Fan expectations being too high...

Yeah, I know, but according to Ryno, the Big Ten is da bomb, and any win is a signature win.

Minny is beatable at Iowa, and the Hawks gotta think they can steal a road win against a good team. They did it last year, and they are much improved.

Absolutely the team has to think that way. But as a fan, I just don't see them winning at Minnesota or Indiana. Those are historically very tough places to play for Iowa.

I just really don't like having to bet so heavily on beating Minnesota in Carver in order to get a quality win.

What did you actually expect for this season?

Ive seen several posts of "hello NIT" and "bye bye NCAAs". Honestly if you predicted this team, which STARTS three Frosh and one Soph, would go to the NCAA tourney you are to blame for your unrealistic expectations being burst.

Our biggest problem right now is inconsistency. Whether it be over the course of the whole season or in a game. We have moments of toughness, intelligence, and excitement followed by moments of weakness, stupidity, and dullness. We play a decent game against Wisconsin and then play bad games like today. We are inconsistent because we START three Frosh and one Soph. We are young.

NIT this year. NCAAs next. And Im totally ok with this.

-Seacrest out!

I expected pretty much what we are seeing, given that before today's game I had them at 13-6 and 2-5, which is what they were. They are now just one game off the pace I had for them.

They are shooting worse than I expected they would, as a team, but I didn't have high hopes for them from three to begin with. That said, I also didn't predict Marble would miss the MSU game and suffer the ill effects of that practice injury this deep into a season, either.

BUT, I can't think of many areas where Iowa has been consistently better than what I had hoped...they are about what I thought they'd be; a team that would flirt with an NCAA bid this year and be back in the NIT.

I expected pretty much what we are seeing, given that before today's game I had them at 13-6 and 2-5, which is what they were. They are now just one game off the pace I had for them.

They are shooting worse than I expected they would, as a team, but I didn't have high hopes for them from three to begin with. That said, I also didn't predict Marble would miss the MSU game and suffer the ill effects of that practice injury this deep into a season, either.

BUT, I can't think of many areas where Iowa has been consistently better than what I had hoped...they are about what I thought they'd be; a team that would flirt with an NCAA bid this year and be back in the NIT.

Not even on the defensive end?

I guess I see that as having plenty of opportunities to right the ship with a signature win. But you can give up on the season if you like.

Iowa doesn't many chances left for a signature win. Maybe Minnesota, maybe Illinois if they get their act together, but that's it the rest of the way. Right now their signature wins are Wisconsin and Iowa State.

Purdue's not doing any better than us, really.

And this year there is no way Iowa should be losing to Purdue even at their place. They gave away yet another win this year, that is not a sign of a good basketball even at all that is a sign of a BAD one.

Yeah, I know, but according to Ryno, the Big Ten is da bomb, and any win is a signature win.

Minny is beatable at Iowa, and the Hawks gotta think they can steal a road win against a good team. They did it last year, and they are much improved.

My point is that ISU will have an opportunity to rack up a lot of wins in a weak conference. Iowa doesn't have the opportunity to rack up a lot of easy wins. ISU is a good team in a bad conference. Iowa is a good team in the best conference. However, I didn't expect Iowa to make NCAA this season anyway. ISU I did and they should with that talent. Iowa was in a crap hole as one of the worst teams in the country just a few years ago so the fact that Fran has Iowa even mentioned/playing in any postseason tournament using underclassmen and players that he recruited is rather incredible.

While a lot of people didn't expect Iowa to make NCAA tourney, the fact that they've given away several possible wins - can't win close games - is frustrating. At some point they need to win those games and not just have moral victories.

Doesnt anybody pay attention to how hard it is to win on the road in the B1G?

The Hawks are far from having their bubble burst.

The problem with that line of thinking is that Iowa's conference slate is actually one of the easiest. Very front-heavy with few chances to impress in the second half. And the more of these toss-up games they lose, the more pressure they put on themselves to beat Minnesota or Indiana.

This might be a situation where the Big 10 not being able to play a round robin schedule hurts. For ISU they are going to be what they are because they play each team twice.

Maybe Iowa doesn't beat Michigan in Carver, but it would have been nice to see them try.
Same goes for Ohio State.

While it would have been tougher, it would probably have worked out better to just play Neb, and PSU on the road, and take your chances with that, and replace 2 home games with OSU and Michigan.

Still it's not even Feb. yet, lots basketball to be played, and a Big 10 tourney too..

My point is that ISU will have an opportunity to rack up a lot of wins in a weak conference. Iowa doesn't have the opportunity to rack up a lot of easy wins. ISU is a good team in a bad conference. Iowa is a good team in the best conference. However, I didn't expect Iowa to make NCAA this season anyway. ISU I did and they should with that talent. Iowa was in a crap hole as one of the worst teams in the country just a few years ago so the fact that Fran has Iowa even mentioned/playing in any postseason tournament using underclassmen and players that he recruited is rather incredible.

While a lot of people didn't expect Iowa to make NCAA tourney, the fact that they've given away several possible wins - can't win close games - is frustrating. At some point they need to win those games and not just have moral victories.
But let's not fool ourselves here. Iowa gets about 7 easy games in the Big Ten. It's a great conference, but pretty weak at the bottom and comparable to the B12 there. I saw today that the B10 and B12 have the same number of teams in the top 45 on KenPom.

But let's not fool ourselves here. Iowa gets about 7 easy games in the Big Ten. It's a great conference, but pretty weak at the bottom and comparable to the B12 there. I saw today that the B10 and B12 have the same number of teams in the top 45 on KenPom.

There are six B!G teams in Pomeroy's Top 16...and one from B12. Iowa has played the toughest schedule in the country since December 31st.

There are six B!G teams in Pomeroy's Top 16...and one from B12. Iowa has played the toughest schedule in the country since December 31st.
No dispute there. But Iowa gets all the bottom feeders late. My point is that while the B10 is great at the top, they are not so great at the bottom, comparable to the B12,and that is where Iowa gets to feast. Ryno talked about all of the "easy" wins that ISU gets... I countered that Iowa gets about 7 of them as well.

Talk about cherry picking games......

You have to take the conference slate as a whole because that's how the Selection Committee is going to take it as they examine these teams. At the end of the year I don't think there is going to be much of a question that Iowa played one of the weaker Big 10 slates.

No dispute there. But Iowa gets all the bottom feeders late. My point is that while the B10 is great at the top, they are not so great at the bottom, comparable to the B12,and that is where Iowa gets to feast. Ryno talked about all of the "easy" wins that ISU gets... I countered that Iowa gets about 7 of them as well.

No, the BIG is better at the bottom than they have been. PSU would be better if not for an injury to their best player. NW beat Baylor. Nebraska won their ACC game and had a winning record. Other leagues are much worse at the bottom.

No, the BIG is better at the bottom than they have been. PSU would be better if not for an injury to their best player. NW beat Baylor. Nebraska won their ACC game and had a winning record. Other leagues are much worse at the bottom.
1. I would be Einstein if only I were smarter. 2. Baylor is Baylor is Baylor.
3. Go ahead and hang your hat on Nebraska.

You have to take the conference slate as a whole because that's how the Selection Committee is going to take it as they examine these teams. At the end of the year I don't think there is going to be much of a question that Iowa played one of the weaker Big 10 slates.

I'm sorry, didn't Iowa open it's schedule on NYE? He never insinuated that the committee would consider the opening stretch. Just that Iowa has played the toughest schedule since the conference season began.

I apologize to all for feeding the troll, but you're telling us about cherry-picking games?

Trivia Question: Which poster on here kept playing the "Iowa's 2-5 and Wisconsin's 5-2" card in another thread earlier?

a) activebadger
b) activebadger
c) activebadger
d) True

Wisco has had four out of seven at home so far, and games against PSU, Nebraska, and two teams (ILL and MINN, both at home) that lost to Iowa's weakest conference opponent so far. Not saying schedule strength or record over a particular seven-game stretch are or aren't relevant, but if one is relevant, then so is the other.

Latest posts