what Iowa does is that the largest share of credit goes to the players. What's more ... it really does an AWESOME job of preparing young men to succeed in life ... at least those who throw themselves into it. And, for those who end up managing to become starters ... it allows for most of them to get a LEGIT chance to make it on a pro-roster ... something that ISN'T true on most D1 squads.

Is it true that the coaching staff still has some warts? Sure they do! They certainly have made some boner errors when it comes to time-management. Obviously not every play that is called is a gem. That happens.

While I love that the coaches place such emphasis on fundamentals ... I think that it would also behoove them to also remember that the young men that they work with are still just "young men." Thus, it still might behoove them to inject a little bit more fun into things. Of course, I'm an outsider ... so, for all I know, maybe they already do that to some extent. On a related note, I think that this issue is related to the fact that the coaches could still arguably do a better job when it comes to player motivation.

However, all the above said, I think that the few coaching negatives get FAR outweighed by the positives.

The offense has pretty much consistently sucked under KF/KOK, regardless.

But hey, if it makes you feel better to find a way to excuse away how bad the offense was this year, feel free. Just be on the look out for new excuses next year, because you'll need 'em.

LOL!

This completely side-steps the issue of the focus of the players. Classic smoke-and-mirrors ploy.

Busabus, among others, should read some great breakdowns by sdbolt on the scout board when it comes to breaking down the strategies implemented by Iowa's O.

Iowa fans and even perhaps some of the players HATE TO ADMIT IT ... however philosophically, Iowa football is built primarily off of toughness, hard work, discipline, and execution. The great thing about those attributes is that those are TANGIBLES that the players can control ... at least if they throw themselves into the system. And, when they do, Ferentz and Co have the RESULTS to prove that it WORKS!

The great thing with what Iowa does is that the largest share of credit goes to the players. What's more ... it really does an AWESOME job of preparing young men to succeed in life ... at least those who throw themselves into it. And, for those who end up managing to become starters ... it allows for most of them to get a LEGIT chance to make it on a pro-roster ... something that ISN'T true on most D1 squads.

Is it true that the coaching staff still has some warts? Sure they do! They certainly have made some boner errors when it comes to time-management. Obviously not every play that is called is a gem. That happens.

While I love that the coaches place such emphasis on fundamentals ... I think that it would also behoove them to also remember that the young men that they work with are still just "young men." Thus, it still might behoove them to inject a little bit more fun into things. Of course, I'm an outsider ... so, for all I know, maybe they already do that to some extent. On a related note, I think that this issue is related to the fact that the coaches could still arguably do a better job when it comes to player motivation.

However, all the above said, I think that the few coaching negatives get FAR outweighed by the positives.

How is it smoke a mirrors ploy? You called out the team for not being focused, yet so far the disciplined players were two of the best players throughout the season. Your original prognosis is questionable. Players have to make plays on the field, I get that. And I agree with it. But the coaching staff failed this team in 2010 more than the players did. I don't know how anyone can argue that.

Yes injuries took their toll. But we were still in every single game. And proceeded to lose the games the same. freaking. way.

The coaches lost the team this year with their approach, and no one had any fun. It's a little bit of a stretch (that I don't know if I necessarily agree with) but maybe that's the reason we're having these problems. No one has any fun so that have to resort to going out and getting a bit crazy.

But yeah I do agree with you there, there isn't much fun. I'm taking a class right now that's called Theory and Ethics of coaching. And the number one thing that was stressed, and statistically backed up was that athletes have to have fun. That's the reason they play the game is to have fun. I don't think anyone had fun this year. I still remember Stanzi's response at the football complex when asked if they had fun.

"When we win."

That's a good answer per se, as no one wants to lose. But they never seemed like a loose group that liked to enjoy themselves. It was a business only atmosphere, and it wore thin in my opinion, especially with the way we lost and no changes.

However I agree completely that the coaching positives far outweigh the negatives. It's just right now the negatives in every aspect seem to be coming down on Iowa right now so it's easier to talk about.

The playcalling did not optimize the talent of the players on the field. Instead it was predictable and conservative which led to very few 1st downs in the 4th quarter of every loss which led to the D being on the field far too much which led to game winning drives for the other team. The playcalling is to blame for every loss this year. The Minnie game also had the infamous loss of will to win factor.

With an average ranking of 61st in total offense over 12 years, what was the reason the other 11?

With an average ranking of 61st in total offense over 12 years, what was the reason the other 11?

Yep...here is my problem with Homer's argument. Sure this season we had some internal strife that cost us offensive continuity this year....but even considering how much talent we had this year, I don't care how unfocused you are, you should still score some points.

Do you know what Western Kentucky and Akron have in common? They both scored more points on the Indiana defense than Iowa did....think about that for a second....perhaps the most talented offensive roster we've ever had couldn't put up more than Akron/Western Kentucky.

I readily admit that lack of player focus played a big part this year, but I could make a pretty convincing argument that inept coaching played just as big of a role (especially with regard to time management - how the hell do you not learn from the first four mistakes on the year with regard to that? It appears the coaching staff just chose not to address it).

Also, it appears that Homer feels it isn't at all the coaches responsibility to get their players motivated....that is a complete crock of BS. The best coaches (the ones that are worth $4M a year) know how to get their players motivated and focused on nearly every Saturday. Ferentz chooses to not manage the emotional aspect of the, rather, he has made the determination that his monotone demeanor on the sideline is a positive for the team....and in some ways it is, however, if he doesn't want to manage that aspect of the game, he better damn well make sure he's got some coordinators that can....because managing the emotional aspect of the game is what keeps players focused, and KF takes a really laid back approach to that.

Seriously, how many times in the last decade have we been rated in the top 35 offensively? I'd bet 3 or less....and in 02, if I remember correctly, we were barely inside the top 25 with the Davey O'Brien winner at QB, and an offensive line full of 5 NFL caliber players. What makes our offensive ineptitude even more frustrating is the fact that a team like Wisconsin, who runs nearly an identical offense, can score almost at will on anyone - they dropped 83 on that same Indiana team we scored 18 on. You know what the primary difference is? It isn't that dramatic a difference in personnel, it is the fact they have an OC that knows who to run the kind of offense that they are running.

I saw the team get off the bus in Evanston. I was pretty far away, but I think I caught a hint of the smell of reefers emanating from the team buses (maybe I was imagining it, maybe it came from somewhere else). It was a miracle we scored 17 points in that game and O'Keefe should be given the highest Congressional civilian award for his ability to get the team to even score 17 that day. O'Keefe should get an extension that lasts as long as Ferentz's contract because the offensive production of 18, 17, 17 and 17 to close out the season was nothing short of a miracle. Indiana, NU and Minnesota have some tough defenses and it was clear DJK wasn't at the top of his game those days, otherwise he would have put up 4 TDs per game.

How is it smoke a mirrors ploy? You called out the team for not being focused, yet so far the disciplined players were two of the best players throughout the season. Your original prognosis is questionable. Players have to make plays on the field, I get that. And I agree with it. But the coaching staff failed this team in 2010 more than the players did. I don't know how anyone can argue that.

And who are you referring to?

From what I've heard, and this is coming from within the program, the team was suffering some from SOME guys playing too much for THEMSELVES. There is a reason why many folks refer to football as being the "ultimate team game."

As for the fact that you're taking a class on coaching ... I'm already an educator. There you have to realize that there are large differences between academic training and vocational training ... just as there are large differences between undergraduate and graduate course-work.

Let me tell you ... my undergraduate physics exams were such that each problem could be done within a period of a few minutes. The problems were often kind of fun ... much like solving puzzles. However, many of my graduate physics exams were such that each problem required AT LEAST 3 hours ... and thus, were obviously of a take-home nature. Those exams weren't fun ... however, they WERE a labor of love of sorts.

In your class on coaching ... does it mention the fact that you HAVE TO consider the nature of the sport. There is a HUGE difference between large-revenue sports versus small-revenue sports. Players who are in small-revenue sports are obviously going to need a different sort of motivation than others. Furthermore, how many job opportunities actually exist for athletes that are directly related to their small-revenue sport? In contrast, when you're dealing with a large-revenue sport ... as Ferentz does ... you're looking at a case where you can legitimately give ALL of your starters a legit chance to earn a job. Furthermore, your brightest football minds also have a great shot of landing into coaching too! And, others even have chances of landing into sports media, among other areas. Thus, it really behooves Ferentz and Co to place the emphasis they do on development, fundamentals, and work-ethic. It really does ENHANCE the chances of their players to land jobs that are in an area that they love.

Also, it appears that Homer feels it isn't at all the coaches responsibility to get their players motivated....that is a complete crock of BS. The best coaches (the ones that are worth $4M a year) know how to get their players motivated and focused on nearly every Saturday. Ferentz chooses to not manage the emotional aspect of the, rather, he has made the determination that his monotone demeanor on the sideline is a positive for the team....and in some ways it is, however, if he doesn't want to manage that aspect of the game, he better damn well make sure he's got some coordinators that can....because managing the emotional aspect of the game is what keeps players focused, and KF takes a really laid back approach to that.

Basic strategy here bud. How often do you see teams NEGATIVELY feed off of the energy of their coach? Usually, when the tide turns in such programs ... it turns grossly to the worst.

Iowa currently is contending with some internal issues. However, I'd hardly consider them irreperable.

Rather, Ferentz's even-keel demeanor played a legit role in having the team NOT completely unravel. Even in the midst of all the issues that the team had been contending with, it should NOT be lost on fans and players that the team LOST 5 games by a combined margin of only 18 points!

And who are you referring to?

From what I've heard, and this is coming from within the program, the team was suffering some from SOME guys playing too much for THEMSELVES. There is a reason why many folks refer to football as being the "ultimate team game."

As for the fact that you're taking a class on coaching ... I'm already an educator. There you have to realize that there are large differences between academic training and vocational training ... just as there are large differences between undergraduate and graduate course-work.

Let me tell you ... my undergraduate physics exams were such that each problem could be done within a period of a few minutes. The problems were often kind of fun ... much like solving puzzles. However, many of my graduate physics exams were such that each problem required AT LEAST 3 hours ... and thus, were obviously of a take-home nature. Those exams weren't fun ... however, they WERE a labor of love of sorts.

In your class on coaching ... does it mention the fact that you HAVE TO consider the nature of the sport. There is a HUGE difference between large-revenue sports versus small-revenue sports. Players who are in small-revenue sports are obviously going to need a different sort of motivation than others. Furthermore, how many job opportunities actually exist for athletes that are directly related to their small-revenue sport? In contrast, when you're dealing with a large-revenue sport ... as Ferentz does ... you're looking at a case where you can legitimately give ALL of your starters a legit chance to earn a job. Furthermore, your brightest football minds also have a great shot of landing into coaching too! And, others even have chances of landing into sports media, among other areas. Thus, it really behooves Ferentz and Co to place the emphasis they do on development, fundamentals, and work-ethic. It really does ENHANCE the chances of their players to land jobs that are in an area that they love.

I am referring to the only two players who will not be joining Iowa to the bowl game against their own will. Adam Robinson and DJK. They were two of our best players this year.

I don't really know where you're going with the rest of your post. It doesn't matter what sport is is, wheter it is high revenue or not. The reason people plays sports is to compete and have fun. Period. Then once you get past that you start getting into money, celebrity status, etc, but the foundation of all participation in sport is to have fun. Doesn't matter what level or how much money it brings in.

I was simply agreeing with your notion that this team didn't seem to have fun.

I am referring to the only two players who will not be joining Iowa to the bowl game against their own will. Adam Robinson and DJK. They were two of our best players this year.

I don't really know where you're going with the rest of your post. It doesn't matter what sport is is, wheter it is high revenue or not. The reason people plays sports is to compete and have fun. Period. Then once you get past that you start getting into money, celebrity status, etc, but the foundation of all participation in sport is to have fun. Doesn't matter what level or how much money it brings in.

I was simply agreeing with your notion that this team didn't seem to have fun.

That's a key difference ... in the NFL, football is a JOB.

Latest posts